Opinions on Alps Outdoorz Commander X Backpack!

Whitetoptom

Lil-Rokslider
Upgrade your gear one piece at a time if your budget dictates that. When you go to upgrade long term pieces like a pack think about the possibility of that piece lasting for many seasons and serving you well for it's lifespan. Plan ahead and upgrade as you can. Quality pays for it's self in the long run.
I bust my rear for the man, pay my bills and take care of my responsibilities at home. There is always some left over for me to play with and it try to be mindful of every dollar I spend on gear. I have trashed more dollars of subpar gear than I have spent on real quality. I'm not going into the stuff that I run just my two cents on the topic of budget.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

gumbl3

WKR
I had one.. I like the layout of pockets on the bag.. I buried up my Rhino and had to pack in a winch 2 miles on it ~60 pounds.. wasn't the most comfortable thing but it did the job and I didn't question the durability, seemed to hold up fine..

If I remember the bag had grommets and there were tabs on the frame that you had to feed a key ring through on each one to hold the bag. Taking the bag on and off was kind of a PITA I always kept a couple extra just in case I lost one

you can call Seek Outside and see if they have any discounted packs left over from trade shows and such. I've called before and they had quite a few items in the "pile" as they call it. it may not be exactly what you want, but you can get a nice deal off a nearly brand new pack.

EastMT

WKR
With tapatalk you can choose to remove from public view in the options up top. I tried erasing an old one, that’s the only way I know

OP
T

Troy1971

Lil-Rokslider
I am trying to delete this post but I cannot find out how. Some say Tapatalk and it will give u the option. But I cannot find Tapatalk at The top of the page as they say. I’m trying to delete this post off my phone can somebody tell me how?

EastMT

WKR
fb2668efc1f4018013a8f0cf605b0bf7.jpg
818a7b5835e90ffef4136cc75891ff2b.jpg
cfe9b497ab2c429441aece1724eca900.jpg

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I used a cabelas alaskan frame pack for awhile, it got the job done, I even had a plastic stocked 270 with a fixed power scope, basic 130g silvertips took my first sheep with that stuff.

OP
T

Troy1971

Lil-Rokslider
The top of my screen does not look like that. I have the 3 dots but none of this options??? Mine says (Bulletin) in big letters, then Facebook beside that??

The top of my screen does not look like that. I have the 3 dots but none of this options??? Mine says (Bulletin) in big letters, then Facebook beside that??

You don’t need to delete it. This is a good forum. It’s nice to see people’s opinions on this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You don’t need to delete it. This is a good forum. It’s nice to see people’s opinions on this.

As someone that has been considering the alps X series packs, I agree there's no need to delete the thread. The more info that's out there, the better!

btplass

Lil-Rokslider
I have an Alps commander X frame and pack. It seems to be well constructed. I've worn it for some training hikes and it just didn't fit me well (I have a short torso). I think for a taller guy (5'11" and up, or guys with a torso longer than 21-22") this pack would get the job done well.

I agree with some other posters that I don't think the pack is quite worth the $350 list price, but they are around for cheaper. I'll sell mine to you if you'd like.

Sent from my RS988 using Tapatalk

TravisIN

WKR
I have one I’m considering selling if any of you guys interested in these are still looking for one.

Ratamahatta

Lil-Rokslider
Good lord. I am seriously shocked that an animal was ever killed prior to the invention of Kifaru.

I am also shocked when someone says I can’t afford a kifaru, everyone says buy a kifaru. It’s on every post, every time.

I’ve hunted with sub par packs, it’s not as comfy, but yes, sheep, goat, everything else are killed with old beat up packs and new low end packs every year.

Hell I can steer you to a walk in sheep hunting video from the last few years of a guy in a mil surplus pack, 17 miles in, with extratuf rubber boots with a Remington 710 factory scope, gets a big ol bruiser! A similar hike in goat hunt on the Kenai peninsulas, extratufs and fish processing bib overalls.

On the net, nobody kills anything without a $5000 set up.

In the real world, there are people killing things in $100 setups.

