Opinions on Alps Outdoorz Commander X Backpack!

Unfortunately I cannot afford $600-800 for a backpack. I am very interested in the Commander X. I love the way the pack removes from the frame so you can haul meat etc. But i’m worried on how durable the material is? Or how comfortable the pack is with a load? I’m looking for opinions from people that have used the pack or are using the pack and their pictures and stories. Thank you

Take a look at the Slumberjack Bounty 2.0. You can get it for under $300 new and it will get the job done.

beardedbowhunter

Lil-Rokslider
I bought a Commander X. I figured it would be a good pack but I haven't backpacked with it yet or carried any weight. I wish I could've bought an EXO but I just don't have the funds.

beardedbowhunter

Lil-Rokslider
Man I'm starting to think I messed up buying this pack. Seems like a sturdy pack though. I don't like that it's 9lbs empty.

I could sell it and buy an EXO for a couple hundred more.

Man I'm starting to think I messed up buying this pack. Seems like a sturdy pack though. I don't like that it's 9lbs empty.

I could sell it and buy an EXO for a couple hundred more.

I just received the commander x and loaded the meat shelf with 60 lbs and took a 2.5 mile hike. Once I got it adjusted right it was fairly comfortable. Yes the entire pack is heavy but for this year I couldn’t afford to drop $500+ on a pack since I had to gear up from the bottom. Maybe next year I can sell it if I don’t like how it goes and try out a more high end pack.

Just remember there are people out there that use Duluth packs and old military rucksack every year and I have seen them while in the woods. These are claimed to be very uncomfortable and heavy also, yet they still get used.

Spend what you can afford and upgrade if needed later. Spend the money on tags and GOOD boots. Boots are your lifeline!

Good luck on your hunt!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Salmon River Solutions

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
As I get older I try to adopt the buy once cry once attitude. I have two alps packs from 4 years ago. One I haven’t used much as it was the wife’s. The other one has 3 broken buckles, including the belt. In all honesty, you get what you pay for. Stuff on them breaks quickly. I just told my friend to buy an alps pack for this season because for what he can afford, it will serve him the best. (For this season and MAYBE next season) your pack is something that directly affects the quality of your hunt. Loud zippers could spook an animal, a strap could ear and render the pack useless, a seam can rip and you could lose your rangefinder. I don’t have a top of the line pack, but my badlands pack gets the job done after 3 very tough years. I load it with 50-70 lbs and jog-run to get in shape. The weightlifting plates are wrapped in towels but it’s still a good test for a pack. I’m very very tough on my gear. My next purchase will be a blacks creek solution.

beardedbowhunter

Lil-Rokslider
I just received the commander x and loaded the meat shelf with 60 lbs and took a 2.5 mile hike. Once I got it adjusted right it was fairly comfortable. Yes the entire pack is heavy but for this year I couldn’t afford to drop $500+ on a pack since I had to gear up from the bottom. Maybe next year I can sell it if I don’t like how it goes and try out a more high end pack.

Just remember there are people out there that use Duluth packs and old military rucksack every year and I have seen them while in the woods. These are claimed to be very uncomfortable and heavy also, yet they still get used.

Spend what you can afford and upgrade if needed later. Spend the money on tags and GOOD boots. Boots are your lifeline!

Good luck on your hunt!

Ya you're definitely right. I think some in this thread are thinking of the older version. This one seems solid. I am currently debating if I want to sell it and buy an EXO or just wait until next year so I can get other better gear now.

You are running out of time. Use what you got. There are far worse options then ALPS. Plus, you knew it was 9 lbs decked out when you bought it. What has changed now?

schmalzy

WKR
If you are still looking, another reasonably priced option is a surplus USMC ILBE. Should be able to find one around $100 or less. Not the best for everyone, but certainly proven as capable for hauling.

beardedbowhunter

Lil-Rokslider
You are running out of time. Use what you got. There are far worse options then ALPS. Plus, you knew it was 9 lbs decked out when you bought it. What has changed now?

I didn't realize at the time that 9lbs was considered heavy for a pack with a built in hauler. I also have a little bit more money to spend so I am looking at upgrading things already. Just deciding what exactly I want to upgrade.

If you don't return it/sell it and get an Exo then you will be on the mountain a day into your hunt wishing you had gotten rid of it for an Exo. Just do it and you wont regret it.

beardedbowhunter

Lil-Rokslider
If you don't return it/sell it and get an Exo then you will be on the mountain a day into your hunt wishing you had gotten rid of it for an Exo. Just do it and you wont regret it.

That's what I'm worried about. It's already nagging at me to get an exo. I'm basically in the process of upgrading all of my gear right now. Want to get Crispi boots to get rid of my Cabelas boots. I am going to buy a Cimarron most likely so I don't have my 5.5lb tent and have the ability to run a stove. I'd like to get a spotting scope but I am probably just going to get a tripod only and mount my binos for now.

