Opinions on sg solo 3300 with x curve

So I have posted a few other times with help on packs since I am new to this. I won’t go through everything but I bought a mr ranch pintler and just think the guide lite frame is not for me. Any ways I was looking at the sg 3300 and wondering 1, if this is too big to do 98% day hunts with? And 2, I really like having pockets on the side for tripod and spotting scope, what do you do with those items? Just put them in the bag? Next thing is I think part of the problem with the guide light frame is that it is straight, apparently my back has quit a bit of a curve and am wondering if it would be worth trying and make a noticeable difference? I am not really found of spending $600 on a pack but if I find something comfortable it would be worth it. Maybe others have more recommendations? Also the solo 3300 bag doesn’t seem to impress me a ton as I kind of like more pockets, but I could live with it I think. Thanks

OP
S
Also I should say I am getting more overwhelmed and confused by the day. But also there has been some great people who have offered good advise to help me narrow it down alittle at a time.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I really love my SG solo, I’ve only had it out with 40 and 50 lbs in it but it feels great. I personally don’t like stuff strapped all over my packs so I appreciate the simplicity of the solo. You can compress it down tight to the frame and get some belt pockets for small things which is fine for me. I plan to use mine on a few shorter 2-5 day hunts this year and I’d have no issue taking it out on a day hunt either.

OP
S
If day hunts were your main concern, would you still have got this pack? Or it just works for day hunts?

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
I didn’t care for the fit and feel of the mr frame. My xcurve fits me much better. Volume wise the 3300 should be fine for day hunts, providing your gear is dialed in and fairly compact. What I mean is if you’re still finding out what works for you (bringing duplicates to try out and compare) bulky clothing, etc it can be tight. A friend had that bag and seeing what he carried I had to trim down. I ended up having a custom bag made of approximately that size. I could max it out with gear for a cold late season elk hunt or only about half of it for early season. Thing is if I had to carry a lot of water for a dry hot area I would use about 3/4 of the pack. Oh adding the access bag gives another 800+/- ci

If you’re on the fringe with space, you could shove a bulky item like a sitting pad, extra jacket between the bottom of the bag and lower straps. I think they make a spotter pocket that attach via side webbing.

I have a Solo 3300 with the X-curve and I packed my elk out with it last December. It's really a light pack and easy to secure loads with. I was able to adjust it to fit my body nicely but took me a while to feel comfortable using it the correct way. The only thing I don't like about the pack is IMO it needs at least 1 additional pocket maybe even 2. SG is a fantastic company to work with also.

Strictly for day hunts, this bag would be way more than big enough, but I definitely don’t think it’s too big. Like what’s already been said, it compresses down to nothing (and is very light wt.), yet is still big enough for a multi day hunt. Several years ago my 12 yo son used a Solo for a week long goat hunt and it worked out great. He did have it maxed out, volume wise, though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
If day hunts were your main concern, would you still have got this pack? Or it just works for day hunts?

Sure, I like having a bit of extra space and it compresses down really well. Seems like it would be a good bet if the majority of its use was day hunting and possibly an occasional overnight or multi day trip.

I’ve looked at those daypack specific bags SG makes to fit their frames and they are cool but you would be 100% limited to day hunts with the 1700cu capacity.

OP
S
Thanks everyone for the replies! I think this might be the one to try next. I also would like to get some of their extra pockets maybe down the road. I would like them right away but I am having alittle problem pulling the trigger on just the pack. Alittle sticker shock!

aion2come

WKR
A few other options to consider. 1. The Exo 3500 or 2000. This is a great frame system for guys under 6'1". It is super comfy and can carry weight. Bags compress super small. check out their side pockets as that is a feature you mentioned. 2. Buy a frame system such as the SG, Exo, Kifaru, etc ... and get rugged stitching to make you a custom bag to your specs. He does some nice work and is a Rokslide sponsor. You can find pics of his work here on the forums. 3. Find a used Kifaru Duplex Timberline 3. It sounds like it would fit the bill for you.

