New to Forum, New to Kifaru: Question on Water Bladder

bsnedeker

WKR
Hey everyone, I'm VERY excited to have entered the world of Rokslide and Kifaru with my brand-new Kifaru Crater in Ranger on the 26" Hunter frame which just arrived at my house on Wednesday! I feel this is a HUGE upgrade over my previous Eberlestock system already, but of course I need some field-time with it before I proclaim anything.

Here is my question: In all of my previous backpacks I've always had a sleeve for my water bladder inside the pack, which Kifaru just doesn't seem to do. I know the Kifaru staff likes Nalgene bottles so maybe that's why, but I'm a fan of using a WB as my primary system and I carry a nalgene as a backup. My concern is having the WB exposed in the pack to any sharp/pointy corners that may happen inside the pack under compression. Is this something I should be worried about, or am I making a big deal out of nothing? Do you just need to be careful how you pack to make sure there is some cushion around the WB?

I REALLY like the idea of the WB system in the Reckoning pack, and almost went that direction, but the extra capacity and the side-zip access on the Crater sold me. That said, I really like the idea of being see how full the WB is without opening the pack since I use Katadyn pump filter that fills through the hose. I'm considering just sewing in a Reckoning-style system on the back of the Crater (hanger and a velco strap to secure it) which seems like would be a really easy mod to make by someone with sewing skills.

Any input would be greatly appreciated from this group. Thanks in advance for any advice you can give me!

fatrascal

WKR
I personally like your idea of sewing in the mod between the pack and frame like the Reckoning. Another option is to get the guide lid and put the bladder into the pocket with the shoulder straps. Fatrascal.

I guess it depends where and how you hunt. I will opt to carry a bladder in some areas. Usually not. When I do carry a bladder, I often go in dry, or barely any in it, as long as I know where the water sources are. My Nalgene is always full. I drink it at a source, and refill. Once I am at base, I empty pack, and from then on I keep bladder and Nalgene both full so I have camp water. I run the 4L or even 6L, so filling it up is gonna be heavy with all my other camp gear- which is why on the way in, it is usually empty or partially filled and protected by sleeping bag.

In the past, pre Nalgene days, I filled a 2l bladder and then stuffed Sleeping bag and puffy around it, then other items so it was always protected, and I still have every bladder I have purchased and no holes, Some are 15 years old.

Not knowing how much is in them was always my biggest issue.
Just part of back country hunting I guess. Take off pack, check water.
I just made sure when ever water was available, fill up, what ever system I have at the time.

Lately I have been running 2 Nalgene holsters. Pods8 made them custom so I can use one as a Bugle holster on my belt, but it also holds a 32 oz bottle. This gives me more capacity if needed and also gets 2 uses out of one item.

I’ve found with all my Kifaru bags I prefer to just put my bladder in last, on top of everything else, cinch up the drawstring, and secure my guide lid like usual. It rides up there just fine. Then my water bladder isn’t getting squashed by gear or compression inside my bag nor is it hanging outside the bag for anything to happen to it. It’s easy to get to for refilling and keeps the weight high in my bag. After using it that way I haven’t had to worry whether or not a bag has a bladder sleeve and. I thing has happened to my bladder since.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And I use the bladder for my primary water and my nalgene for drink mixes and or my back up last liter of water.

oldgoat

WKR
Are you using a Guide Lid? It has that extra pocket on the back that's closed with Velcro, some guys run their bladder in there. I carry a bladder but I use it to refill my nalgene, it's a Dromelite and doesn't have a drink hose. I'll never go back to trying to get a good drink from a straw, nalgene is just so much more efficient and I can put drink mix in it and clean it out so much easier afterwards!

• Banned
OP
bsnedeker

bsnedeker

WKR
I did get the guide lid...using the pocket for hydration never even occurred to me! Thanks!

OP
bsnedeker

bsnedeker

WKR
I'll have to look into this idea of a Bugle holster...my tube is the one of the things I've never figured out a good way to carry. Thanks!

OP
bsnedeker

bsnedeker

WKR
I’ve found with all my Kifaru bags I prefer to just put my bladder in last, on top of everything else, cinch up the drawstring, and secure my guide lid like usual. It rides up there just fine. Then my water bladder isn’t getting squashed by gear or compression inside my bag nor is it hanging outside the bag for anything to happen to it. It’s easy to get to for refilling and keeps the weight high in my bag. After using it that way I haven’t had to worry whether or not a bag has a bladder sleeve and. I thing has happened to my bladder since.

That's a really simple solution, I like it! I tend to overthink things, thanks!

OP
bsnedeker

bsnedeker

WKR
Are you using a Guide Lid? It has that extra pocket on the back that's closed with Velcro, some guys run their bladder in there. I carry a bladder but I use it to refill my nalgene, it's a Dromelite and doesn't have a drink hose. I'll never go back to trying to get a good drink from a straw, nalgene is just so much more efficient and I can put drink mix in it and clean it out so much easier afterwards!

Yep, I do have the guide lid, never even thought about using it for hydration! Maybe as I get more experience in the backcountry I'll come to your same conclusion! This year will be my 3rd backcountry hunt ever so I'm still very much in learning mode...I appreciate the advice from folks like you that have been there!