Mystery Ranch Metcalf Opinions?

Troy1971

Lil-Rokslider
Mystery ranch Metcalf pack. I have never used a mystery ranch pack or even tried one on. Where I live there is no retailers. I’m looking at a brand new guide light frame with the Metcalf bag and I need opinions. Preferably people that have owned the frame or bag and have used it. Please don’t leave your opinion about other backpacks. I only want opinions on this one. Big game hunting is what I’ll be using it for.

CorbLand

WKR
I have one on a NICE Frame. I really like it. Its comfortable, fits plenty of stuff for an extended stay and is easy to organize. I don't like that there is a million buckles and straps. It is also very heavy for what it is but they are built like tanks.

If you not interested in hearing about other packs, then your mind is made up buy it. If you are I would suggest looking into EXO Mountain Gear.

I’m no expert, but I had a guide lite frame for a few days and took it back from the pain it caused me. If you have a straight back, get it. Mine is more curved and it just did not work. But they all fit different. Be ready to try a few. Good luck!

OP
T

Troy1971

Lil-Rokslider
Corbland I would really luv to have an EXO but they are $650 and they weigh in at 5.5lbs and MR is 6.1. Not much difference in weight

Only offering my experiences: I evaluated a number of packs including some favorites mentioned in this thread. I found the Metcalf fit me far better and felt like it met or exceeded the quality of other packs....at less cost. The weight difference meant absolutely nothing to me. I have never let pack weight rule my decisions. The new Guide Lite frame IS a winner in my book. I've done a couple extended solo hunts in AK with my MR packs and they are truly built for wilderness duty.

NDGuy

WKR
I love my Pintler and Metcalf. I used the Metcalf last year hunting Montana. Packing out my deer felt like nothing on my back, and I am a smaller guy.

I will agree all the buckles can feel busy but that's the only downside I see with it.

I'd pull the trigger now if you can Blackovis.com has them 20% off. MEMORIAL-20

Mystery Ranch Metcalf - Now in Sub Alpine | BlackOvis

OP
T

Troy1971

Lil-Rokslider
NDGUY thank you for the coupon code. You can get this pack right now for $420 free shipping

CorbLand

WKR
Corbland I would really luv to have an EXO but they are $650 and they weigh in at 5.5lbs and MR is 6.1. Not much difference in weight

I agree that its not much of a difference and the Guide Lite really cut down the weight compared to the NICE. One thing to remember with weight is that cutting 1 ounce on 1 item isn't much but 1 ounce on 30 items is a lot.

boom

WKR
i have the latest iteration of the Metcalf. it is so comfortable to me. i have not used it hunting, but i have been on plenty of plain-jane backpack trips. it works great. the outside straps take some getting used to and if you spend the time to dick with those velcro strap containment things, you can get a very streamline system going. they work great straping on fishing pole tubes and stuff. on one trip, i test fitted my wifes tiny pack to the outside just in case she needed me to take the full brunt of the load so she could make a climb. it worked great.

organization, i have not yet worked out for a hunt trip. that kinda happens when i'm on a trip. i dont over think it.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
No comment on the bag itself (I run my own designs that suit my preferences better) but I ran the guidelight frame all last year. For my body I think <90lb is comfortable on that frame, over that I have the belt bottomed out which is just due to where my waist size falls vs their belt sizing. On the subject of belt sizing I find their assigned sizes completely unrealistic to our uses, maybe they are accurate for 40lb backpackers but for myself and friends that have used them they were too large for the range published. IE at a 33-34waist their 29-34 belt works for me up to 90lb at which point I bottom it out, my 31waist buddy would bottom out that belt at a much lower weight. He ends up using their <29 belts. So that's a long winded way of saying if you are on the lower end of their published belt size go down a size.

Main tidbit I learned on that frame is the lower corner straps MUST be tensioned to something that pulls backwards on them somewhat otherwise the frame corners flex and it slips on me, but with those tensioned it works just fine.

Other thoughts: The height of the frame tower and width on my body works well that it provides proper lift w/o feeling the frame off to the sides of my ears/head so its more comfortable to walk around in for me versus a taller/stiffer/wider frame tower. I disliked that they went away from PALS on the belt and the fact the belt strap slipped if stuff was hung on it when unbuckled, but I made PALS sleeves to solve that and have been happy on that front since but do wish they had just designed it in off the bat. At times I've thought it would be nice to add a couple extra side loops to have a second set of straps to strap down a load independent of the bag, I just haven't gotten around to it (technically with the open frame it doesn't even need to be attached can just loop a longer strap around the frame rods). Yoke adjustment is pretty simple on the pack and once dialed in under load fits me well.

That's all off memory.