Just received my new Kifaru Duplex Lite...

RustyHazen

Lil-Rokslider
Couple of questions. Why is my 26" frame one and a half inches taller than my other 26" frame? Why is my frame a full 5 OUNCES over spec on two different scales? 3 pounds 4 ounces. This is really dissappointing from a company with this rep.

giphy.gif

Hey Rusty,

Our 26" frames have always been slightly longer than 26" by design. For marketing purposes, calling the frame 26 1/4" sounds a little bit goofy. We just measured the frame sheet without stays installed and they were about 26 3/4", with the stays installed due to the curvature it measured out at about 26 1/4". There may be some variances in length and weight between our prototypes and the batches being put out by our sewers. if your frame is that far off from spec, please feel free to call Aron or me and we can get you switched out with a new frame.

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Hey Rusty,

Frank and I just weighed and measured several frames that are about the ship and all are within an ounce, plus or minus, of listed weight.

We also measured all of those frames and all of them come out to 26 1/4 inches.

Not sure how it's possible as these are cut with a die, but give me a call or Frank and we will get the frame swapped out for you.

Couple of questions. Why is my 26" frame one and a half inches taller than my other 26" frame? Why is my frame a full 5 OUNCES over spec on two different scales? 3 pounds 4 ounces. This is really dissappointing from a company with this rep.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Hunter Sargent

Lil-Rokslider
Maybe one of the sewers dropped their watch in it somewhere :p Its hard to beat the excellent customer service you are getting right here from Frank and Aron. I'm sure they will take good care of you, which is why you should call them before putting stuff out on the internet for the world to see.

Mine is due today. Im kind of excited. I normally hide high dollar stuff like this from the wife, but I want her to see this- she will think its cool too.
Well maybe not.

I ordered the light weight sheet. Perhaps the OP is the thicker sheet?
Also was the advertised weight for the 24 or 26?

I have an old 24" duplex (3 yrs) , and I will compare weights.
I also have a 2 yr old 26" duplex. Will gather some info and report

OP
R

RustyHazen

Lil-Rokslider
The frame weighs more than it's supposed to. I have every right to state this for "all the world to see." I spoke to Aron earlier, and I appreciate him reaching out. I'm still not sure why my frame is so heavy. He offered to switch me out for a new one. It's not that I can't carry a few more ounces, it's that weights on products should be accurate. Especially on high end products, period. He explained the height difference between the new frame and the old T1, which made sense. I told him the reason I didn't call Kifaru about the weight discrepancy was due to my last few calls to them about shipping on the new frames, in which the employees were unhelpful and honestly illogical.

I didn't think it was especially inflammatory to state that my new pack was heavier than it was supposed to be. Much of the conversation on this forum is people voicing displeasure or dissatisfaction with a given product or product feature. I thought others who already own the frame might chime in with, "that's weird, mine is the right weight," or "yeah, the new frames are running a little heavy." I thought that was the whole point of a forum.

I apologized to Aron if I got him a bunch of unnecessary texts and voicemails. Just saying what my frame weighs. When I get home, I'll snap a picture of it on the scale.

MattB

WKR
My 24" UL frame/med belt arrived today and weighs 2.65# on my scale, which I believe is ~1.5 oz. LESS than the listed weight.

My lite duplex and small belt is 3 pds 5 oz which is 6 oz over advertised weight. Also tried to attach my tahr bag to the new frame and no matter how I stretch it I cannot get the bottom triglides to attach to the frame.
Had a buddy weigh his new frame and came up with the same weight, 2 diff scales.
Now i didn’t buy the new frame for the weight savings, I bought it to see how it carried with the stays on the backside and supposed ventilation benefits. So not much to bitch about but as far as I can tell the weights are slightly off. I am 6’3 so don’t mind if the frame is taller. Mine measures 26 and 3/4.
Keep it together, rob

It would of been a lot classier of you to call them instead of putting it on the internet. Kifaru has the best CS in the industry. So, complaining about 5oz seems a little ridiculous.

92xj

WKR
While you post a picture of the frame weight, go on a post a picture of how you expertly used a tape measure to measure 1.5" taller than 26".

My new frame weighed 3.4.
Its a Med belt 24" frame.

My old 24/med belt weighed 3.10

I put my Old Tahr on it. It seemed happy and didn't complain about anything.
Had no issues attaching meat shelf.
I even added the bow carrier set up at bottom.

I will be using it tomorrow on our morning hike.
Love this frame and its simplicity so far.

OP
R

RustyHazen

Lil-Rokslider
What good would it do to call Kifaru? Can they magically make my frame weigh what they claim? I said I had a positive conversation with Aron. Does a consumer no longer have the right to expect accurate product specs from a company? So I shouldn't mention it or ask if anyone had the same experience? I should rave about how pleased I am that a product whose main selling point (and name for that matter) is it's weight reduction came out well overweight? I guess according to some of you, I should just shut up and no one should ever know that my $350 frame is heavier than listed. It sounds like I'm not the only one, either.

Listen, I love Kifaru. My original Timberline might be my favorite piece of gear. I've talked a large number of people in to purchasing Kifaru products. I simply stated that my pack weighs more than it should. It doesn't seem like a bad thing. I texted Aron the pictures of the weight. I guess maybe simple observations and fact are no longer welcome here on Rokslide, if they're about the wrong people or companies.

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Hey everyone, no reason to get irritated about this!

I talked with Rusty and let him know that he could swap out the frame at any time. We just weighed a bunch of the frames today and they all come out at the correct weight. I'm assuming that as the frames get built, each batch has a difference in the HDPE frame. The weights for the ultralight are obviously listed a little heavier than what's being shipped as I've had people contact me about that as well as post on this thread.

Again, no reason to get irritated at Rusty and I don't feel there's any reason for Rusty to be irritated at Kifaru. We will take care of him if he wants to swap out the frame.

As far as the height of the frames go, they should measure out at 26 1/4 with a stays inside and 26 3/4 when flat. The frames have always been these dimensions forever since I've worked at Kifaru anyway.

Let's all have a great weekend and not turn this thread into a shitshow

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk