Pack compression strap discussion

snowplow

WKR
I see 3 main ways to setup horizontal compression straps on packs. Picture a kifaru frame as reference.

There is one strap k clipped to the frame, ran around bag and buckled to the othrr side oof the frame.

There is two straps, each K clipped to the frame, joining in the center with a buckle (like on the Apollo)

And there is two straps, each sewn to the center portion of the pack, attaching with their own buckles to each side of the frame (as is typical on many Kifaru packs like the Reckoning and a AMR)

The pic below is those setups on my AMR. I am thinking of making a change on that pack. But l want to make sure there are not things l havent considered.

What would you say are the pro's and con's of each config?
56d1318851bfa96675cf84777d762bf0.jpg

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

OP
S

snowplow

WKR
I like how both those options will compress the bag a lot tighter to the frame (kind of a neat freak).

Both should be lighter.

The single strap with side buckle is the lightest, quickest (only one strap to screw with) and cleanest.

The reckoning/amr style has double the straps and buckles. And so far lm not seeing the benefits? What am l missing?

Tartan

WKR
I like how both those options will compress the bag a lot tighter to the frame (kind of a neat freak).

Both should be lighter.

The single strap with side buckle is the lightest, quickest (only one strap to screw with) and cleanest.

The reckoning/amr style has double the straps and buckles. And so far lm not seeing the benefits? What am l missing?

With the reckoning style strap set up. You can compress the main bag with just the side straps. You can then use the middle straps to hook something you maybe didn’t want to really wrench on.

E.g. you’re packing out meat. You can cinch the load with just the side straps. Then your bow can be held with the center straps and you don’t have to worry as much about putting too much of a load on it.

JP100

WKR
top set up is simplest and lightest

having two straps may be better at compressing awkward and uneven loads?

Most the packs ive used have the third set up, with straps sewn into the bag and attach to the frame that way.

having straps that go all the way around the bag make it easier to put awkward shit between the straps and bag(heads,hides,extra gear etc).

Have just got a Fulcrum which is a bit different again, it does not really have any straps going onto the frame(unless you put on the extra ones) and just has straps between the 'wings'. yet to test it out