Opinions on Alps Outdoorz Commander X Backpack!

Troy1971

Lil-Rokslider
Unfortunately I cannot afford $600-800 for a backpack. I am very interested in the Commander X. I love the way the pack removes from the frame so you can haul meat etc. But i’m worried on how durable the material is? Or how comfortable the pack is with a load? I’m looking for opinions from people that have used the pack or are using the pack and their pictures and stories. Thank you

Last edited:

PredatorX

WKR
Hey man not to sound harsh or a snobby or whatever but if you paid me money to use this pack I just wouldn't do it. Well it depends how much I guess.

For the same amount of money you could outfit yourself with a kifaru. Bikini frame and an Argali or DT1. It would last you a heck of a lot longer then that Alps. It would also carry better and hold its value better. It would also be more versatile. It would also weigh about half of what that 9 pound beast does. $350 is way too much for that pack....don't do it man! Find a used bikini frame in the classified. They are popping up now. Then buy the bag. Sure it would be more spartan and you could add accessories on as you wish....but then you'd have a hell of a bag that is one of the best money can buy....all for 350 bones.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Never used that pack from alps. But, I have used several alps packs. They are not a Kifaru but, they will sure get it done. People that tell you otherwise are telling you from something besides experience with alps products. The only thing that would make me steer clear of it would be if I had a very long torso. Rendering the load lifters useless.

They aren’t the cool choice. They aren’t the best choice. But, they will do the work if you can. Good luck and God Bless

I once owned a Alps outdoorz traverse pack because I wanted to save money. So, I took it to Montana on an elk hunt and it was a nightmare. The pack was beyond terrible. 30lb felt like 100lb. NO load lifting capability. Once I got home I bought a kifaru. Please take it from me that these packs are some of the worst packs known to existence. Watch the classifieds on here and snag a good deal. You wont regret it.

OP
T

Troy1971

Lil-Rokslider
Hey predatorX u say bikini frame, what is the real name of frame? What is Argali and DT1?

PredatorX

WKR
It actually is called the bikini. Kifaru doesn't actually make it anymore but you are starting to see them show up in the classifieds because guys are wanting kifarus newest frame. It is a really light frame that is best at about 100 pounds and under. It's a great frame and one of the best for hunting with it on your back. By that I mean it seems to meld into your body better as you draw a bow, etc. With it though you give up a little bit on the monster sized loads or really ackward loads. It is still a very popular and respected frame.

Argali and DT1 are just two models of bags that would attach to the frame. The great thing about kifaru is all bags and frames are compatible! I mentioned these two because they are big bags...7000 cu inches and can be had for about 150 bucks. I use the Argali. Depending on how you plan to use it may dictate which bag to get. For me, I like a big bag, because I can compress it down when not expanded. I also like a simple bag to keep the weight down. The bonus of this is you are not paying a lot for the bag and you will have one of the lightest kifaru setups around. The Argali is nice because you can add extra pockets later on as you find the need. All of their bags offer this to some extent though. Kifaru offers lots of different bags. Some really great ones have been discontinued but don't ever let that steer you away.

The other great thing about kifaru is their secondary market is strong. You get a bag or frame that you don't like and you will have no problems getting your money back.

I run the argali on the duplex frame and its a great set up. I've also added the guide lid and a medium belt pouch. The argali is a huge bag and I can easily get 7-10 days worth of back country out of it. Kifaru DC'd it but keep your eye out and you'll find one in the $150 range like predatorx said above.

OP
T

Troy1971

Lil-Rokslider
Wow lots of info. Thanks guys. I’m a big bow hunter. I will pack for 2-3 days. I would luv ideally to be able to drop main bag at base camp then use small bag day bag and frame all day hiking just so I don’t half to pack that big bag all day compressed. Just a bag big enough to carry a couple sandwiches and munchies, Headlamp, knife small stuff. But I want to pack the frame all day just in case I am successful and I can come back to camp heavy. So a 7000cu is to big. I am not familiar with kifaru at all so. I do Cary a spotting scope and pod too. Any ideas on bag? What about that hunters frame or duplex frame can they handle a hind quarter of an elk?

If you stick with Kifaru, which you should, they have plenty of options with packs. However, I would advise you to really think about your decision when picking out a pack due to it adding up quite quickly. What I like about a bigger pack is that I can compress it and use the belt pouches/guide lid when the big bag is not in use. You may not hunt elk, moose, bear, etc now but you could in the future and will want a bigger bag. If you want something in the middle then keep an eye out for a mountain warrior. These are 5700 CI and you could add pockets if need be. If you're really set on a small bag then look at the 14'er, urban ruck or a woodsman. If I was you I would def look for a pack >5K CI and compress as need be.

OP, after you spend all summer looking for a Bikini and one of the pack bags these guys are telling you about before realizing one time don't make it so, go buy you a pack frame you can afford and go hunting. Most of us here had to do the same thing when we got started too. I've seen one bikini go for less then $250 and, only one Argali go for $150. Not saying it doesn't happen but, you'll see for yourself, it doesn't happen often. A DT1 for less then $250? Forgetaboutit.

IF you had asked about what to get without mention of a smaller budget, I would have too told you Kifaru. Because, I do agree, Kifaru is the best and, I would highly recommend them if you want comfort and quality. Good luck and God Bless

EastMT

WKR
Good lord. I am seriously shocked that an animal was ever killed prior to the invention of Kifaru.

I am also shocked when someone says I can’t afford a kifaru, everyone says buy a kifaru. It’s on every post, every time.

I’ve hunted with sub par packs, it’s not as comfy, but yes, sheep, goat, everything else are killed with old beat up packs and new low end packs every year.

