Mystery ranch

maverick351

Lil-Rokslider
I'm curious how many people who've bought the Pintler wished they had bought the Metcalf or even the other way around. Pintler just seems so versatile but the Metcalf is all the rage it seems.

I'm curious how many people who've bought the Pintler wished they had bought the Metcalf or even the other way around. Pintler just seems so versatile but the Metcalf is all the rage it seems.

I think Randy Newberg uses a Metcalf and so you know- it must be the answer.

I used the longbow for the longest time. I’ve got the pintler now. There’s not much to it. Just enough. But I don’t carry much in with me. And I don’t stay in for anymore than 4 days before I come up for air.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trial153

WKR
I can't see my self trading my pintler in any time soon. I use it as much as my Metcalf maybe more depending on what hunts I have lined up for the year.

I had a custom bag built by ruggedstitching (sponsored here) for my NICE frame. Actually, I’ve had three bags built by Adam and they have all been beyond awesome. MR makes some good packs, but now I have exactly what I want, how I want it. It also didn’t cost me half of my kids college tuition to get it either.

Poltax

Lil-Rokslider
I guess the answer is "Get Both"!!... I have had a Metcalf for about 4 years. Just bought the Pintler. I see uses for both. Last year I decided I wanted a little smaller pack for day use. But still be able to carry out a load of meat if I needed too. I will then swap out the Pintler at the truck, to the Metcalf for any remaining trips. I have had 80 pds in my Metcalf and it does great. I am looking forward to see what the Pintler does.

Idahomnts

Lil-Rokslider
I have the pintler and don’t really have an urge for bigger bag as anything of serious hauling is goin into the load shelf in a dry bag, or as said above , if I need some kind of big bag it will be made from rugged stitching , rather help a guy out rather than a franchise , the Pinter is perfect for day hunts and packing out meat, in the works for a load panel and small pouch for strictly retrieving loads,

OP
M

maverick351

Lil-Rokslider
I'm thinking the Metcalf would be nice maybe once a year for but the rest of my hunts I can use the Pintler. I love the tri zip and the daisy chain on the Pintler

NDGuy

WKR
I bought the Metcalf last year because I caught wind the Pintler was going to be offered bag only. Now I have two packs that I can use in practically any situation for about $620 toal ($420 for metcalf and $200 for Pintler bag).

I really like them both. I think I will exclusively use the Pintler bag this year, nothing big planned.

I had both. I also had an overload bag which is from their mil line and about 10 liters bigger than the Pinter but basically the same bag. I sold my Pintler bag because it was a little too close to my pop up 28 in capacity.

I think the pintler and metcalf are just on one side or the other of a particular function. The pintler is a very big day pack that can do an overnight but can punch up as a hauler. The metcalf is a 3-5 day bag that can still work as a day pack.

I am fortunate to have both. If I had to choose between them it would based on the duration of my hunts. Day hunt to 2 days = pintler. 2 or more = metcalf.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I think one of the best features of the separate suspension systems is you don't need to pick one bag, you can run what is appropriate for the situation. Haul panel, day/overnight bag, huge bag, etc. I'm pretty fond on my twin tube day bag for day hunting and spike camp hunting (bring camp in via a haul bag on the load shelf) but I'd use an completely different bag for bivy hunting to have more capacity in the main bag that is consolidated vs a haul bag on load shelf.

+1

Thank god they put the frame back on the outside.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had a Metcalf and loved that frame, but liked the actual bag a whole lot less. It was too big for my preferences as a day-hunting pack. Sure it collapsed and I did that, but I just grew weary of a scrunched-up wrinkly pack with 6' of excess webbing hanging off it like streamers. All of this is solvable but I realized I just didn't care for the Metcalf setup when doing spot-stalk with my close-range bow.

I haven't tried to do it, but I'm 98-1/2 per cent sure I could rig my Pintler/GL frame to carry as much gear as I would need for a 3-5 day (maybe longer) trip. I would definitely employ a sizable load cell on the mid-shelf, and then add some lightweight capacity to the outside back and/or bottom of the pack via the existing compression straps. Drop the load cell(s) at camp and have the much more nimble pack by itself for hunting use. I'll probably be doing this very thing on an upcoming combo hunt. I plan to get dropped into a caribou area (mountains) along with my gear for 7-8 days of solo hunting. Once dropped, I'll load up the pack and hike in to a more remote spike camp. After the caribou segment is finished I'll relocate to moose camp for a couple weeks. The Pintler pack is going to get a workout, lol.

boom

WKR
i love my Metcalf. it retired my "other pack". (turned it into my trout fishing pack at a minimum)

i will be out on the elk mountains this year, but thankfully..TRUCK CAMPING. so wont have to suffer living with "daypack mode", which i hate.

having said that, i will more than likely retire my DragonSlayer this year when i order the Pintler bag only. BUT, there is not pack that affects my bow shot less than the DragonSlayer. i think it is the lack of load lifters..it is so streamline.

i have a metcalf, a marshall and a pintler. I like my marshall for longer than two day trips and i like the pintler for day trips. I cannot see the pintler being big enough for me to use on overnighters. It is a day pack for me. One thing i did do is add buckles to my pintler so my lid from my marshall attaches the same way to the pintler and I love that I have that option now. MR has a new model called the Selway that is built like the pintler with the three way zipper which I love but it its 3700 cubic inches. Guess I need to try that one too. Long and short...if i need to be overnight i use the metcalf or the marshall. The pintler is a day pack with enough stuff i will be able to survive if I get stuck overnight....

and of course now i need to order a selway so i can try that out too..... I have a feeling I am going to like it very much. I really like that center zipper on the Pintler and I don't like the access on the Metcalf so the selway seems like it will be the answer.

https://www.mysteryranch.com/selway-60-pack?quantity=1&size=XL

Last edited:

mtnhmr

FNG
Had the Metcalf, returned it for the Pintler. Logic being, larger capacity = more gear, without attention to selection.

The tri-zip with internal pod organization is a cream show; so easy to open the bag, pull out a pod and toss it back in. Additionally, I take my Pintler with me as a primary bag for international travel as a carry-on (without issue).

Add a compression panel to the Pintler and you have a multi-use dynamic pack.