If you absolutely can’t afford the best, then buy something and go hunting. I did all kinds of hunts several goats, sheep, caribou, bighorn sheep. I never realized I had a subpar pack until I found the Internet. The high end packs are amazing, but if you have $100, find one and get out there and get it done.

My first 2 goat hunts were with a riverswest jacket, bad, non stretchy pants, bad, eberlestock pack, bad, Nikon xl spotter, worse, but I did have good hiking boots. You know what? We brought home 2 goats, I didn’t realize I was miserable till I found the forums hahah. Go hunt! Good luck.
Send me them video links, I'd love to watch them I'm serious. I use a modified ILBE and have used it for 5 years and it's still going strong. I've used it for elk, deer, and turkey. Only paid $58 for it on eBay.

JWP58

WKR
I like my alps commander x. Not Instagram cool, but it works.

I paid 239 for mine new, and added a mountain ridge gear cody pack to it. I can run just the frame and cody pack for a day setup. Its hauled out a few critters and works for me.

Last edited:

JWP58

WKR
I have an Alps commander X frame and pack. It seems to be well constructed. I've worn it for some training hikes and it just didn't fit me well (I have a short torso). I think for a taller guy (5'11" and up, or guys with a torso longer than 21-22") this pack would get the job done well.

I agree with some other posters that I don't think the pack is quite worth the $350 list price, but they are around for cheaper. I'll sell mine to you if you'd like.

Sent from my RS988 using Tapatalk

You can adjust the torso length

JWP58

WKR
I had one.. I like the layout of pockets on the bag.. I buried up my Rhino and had to pack in a winch 2 miles on it ~60 pounds.. wasn't the most comfortable thing but it did the job and I didn't question the durability, seemed to hold up fine..

If I remember the bag had grommets and there were tabs on the frame that you had to feed a key ring through on each one to hold the bag. Taking the bag on and off was kind of a PITA I always kept a couple extra just in case I lost one

You are thinking of the regular commander external frame. Not the commander x.

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
The Alps looks extremely similar to the old Kelty Cache Hauler, I wonder if they purchased the rights? It looks like they switched to a less effective hipbelt (Kelty was full wrap, Alps is a pseudo three piece).

At over 9lbs for the entire setup, there is no way that I could personally justify the weight.

However, you could hack one of these on a budget and do pretty well. Get just the frame and suspension, remove the bottom load shelf and the load wings, replace the compression with 1" webbing and SR buckles, then remove the hipbelt and add one of our hipbelts (Seek Outside). Then use a dry bag for your packbag and take a daypack you already have.

This would give you a pretty comfortable hauling platform and probably be around the 5-6 lb mark and around $250-$300 all in if you already have a daypack.

Advantages would be weight and pretty comfy after the belt swap, drybag is rainproof, drop frame at camp and hunt with daypack.

Overall I'm not a fan of frankenpacks. They're fiddly and often don't work as well as a dedicated solution, but in this case I think it would be superior to the Commander.

JWP58

WKR
The Alps looks extremely similar to the old Kelty Cache Hauler, I wonder if they purchased the rights? It looks like they switched to a less effective hipbelt (Kelty was full wrap, Alps is a pseudo three piece).

At over 9lbs for the entire setup, there is no way that I could personally justify the weight.

However, you could hack one of these on a budget and do pretty well. Get just the frame and suspension, remove the bottom load shelf and the load wings, replace the compression with 1" webbing and SR buckles, then remove the hipbelt and add one of our hipbelts (Seek Outside). Then use a dry bag for your packbag and take a daypack you already have.

This would give you a pretty comfortable hauling platform and probably be around the 5-6 lb mark and around $250-$300 all in if you already have a daypack.

Advantages would be weight and pretty comfy after the belt swap, drybag is rainproof, drop frame at camp and hunt with daypack.

Overall I'm not a fan of frankenpacks. They're fiddly and often don't work as well as a dedicated solution, but in this case I think it would be superior to the Commander.

The commander X is not the external frame pack (which resembles the kelty cache hauler).

This is the commander X
https://www.cabelas.com/product/ALP...nGVM95gJ0oj-Ecav7kgaAvJnEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds