SG Questions

Browsing some of the SG packs and I know VERY little about backpacks - how all the different frames are, what packs do what, etc so I'm hoping I can ask some questions here and have you guys help me.

Anyways, I looked at the Avail 2200, and I see it says it can be used with its own suspension and internal frame, or it can be mounted to one of their external frames. So with just the bag, is there any meat hauling capability? I see pictures with a second pouch between the frame and the pack - I assume thats on an external frame?

Without the Avail bag mounted to one of their frames, I’d say the meat hauling capability is pretty limited. The shoulder straps on the Avail are the same as on their frames so they are no doubt comfy but the internal frame in the Avail is a thin sheet of HDPE (probably) with two thin rods forming an X pattern for reinforcement. People will tell you the Avail is capable of carrying as much weight as you are because of the suspension but it certainly doesn’t perform like their external frame.

I used mine last week on a high mileage, high vert ski mission with about 25 pounds and loved it. But 25 lbs isn’t a lot of meat.
7a18efcca4fbf7507ef28ba840c804ee.jpg

USMC307

Lil-Rokslider
I agree with Beefman. I did haul a turkey this year and the Avail worked great. Wouldn’t want much more weight without the frame.
3b431152fff6d3de44f8b0c39a29e7c8.jpg
8fbf2a9c1553ac4e7abbe3c8769c8aad.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1shotgear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Browsing some of the SG packs and I know VERY little about backpacks - how all the different frames are, what packs do what, etc so I'm hoping I can ask some questions here and have you guys help me.

Anyways, I looked at the Avail 2200, and I see it says it can be used with its own suspension and internal frame, or it can be mounted to one of their external frames. So with just the bag, is there any meat hauling capability? I see pictures with a second pouch between the frame and the pack - I assume thats on an external frame?

In all honesty the avail 2200 could haul meat, but I wouldn't recommend it. Also, it depends on how much you're trying to haul. If it was a quarter I would look at the 1700 or the 1800. I use that for a day bag most of the time hunting just because it comes with the Xcurve frame. Everything can stay in the bag while I put the meat directly to the frame. I really only use my avail for turkey hunting or hiking and fishing. Sometimes I'll use it for a carry on, but that's usually the only things I use it for

Last edited: