Kuiu Icon Pro 1850 vs Ultra 2200?

Been looking at the Icon Pro 1850 bag, as well as the new Ultra 2200, and I'm looking for a few thoughts/opinions.

This will be used as a daypack, and I assume 1850 is big enough, but I also like the looks of the new 2200.

What I like about the 1850 over the 2200 is higher quality fabric and the ability to use the pack without the frame (traveling, carry-on, maybe even convince the wife to use it as the new diaper bag). What I'm not sure I like the compression straps on the front are one long strap that go all the way around, so every time you want to take your tripod out, open the pack, or get your spotter out, you have to undo those straps and rebuckle them.

What I like about the 2200 over the 1850 is having the separate compression straps and lighter weight, and the extra room might be nice for later season when more clothes are required (?). What I don't like is that the only way the bag can be used is with the frame, so it basically makes it useless for anything other than hunting.

To the guys that have used the 1850, is the strap thing a big deal, or not really?

I liked my 1850 icon kit. If it were more specific in sizing, I’d never got rid of it.

I bought it for the wife. Her torso was too short. I started using it with the l/xl suspension and belt. The belt pads were about 1 1/2 inches shorter then My Kifaru. They didn’t cover the front of my hips by a ways. Strike number one. Strike number two was the shoulder straps were to short. They didn’t wrap around my chest. They stopped mid chest.

Those were the only negatives for me. The bag was laid out great. The straps were not a hassle. I hear people say things like that and I wander how unbuckling two straps could be so demanding. It wasn’t an issue. Buy it and enjoy it. If your waist is a 38 or less and, As long as your chest size is 48 inches or less, you’ll love it. Don’t be afraid to buy the l/xl harness either regardless of size. My petite 5 foot wife, weighing a whopping 113 lbs could wear the large belt as long as the load was light. So, if you are a 33 inch waist or larger, go l/xl for the most comfort.

God Bless

OP
cornfedkiller
The straps were not a hassle. I hear people say things like that and I wander how unbuckling two straps could be so demanding. It wasn’t an issue.

Thanks WV. Im not super concerned about the hassle of the strap itself, but more so if I have something lashed to the front want to get my tripod out out of the side..I just figured it would be nicer if they didnt all share one strap, but didnt know how big of a deal it was.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
I wouldn’t be concerned about the strap issue. You will have to unbuckle to get anything out of either pack anyway, it would just depend if it is a small one or big one.

I wouldn’t worry about the material either. The Ultra material is very durable and I can’t see it breaking down under any normal to heavy use.

The 1850 is more versatile with the frame no frame option and the 2200 gives you a little more room. You could always throw your extra late season clothes in a dry bag and put it in the meat shelf area of the 1850 also.

OP
cornfedkiller
Thanks for the info. How much better is the Icon suspension vs the Ultra suspension? Worth the extra money if I'm only doing 1 or 2 light packing trips a year and carrying deer and elk?

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks for the info. How much better is the Icon suspension vs the Ultra suspension? Worth the extra money if I'm only doing 1 or 2 light packing trips a year and carrying deer and elk?

For the weight difference I would always lean towards the Icon Pro suspension if you plan on packing loads of heavy meat.