OP
S
I was actually deciding between the exo 2000 and 3500 as I really like the pack layout. My only problem is that they also have a straight frame, have heard it’s not as straight as the guide light, but I really feel that is my problem. In order to have the waist tight enough to not sag, the pack was way of my back on the top, causing me to feel like I was getting pulled pack. Basically tetoring, if that’s a word, on the middle of my back.

1shotgear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
So I have posted a few other times with help on packs since I am new to this. I won’t go through everything but I bought a mr ranch pintler and just think the guide lite frame is not for me. Any ways I was looking at the sg 3300 and wondering 1, if this is too big to do 98% day hunts with? And 2, I really like having pockets on the side for tripod and spotting scope, what do you do with those items? Just put them in the bag? Next thing is I think part of the problem with the guide light frame is that it is straight, apparently my back has quit a bit of a curve and am wondering if it would be worth trying and make a noticeable difference? I am not really found of spending $600 on a pack but if I find something comfortable it would be worth it. Maybe others have more recommendations? Also the solo 3300 bag doesn’t seem to impress me a ton as I kind of like more pockets, but I could live with it I think. Thanks

The Xcurve frame in my opinion is the best out there. It forms to your back way better than any of the other packs I've tried/used. The Stone Glacier Solo 3300 is a great pack for a day hunt or even a 4 day hunt. It packs down to almost nothing and is super light weight. the load shelf is rated for 150lbs but if you're willing to haul more best of luck to you. Go with the 3300 you will be very please with the pack.

OP
S
I ordered the solo 3300 today and got 10% off for being a rockslide member through 1st shot gear. With no shipping it isn’t that much more than the pintler. I’m excited and hope it works out. Next on the list is exo.

frankrb3

WKR
I ordered the solo 3300 today and got 10% off for being a rockslide member through 1st shot gear. With no shipping it isn’t that much more than the pintler. I’m excited and hope it works out. Next on the list is exo.

I love my xcurve and I think you’ll find it to be an awesome setup. I run the 5900 bag as my do all pack.

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
Also a huge SG fan. I used Kifaru for about 5 years and tried the G1 Frame G2 Then the new version hunter frame and the Tactical new version before this latest. Once I switched to SG Xcurve it was night and day for me. Not saying Kifaru is bad and I love the company and what they do and their products. I still own a few Kifaru packs. But the Xcurve for comfort has been the best. Ive also tried the 1st gen Exo frame which worked well also. Many great companies out there. But a pack is something that either works for you or doesn't. The Xcurve just fits me like a glove and I am super comfortable in it.

I own the Sky Talus 6900 the Solo and I just got a Avail. the Solo is one of my favorites. I can slap the lid on it and get 3-4 days out of it without an issue. But only you are going to figure that out for yourself. If you only day hunt then yes the Solo is more then enough room to run around the mountains with. but if you are looking for 7-10 day hunts then a bigger bag will be needed unless you plan to rough it =)

arwhntr

Lil-Rokslider
I run SG and Kuiu packs myself. Each having their pros and cons. I can say the Kuiu pack often gets overlooked by MR, Exo, SG, etc. The Kuiu packs are the lightest weight, carry heavy (~80lbs) loads well, good organization and cost significantly less. Definitely worth spending a moment to check them out IMO. Also, I just got an email, free game bags (~$75) with the purchase of a pack. Best of luck!

OP
S
Well I received my sg solo 3300 with x curve and so far I am very impressed! I put some weight in it and just adjusted everything and walked around the house and for me it is sooo much more comfortable. The adjustable is very nice and I can keep the frame a lot closer to my back. I am going to do alittle home hopefully today before I make my decision but I think this will be my pack. Not 100% sold on the bag, but I knew that going in. I’m sure some people like it, minimalists, but it is very plain. Other companies add a lot of the things in, that you have to buy separate here, on top of the very expensive pack. But I will take comfort over a few accessories. Can’t have it all I guess. Also a thank you to 1st shot gear! Best deal around and I believe I ordered it Tuesday or Wednesday, originally shipped date was today and it showed up yesterday. Can’t beat that!