New to the forum - trying to decide on a pack

Welcome.

Packs are a preference item. I am sure you will hear a lot of opinions but you really can’t go wrong with one of the top shelf brands mentioned above.

I will offer a thought on weight training. The atlas trainer is a cool idea. However, a $6 bag of sand some gallon zip locks, garbage bags and a roll of duct tape will make some badass weights for training. I use 2x ziplocks. Warp it in an old bath towel. A garbage bag and then a copious amount of duct tape. A nice little silver pill about the width of my pack. I make these “pills” in 20 and 10 pound versions so I can mix and match to dial up or down the weight. In addition to being cheap, if you ever had to lighten your load on the move - I turned an ankle on a training hike once -you can chuck them and start over at little cost. They also won’t burn a hole in your pack rubbing against the nylon like hard iron plates will.

I would definitely look into a Kifaru. They have proven time and time again to be the superior pack and they do offer a military discount. I’m just not sure how much that is.

1shotgear will of course market SG on you because they carry them and will receive a kick back on you purchasing from them. As far as KUIU goes just do a little research on this site and you’ll get dozens of hits on people asking “KUIU vs Kifaru or MR”. Personally, I would go with Kifaru. I’ve tried several lower ends packs and this is the Bentley. Plus, the CS is unreal and they will always make it right if anything was to happen. Good luck on your search!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ive tried them all and Kifaru was hands down the best for me. Stone Glacier is a close second and didn’t like the EXO at all.

I’m currently running the Kifaru Bikini frame with an AMR or Argali bag.

What didn't you like about the exo? Sorry if I'm high jacking your thread I'm in the same boat:cool:

Having it side by side with the Kifaru it just didn’t compare. Materials just weren’t same quality. (Probably the difference between USA sourced items vs overseas sourced items). Straps were thinner and “wimpy” feeling. Finish wasn’t as well done. Belt wasn’t near as nice and didn’t fit as well on my hips (fit is a very subjective and personal preference). Overall the EXO just wasn’t in the same league as Kifaru. It’s a nice pack and some guys rave about them but definitely not the same quality as Kifaru.

OP
P
Welcome.

Packs are a preference item. I am sure you will hear a lot of opinions but you really can’t go wrong with one of the top shelf brands mentioned above.

I will offer a thought on weight training. The atlas trainer is a cool idea. However, a $6 bag of sand some gallon zip locks, garbage bags and a roll of duct tape will make some badass weights for training. I use 2x ziplocks. Warp it in an old bath towel. A garbage bag and then a copious amount of duct tape. A nice little silver pill about the width of my pack. I make these “pills” in 20 and 10 pound versions so I can mix and match to dial up or down the weight. In addition to being cheap, if you ever had to lighten your load on the move - I turned an ankle on a training hike once -you can chuck them and start over at little cost. They also won’t burn a hole in your pack rubbing against the nylon like hard iron plates will.

That sounds like the most viable idea for pack weight. Still trying to decide which pack but I definitely think those are the better options.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

OP
P
I have a Stone Glacier Xcurve + 5900 bag, Kifaru 22” duplex + 22 mag bag and a mystery ranch nice frame + crew cab bag. I think the stone glacier xcurve + 5900 bag (or larger) is the best setup that does everything from day hunting up to overnight trips. Also, the 20% discount you get as a veteran is significant and allows you to have extra money for a few necessary accessories. I’d get their load cell and rifle sling for starters.
How do you like the outside pockets and storage? I've been trying to find comparisons and opinions in contrast to the Exo.

LostArra

WKR
I've owned and used multiple Kifaru packs, Mystery Ranch and Exo.
They all work fine.
I've packed elk quarters and tree stands with Kifaru and Exo.
At 65 yrs of age I don't even consider carrying 100 lb loads. I just make another trip.

I've sold everything but the Exo. I have been happy with it for the past three years and don't plan on replacing it. It feels good to quit shopping for stuff especially packs and binoculars. You can go wacky reading opinions and reviews of the newest, latest and greatest.

frankrb3

WKR
How do you like the outside pockets and storage? I've been trying to find comparisons and opinions in contrast to the Exo.