So much gear to buy. That is why I'm hesitant to buy the Exo. I'd have to pony up another $300 on top of what I sell my Alps pack for.

JWP58

WKR
If you are really concerned about weight and money, just use the suspension/frame and run a large dry bag. Most of the weight is located in the bag and lid.

your having buyers remorse after youve done more extensive research. your comparing quality 5-6+lb packs to a budget minded 9 pound pack.look at it this way. if your hauling meat with it doubt youll know if your load is 50 pounds or 53.

TravisIN

WKR
So I bought the commander x for the same reason. I had a lot of gear to buy and it all adds up pretty quick. So I picked one up on eBay for a good price. It was a really solid built pack. I know that I haven’t owned all the others to compare it to, but it’s pretty easy to tell when something is going to be durable. It was definitely heavy, if I remember 9lbs 4 oz (or 7 0z). The frame set up was pretty nice and attaching a load and getting it secure was very easy. The lay out of the bag was nice. I liked the separate storage for sleeping bag on the bottom. Made it easy to stuff sleep system into there. The lid was nice. I didn’t care for the accessory bag on the back. Nothing wrong with it and could be useful but I didn’t need it so I just left it off. Would have been good to throw a tarp in or tent rainfly in to keep separate from everything else in case they were wet. The torso is adjustable, a bit of a pain to do but not too bad. It comes with rainfly, weapon boot and two hip pockets which you have to add on everything else. They are definitely contributing factors to the extra weight. All in all a good pack for a first pack on a budget. Honestly compared to the others in that price range, (badlands, Tenzing, etc) it’s way better just based on the detachable frame and load carrying abilities. Now I did just pick up a mystery ranch Metcalf and can tell that they are in completely different worlds. The fit and comfort of the MR are phenomenal and carrying the same load as the Alps, it even more apparent. But I paid twice as much for the MR and it didn’t include the fly or hip belts. So the Alps is not a Kifaru, SG, Exo, or MR, but is a solid pack for the price and category I’d put it in. I don’t think a guy would be disappointed if your on a budget getting started out.

Edit: forgot to add

If you are a small guy, waist wise, the Alps may not be for you. The belt doesn’t come in sizes and doesn’t cinch down super small. Before I lost 30 pounds it was fine but losing a few pant sizes and having to bottom out the belt made heavy loads a little tougher to keep up on my hips.

chukar_chaser

Lil-Rokslider
My buddy just bought this pack and we used it this weekend. He loved it and it seemed like a durable pack. We will see how it holds up. Great value for the $$$ IMO.

If Kifaru, Seek outside, EXO, or anyone else made a pack that offered everything this Alps does, it too would weigh close to or at least 9 pounds complete. And, costs $3000. But, it ain't cool to say that.

JWP58

WKR
I will say I fluctuate between a 34 or 36" waist and if I were to dip down below a 32 (ain't happening lol) I think the hip belt would be too big. Weight is the only drawback to this pack besides the hip belt size.

Would I pay retail of 330? No, but on sale i would (and did at 230).

I like it better than my old kuiu icon and ultra (the ultra suspension sucks)

BobbyMac

Lil-Rokslider
May have been said already...but if I was on a tight budget I'd prob get an LL Bean Carryall for 70.00 bucks and a dry bag and go hunting at under 5lbs for the ounce counters. If your gonna go cheap...go filthy nasty cheap and save even more money for a quality pack next year!!
Hunter's Carryall Pack

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"

Good luck on your hunt!

I used a worse backpack than that for many many years before I got a higher end pack, I still managed to get all sorts of animals I though.

Tradchef

WKR
Keep looking in the classifieds on here and archerytalk. Plenty of packs show up. Brands to look at for cheaper packs would be alps, eberlestock, badlands, slumberjack, osprey, Rei or look for a military pack similar to a Barney’s to get started. We have all started there. Hell.....I was out a couple years ago and had left my mystery ranch in the truck and took my rei trail 30 because I was just planning on scouting. I shot a nice 5 pt whitetail and packed him out on that pack. I had a 3mile walk one way and yes it sucked but it worked. I know for myself I like to sell off gear I’m not using and make a savings fund for gear. Good gear is worth it’s weight in gold most times. It’s easy to find great deals anymore since everyone wants the latest and greatest. If you can find a nice deal on kifaru, mystery ranch, Exo, Sg, hill people gear, KUIU or an eberle I say go for it. Get a used pack, beat the crap out of it and start saving for the one you want. It might tak a few years but pull still be hunting and having a more enjoyable hunt with a solid pack