Just received my new Kifaru Duplex Lite...

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
The Tahr was built/designed for a 22 inch frame and will not attach correctly to anything taller than that. You can make it work, but it's not perfect.
My lite duplex and small belt is 3 pds 5 oz which is 6 oz over advertised weight. Also tried to attach my tahr bag to the new frame and no matter how I stretch it I cannot get the bottom triglides to attach to the frame.
Had a buddy weigh his new frame and came up with the same weight, 2 diff scales.
Now i didn’t buy the new frame for the weight savings, I bought it to see how it carried with the stays on the backside and supposed ventilation benefits. So not much to bitch about but as far as I can tell the weights are slightly off. I am 6’3 so don’t mind if the frame is taller. Mine measures 26 and 3/4.
Keep it together, rob

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

jack88

Lil-Rokslider
I think I'm packing 7 ounces of sweat in my shoulder straps after a good hike. Can I order up some waterproof shoulder straps to help keep the weight down? :cool:

bozeman

WKR
Thanks Rusty and Aron......appreciate the info and the response. As a company owner and manager, I LIKE to hear customer feedback, both positive and constructive.

Trial153

WKR
We would all do better if we didnt take criticism of brands and products that we like as a personal affront to us.

No way kifaru or any top notch gear brand gets to where they are by looking at criticism and quesions as personal. I love seeing response from companys like Frankies and Arons above because it give me confidence that the company will actually listen to my concerns and work with to resolve them if needed.
Exactly why kifaru is alway high on my list when I deciding on gear.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Here is my tahr on the new 24"
I added some buckles for my own system needs.
I Can swap bags and frames universally

I aged the dry bag just to make it more visible and simulate an elk quarter

My lite duplex and small belt is 3 pds 5 oz which is 6 oz over advertised weight. Also tried to attach my tahr bag to the new frame and no matter how I stretch it I cannot get the bottom triglides to attach to the frame.
Had a buddy weigh his new frame and came up with the same weight, 2 diff scales.
Now i didn’t buy the new frame for the weight savings, I bought it to see how it carried with the stays on the backside and supposed ventilation benefits. So not much to bitch about but as far as I can tell the weights are slightly off. I am 6’3 so don’t mind if the frame is taller. Mine measures 26 and 3/4.
Keep it together, rob
b94b475167ccb18a3bdcf25d8bd3acce.jpg
d0ce62d38f716b42cb72ba0f0e646630.jpg
f681f0747faecef7c863a1c4540e6dcb.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

slim9300

WKR
26” UL frame and 2,800k Small Muskeg bag (XS belt)

baba2f0d1c1f8a4f2a8280146f642135.jpg

26” Lite frame and 7k Large Muskeg bag (Small belt)

8740432097c3bb122c43caa97201fc92.jpg

I will measure just the frames eventually but I have been using them a bunch lately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

slim9300

WKR
On a side note this frame carries much better than my heavier Hunting Duplex. Not sure I will ever use it again but I’ll keep it just to have.

lintond

WKR
Here is my tahr on the new 24"
I added some buckles for my own system needs.
I Can swap bags and frames universally

I aged the dry bag just to make it more visible and simulate an elk quarter

b94b475167ccb18a3bdcf25d8bd3acce.jpg
d0ce62d38f716b42cb72ba0f0e646630.jpg
f681f0747faecef7c863a1c4540e6dcb.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Slim do you have a picture of how/where the meat shelf attaches? I have a reckoning. Does it attach to the very bottom common loops?

valtteri

FNG
Can you be more specific as to how the new frame carries better than the Hunter Duplex?

I am thinking about switching from the Hunter to the Lite but would like to know how much of a difference there is with comfort. I mean, can it be that much to justify the switch? What are your thoughts on this?

slim9300

WKR
Can you be more specific as to how the new frame carries better than the Hunter Duplex?

I am thinking about switching from the Hunter to the Lite but would like to know how much of a difference there is with comfort. I mean, can it be that much to justify the switch? What are your thoughts on this?

For me the hunting duplex is touchy about the height of the lumbar pad due to what I am guessing are the stays being felt through the pad. When it’s the perfect height I can’t feel them. When it’s a tad low, I get a hot spot. This requires the shoulder straps to be tighter than my past frames with any decent load to be 100% comfortable. It also takes away my ability to distribute the weight ratio from hips to shoulder straps. With a heavy load on the Hunting Duplex I couldn’t ever go with the majority of the load on my hips (this is rare for me anyways since I prefer 50/50 or 40/60 when carrying heavy) but it’s nice to be able to re-distribute on a pack out. This gives the shoulders a break every now and then. This may be a difficult concept for many to understand.

The shoulder straps on the new frame feel like a different foam to me. I may be wrong, but I prefer them. It could be that my old ones are so flattened from hundreds of miles of use and heavy pack outs.

Also, the back panel/padding is totally different and I think better. There is less ‘squish’ and soft padding, but it’s just as comfortable so far. To me it has a more ‘positive’ feel like I’m more in control of the pack. It also seems way more practical for daily hunting because of the increased ventilation.

slim9300

WKR
Slim do you have a picture of how/where the meat shelf attaches? I have a reckoning. Does it attach to the very bottom common loops?

That’s not my picture but I’ll look when I have a chance.

Squirrels

WKR
Not to derail, but anyone who has a Kifaru Duplex Light care to comment if you have also had an EXO K2 frame. Be interested to know your thoughts. I had a Duplex hunter and for me personally the K2 fit me/my needs slightly better. I am very interested in this new frame though.

Hey everyone, no reason to get irritated about this!

I talked with Rusty and let him know that he could swap out the frame at any time. We just weighed a bunch of the frames today and they all come out at the correct weight. I'm assuming that as the frames get built, each batch has a difference in the HDPE frame. The weights for the ultralight are obviously listed a little heavier than what's being shipped as I've had people contact me about that as well as post on this thread.

Again, no reason to get irritated at Rusty and I don't feel there's any reason for Rusty to be irritated at Kifaru. We will take care of him if he wants to swap out the frame.

As far as the height of the frames go, they should measure out at 26 1/4 with a stays inside and 26 3/4 when flat. The frames have always been these dimensions forever since I've worked at Kifaru anyway.

Let's all have a great weekend and not turn this thread into a shitshow

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Its good to see you back on here again, although unfortunate its for something as small as this.

AGPank

WKR
My 26” light measured in spec as Aron listed above. Mine weighed 2lb 9 oz with med belt. That is on a bathroom scale, weight myself with and without and some advanced math skills.

Last edited:
I've gotten about 20 miles on mine now. Some heavy and some 20 pound'ish. This thing really does carry well. I'm in slim's neighborhood in the new straps have a different foam. I believe anyways. They certainly do feel different. Not so much better, just more firm. I do believe it carry's heavy better then my hunter with aluminum stays. It is due to the more rigid frame. My hunter still is a very comfortable frame. While summer heat and humidity finds my shirt covered in sweat after hikes, I remember a couple weeks ago when the weather was cooler, you could tell the difference in the two as far as air to the back. The only negative I potentially see on this thing is it might turn me into a meat in the bag guy versus a meat shelf packer.

I'm glad I did it. Even owning a great frame already I don't regret it. It is a better carrier when heavy. I'm looking forward to seeing the meat shelf fix they are working on for the new frames to carry a load higher. Other then that, I am set. God Bless