Outside side pockets are ok. They don’t hold short items well like nalgenes, but they do hold long thin items well like trekking poles, tent poles or fishing rods. Just gotta make sure they are long enough to be supported to the pack by the other compression traps. The main vertical pocket is great. It’s large enough to hold my spotter and tripod. I really like this pocket a lot and I use it to hold items I use frequently while using a camp pocket on the inside for items I don’t need regularly.

OP
P
I've owned and used multiple Kifaru packs, Mystery Ranch and Exo.
They all work fine.
I've packed elk quarters and tree stands with Kifaru and Exo.
At 65 yrs of age I don't even consider carrying 100 lb loads. I just make another trip.

I've sold everything but the Exo. I have been happy with it for the past three years and don't plan on replacing it. It feels good to quit shopping for stuff especially packs and binoculars. You can go wacky reading opinions and reviews of the newest, latest and greatest.

I think I'm at the wacky point reading through all the forums lol. I'm probably just going to sleep on it for a few days and see if anything anything can sway my opinion one way or another. Thanks for your input!

OP
P
Outside side pockets are ok. They don’t hold short items well like nalgenes, but they do hold long thin items well like trekking poles, tent poles or fishing rods. Just gotta make sure they are long enough to be supported to the pack by the other compression traps. The main vertical pocket is great. It’s large enough to hold my spotter and tripod. I really like this pocket a lot and I use it to hold items I use frequently while using a camp pocket on the inside for items I don’t need regularly.

That makes sense I appreciate the input. There's not as many SG reviews on YouTube as there are for the Exo so I've been left to scour the forums for that answer.

rlmmarine

WKR
I would start off looking at pack on this sight used. Try them out and see what you like then flip them on this sight for something else. This sight is great for buying and selling packs as well as a worth of information. Before a I bought an expensive pack I would try a few out here and see what yo u like. Like I said in another post I went with a kuiu bag because I like the size weight and organization. But found the harness to be lacking so I mounted it to a kifaru frame. The robustness of kifaru with the weight and organization of kuiu. The best of both worlds. I wouldn't have found this combination without trying them out and reading alot of threads here on rokslide and hunt talk. Thanks to both of these sights and to aaron at kifaru as well.

Good luck with your search and don't hesitate to mix match what you like

dpidaho

FNG
didn't see anyone mention the packs from blacks creek guidegear. check them out on they're website. I really wanted an EXO, but the blacks creek packs were a little less expensive. they give a killer military discount-25% I believe. i got they're ALTERNATIVE PACK- 3,000 ci with grip frame. I use it for even short hikes and it cinches down tight and small. I usually throw 45 lbs in it for training while hiking and feels like your carrying 20 lbs.it was a little over $400 with discount. if i wanted to splurge a little more i would get an EXO. disclaimer-- i'm from Idaho so i am partial to the Idaho companies. that being said- i packed my muley bucks out in the past in one trip with an inexpensive used pack off ebay for $35. it got the job done just fine, just wasn't as comfortable. good luck!

OP
P
I would start off looking at pack on this sight used. Try them out and see what you like then flip them on this sight for something else. This sight is great for buying and selling packs as well as a worth of information. Before a I bought an expensive pack I would try a few out here and see what yo u like. Like I said in another post I went with a kuiu bag because I like the size weight and organization. But found the harness to be lacking so I mounted it to a kifaru frame. The robustness of kifaru with the weight and organization of kuiu. The best of both worlds. I wouldn't have found this combination without trying them out and reading alot of threads here on rokslide and hunt talk. Thanks to both of these sights and to aaron at kifaru as well.