Hell I can steer you to a walk in sheep hunting video from the last few years of a guy in a mil surplus pack, 17 miles in, with extratuf rubber boots with a Remington 710 factory scope, gets a big ol bruiser! A similar hike in goat hunt on the Kenai peninsulas, extratufs and fish processing bib overalls.

On the net, nobody kills anything without a $5000 set up.

In the real world, there are people killing things in $100 setups.

If you absolutely can’t afford the best, then buy something and go hunting. I did all kinds of hunts several goats, sheep, caribou, bighorn sheep. I never realized I had a subpar pack until I found the Internet. The high end packs are amazing, but if you have $100, find one and get out there and get it done.

My first 2 goat hunts were with a riverswest jacket, bad, non stretchy pants, bad, eberlestock pack, bad, Nikon xl spotter, worse, but I did have good hiking boots. You know what? We brought home 2 goats, I didn’t realize I was miserable till I found the forums hahah. Go hunt! Good luck.

Good lord. I am seriously shocked that an animal was ever killed prior to the invention of Kifaru.

I am also shocked when someone says I can’t afford a kifaru, everyone says buy a kifaru. It’s on every post, every time.

I’ve hunted with sub par packs, it’s not as comfy, but yes, sheep, goat, everything else are killed with old beat up packs and new low end packs every year.

Hell I can steer you to a walk in sheep hunting video from the last few years of a guy in a mil surplus pack, 17 miles in, with extratuf rubber boots with a Remington 710 factory scope, gets a big ol bruiser! A similar hike in goat hunt on the Kenai peninsulas, extratufs and fish processing bib overalls.

On the net, nobody kills anything without a $5000 set up.

In the real world, there are people killing things in $100 setups.

If you absolutely can’t afford the best, then buy something and go hunting. I did all kinds of hunts several goats, sheep, caribou, bighorn sheep. I never realized I had a subpar pack until I found the Internet. The high end packs are amazing, but if you have $100, find one and get out there and get it done.

My first 2 goat hunts were with a riverswest jacket, bad, non stretchy pants, bad, eberlestock pack, bad, Nikon xl spotter, worse, but I did have good hiking boots. You know what? We brought home 2 goats, I didn’t realize I was miserable till I found the forums hahah. Go hunt! Good luck.

+1

My hunting partner and one of my best friends hardly spends any money on new gear, let alone big money.

Funniest damned thing happened in MT this November..........I shot a Mule deer at 202 yards with my semi custom rig $3,000 and it died........
He shot the one right next to it with his $300 rig and it died 20 feet away from mine.............

Go buy the Alps, they have regular "Backpacking" style ones on sale right now in a few places for $59 marked down from $199.

PredatorX

WKR
A good pack is one of those things you really shouldn't skimp on if you don't have you. Especially if you hunt it hard. Of course you can use any old pack out there. If you are resourceful you can get the best bang for your buck and only have to do it one time.

For WV, since he needs help finding deals. He has too much money.
http://www.rokslide.com/forums/rokslide-classifieds/95519-fs-kifaru-bikini-frame.html
Of course this one sold but keep looking or place a wtb add. I bought a bikini a few years ago for $225 shipped.

There is an argali right now for 150 in the classifieds but not sure if it is sold.

You have to act fast and check the classifieds often.
Make no mistake though, if purchasing a better pack means you have to sacrifice some hunting time due to financially swinging for the pack, then just get a cheaper one. I do think I would put the top 4 in this order...Hunting, boots, optics, pack.

PredatorX

WKR
Oh and like Shakedown eludes to, it doesn't have to be a kifaru....Shakedown's killer deal is a perfect example of getting the most bang for your buck. These other guys are rich so they don't need to worry about that. Just ask WV how many high end frames he owns. .....just bustin your balls WV.

A good pack is one of those things you really shouldn't skimp on if you don't have you. Especially if you hunt it hard. Of course you can use any old pack out there. If you are resourceful you can get the best bang for your buck and only have to do it one time.

For WV, since he needs help finding deals. He has too much money.
http://www.rokslide.com/forums/rokslide-classifieds/95519-fs-kifaru-bikini-frame.html

That was the one I was referring too. And, like I said, they aren't unheard of but, hunting season could come and go before he finds one. Several may come and go before he finds another one for $200. That is a guarantee. Now, if he can just find a Bikini frame for $150 he can have the same amount of money in them as he would the Alps pack he was referring to. It is a meat hauler as well.

As far as high end frames, I've had four with the fifth on the way. However, I have packed a lot of dead critters in "lesser" packs. I didn't know that at the time. I just went hunting with what I had and could afford. I wore Surplus packs, Coleman's, One cheap external frame that came over on the MayFlower that I don't even know the name of, and some "cheap" versions like Alps and badands before stepping up in "quality". They all worked, I survived and before I knew better, never batted an eye at using them. If I lost my Kifaru's today, I promise if I'm still alive and able, I'll be in Colorado hunting elk with one of Surplus rigs come September.

I understand what you guys are saying. By all means if he can put a Kifaru in his house for what he can afford, he'd be better served to do so. No one doubts that.

God Bless men

I ran the alps freighter pack (I know it’s not as nice) for 2 years. I knew this would be the last year for it as all the fabric is wearing through and things are breaking. That’s my experience with the quality from them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
T

Troy1971

Lil-Rokslider
I just joined rokslide about two weeks ago. And I love the site. And I really appreciate fellow hunters opinions on gear. I have used several packs in the past. I’ve been using a blacks Creek for last couple of years. I don’t plan on buying another pack that’s why am looking for A good set up. I’m 46 and probably only have another 20 good years left in me. I have been looking at Kifaru and Exo. Kifaru has a lot of options and I guess that’s good. I wish there was a dealer in Oregon or I could Touch them. Again thank you for your honesty and your opinions