Good luck with your search and don't hesitate to mix match what you like
I have the opportunity to try on a Kuiu, Kifaru, and Exo so I'll see what I think from there. With the military discount most companies offer it's hard to justify a used pack vs new.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Not trying to add confusion. Just pointing out that once you find the right frame you can modify and or have a custom bag made. This is my xcurve frame with a bag from rugged stitching with a kuiu ultra 1800, not shown but I just added a belt pouch from mountainsmith.
39adf32b772bebb65f1d0dcb00f12f14.jpg

MTSabo

WKR
I have a seek outside revolution I couldn't be happier with. I tried it against the kifaru and for my body the SO was more comfortable. For training I take a 5 gal bucket with a lid and fill it with rocks and strap it on the frame with their talon and no pack bag. Quickly gets up to 90lbs or so and alls you got to pay for is a bucket and lid if you don't have one kicking around already.

twall13

WKR
I have the opportunity to try on a Kuiu, Kifaru, and Exo so I'll see what I think from there. With the military discount most companies offer it's hard to justify a used pack vs new.

Two things, make sure they are adjusted to fit you correctly and make sure you try them on with weight. I'd shoot for at least 70lbs. It makes a difference.

I haven't tried a Stone Glacier but have used the Kifaru Hunting Platform and the pre K2 Exo Frame. I like both of them a lot for different reasons. The 26" Kifaru frame is significantly taller than the Exo, which makes a difference with my long torso when under heavy loads. I personally felt like the Exo was a bit more comfortable under 40 lbs. but I like the Kifaru belt better and it carries heavy loads more comfortably for me. Honestly both work great and it comes down to personal preference and body type to a certain extent.

One note on the Exo bags, someone mentioned the long side pockets don't work well for carrying smaller stuff like a nalgene, etc. While I personally don't carry a nalgene in those pockets, they are actually a really slick design. I've used the compression straps to section off the side pockets and they can work ideally for smaller stuff in that configuration. For example, I stuffed my tarp in the bottom section as I knew I wouldn't need it till I got to camp, then use a compression strap to "seal" off the bottom of the pocket. Then the top essentially becomes a more shallow upper pocket with easier access to smaller items like snacks, gloves, etc. if you choose to run it that way. I typically have a spotter, tripod or trekking poles in those pockets but the compression straps make them pretty versatile in how you can use them.

OP
P
Two things, make sure they are adjusted to fit you correctly and make sure you try them on with weight. I'd shoot for at least 70lbs. It makes a difference.

I haven't tried a Stone Glacier but have used the Kifaru Hunting Platform and the pre K2 Exo Frame. I like both of them a lot for different reasons. The 26" Kifaru frame is significantly taller than the Exo, which makes a difference with my long torso when under heavy loads. I personally felt like the Exo was a bit more comfortable under 40 lbs. but I like the Kifaru belt better and it carries heavy loads more comfortably for me. Honestly both work great and it comes down to personal preference and body type to a certain extent.

One note on the Exo bags, someone mentioned the long side pockets don't work well for carrying smaller stuff like a nalgene, etc. While I personally don't carry a nalgene in those pockets, they are actually a really slick design. I've used the compression straps to section off the side pockets and they can work ideally for smaller stuff in that configuration. For example, I stuffed my tarp in the bottom section as I knew I wouldn't need it till I got to camp, then use a compression strap to "seal" off the bottom of the pocket. Then the top essentially becomes a more shallow upper pocket with easier access to smaller items like snacks, gloves, etc. if you choose to run it that way. I typically have a spotter, tripod or trekking poles in those pockets but the compression straps make them pretty versatile in how you can use them.

Those pockets seem to provide a little more versatility compared to other packs. Someone mentioned putting toilet paper in the bottom to fill the space, too.

I'll be trying on packs this week and will see what I can do about weight.

OP
P
Not trying to add confusion. Just pointing out that once you find the right frame you can modify and or have a custom bag made. This is my xcurve frame with a bag from rugged stitching with a kuiu ultra 1800, not shown but I just added a belt pouch from mountainsmith.
39adf32b772bebb65f1d0dcb00f12f14.jpg
I think I'm too new to even know where to start to build a custom bag. How much do they typically run?