Kifaru VS Seekoutside - Backcountry hunts and heavy loads?

Hey everyone. I am in the market for a new hunting pack and I am curious if there are people that have had the chance to tryout both the kifaru and Seek Outside Packs and frames. I have been looking at the Kifaru Fulcrum with the hunting frame and the Seek Outside Brooks pack. I do a lot of backcountry elk and muledeer hunting. Hunting 8-12 miles back is VERY common for me. Weight is somewhat a concern but how the pack handles heavy loads is the most important. What would you say the Seek Outside Brooks compares to the Kifaru Fulcrum and hunting frame?

amp713

WKR
There are thousands of people who can vouch for the kifaru. Seek is fairly new and could be a great product but why not go with what's already vouched for?

If you have a specific reason for the seek over the kifaru then outline it and see what could be compared.

I'm just saying that all of those kifaru customers cant be wrong and there are multiple guys on here who pack 100 plus loads dozens of times in a year...

duchntr

WKR
Do a search on here, and there are some good good threads about your question. If you have the time, Id recommend trying both. Ive used both and packed animals with both the SO frame and the bikini and gen 2 duplex and for me the seek carried a heavy load better. Other than that bag design, layout and compression goes to kifaru hands down. Good luck with your pack purchase either one will suit you well IMO.

sndmn11

WKR
I have used Stone Glacier, Kifaru, and Seek, in that order. I own Seek Outside now and wouldn't consider any other. I genuinely think that they are all well built, all have cool features, and all have the capability to be the best pack you will ever own for exactly what you are intending. I think much like shoes, what I love you may not, and vice versa, so try them on and decide for yourself, none of them will fail you.

Rokwiia

WKR
I'm not a hunter so my voice comes from the backpacking world. I've got a number of backpacks including a McHale, which I bought in 1995. I wanted an expedition pack that could comfortably carry whatever weight I wanted to haul. The McHale custom packs have always been the Ferrari of backpacks, at least in the backpacking world.

The Seek Outside Revolution Fortress 6,300 is the finest backpack I've ever owned and I've owned many.

Trial153

WKR
You cant go wrong with either company.
Assuming you cant try both packsPick the one that has the features you most want and you feel will suit you best. Then call them up and they will walk you through sizing and fitment. Both companies have excellent cs and products.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Try em both. I'm not a huge fan of seek outsides bag attachment and strap management but the revolution frame is more comfortable with heavy and light loads for me than my hunter duplex was. What works better for me may not work better for you.

OP
idahostalker
There are thousands of people who can vouch for the kifaru. Seek is fairly new and could be a great product but why not go with what's already vouched for?

If you have a specific reason for the seek over the kifaru then outline it and see what could be compared.

I'm just saying that all of those kifaru customers cant be wrong and there are multiple guys on here who pack 100 plus loads dozens of times in a year...

I totally agree with you on the amount of good and well earned comments kifaru gets. I believe that kifaru is a brand/company you can’t go wrong with. The thing that has intrigued me the most is comments I have read over the past while people mentioning that they felt the SO system carried better. Which is saying A LOT because of how well known kifaru is for handling heavy loads. Just hoping to hear more direct comparisons. Knowing me I’ll probably end up buying both. If I do I’ll write a detailed review after some hard use and really getting a feel for them.

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
970-208-8108 is our main line. Happy to talk packs, as detailed as you like. Or PM me.

Nathan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seth1913

Lil-Rokslider
Never had a Kifaru and probably never will. I bought a SO Unaweep and never looked back. It's light, waterproof (when seam sealed), tough, well thought out, and can carry heavy loads with ease. Their costumer service is great and they're Colorado made. Some of SO packs are more complex than others but they all retain a simple, easy to organize and efficient design. That's why I chose the Unaweep. I never considered Kifaru due to their complex layouts and weight. Not knocking kifaru, they have a cult following for a reason just not my cup of tea.

I have used both pack frames. I have packed out elk with both. For me the SeekOutside frame fits better and carries heavy loads as well as just my daily hunting loads more comfortable for me. The large Lumbar pad and hip belt on Kifaru always gave me problems, I could never get them to fit right for me. I tried SeekOutside skeptically and have never looked back.

As far as bags go. I am not a fan of Kifaru or SeekOutside bags. I use a combination of Kuiu bags, home made silnylon dray bag and or a sea to summit dry bag for my pack. I did not have to do any modifying to the frame or straps to use these different bags on the SeekOutside frame.

Last edited:

n8tivenv

Lil-Rokslider
I have had a SO revolution and currently use a Kifaru. For me the SO was a great platform but above 50lbs it was really uncomfortable on my hip bones, I'm 5'9" 170. The larger/wider hip belt on the Kifaru was much more comfortable with the heavier weight for me. I have tried the SO with the single pull belt and the double pull and its was the same either way. Build quality and adjustment for fit are top notch for the SO, but after trying the Kifaru I'm sticking with that over SO.

There you go. Two people using the same two pack frames and two totally different opinions. only each individual can decide which one works best for them. Just for reference I am 5' 10" and 185 lb

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Last edited:

sndmn11

WKR
There you go there you go. Two people using the same two pack frames and two totally different opinions. only each individual can decide which one works best for them. Just for reference I am 5' 10" and 185 lb

Exactly, and neither is wrong one bit.

OP
idahostalker
There you go. Two people using the same two pack frames and two totally different opinions. only each individual can decide which one works best for them. Just for reference I am 5' 10" and 185 lb

I agree. You and I are the same height and we are close to the same weight. Im going to give both of them a call and talk to them. I appreciate everybodys comments. They have been very helpful and insightful. If there is anybody else that has experience I would love to hear about it. Thanks!

duchntr

WKR
The only thing I'll add is the true test of pack fit is packing game for an extended period of time, a quick trip around the block with a sandbag isn't going to do it IMO. I honestly couldn't believe how comfortable my kifaru packs we're under normal loads, but being under it for longer periods really beat me up which I assumed was normal. Than I tried my wifes SO pack and now its mine lol.

Best thing you can do is try both of them and send the other back. Good luck on your search.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have tried and used them all. I would say for the most part you can’t go wrong with SO, SG, XO or Kifaru. I totally agree with duchntr on the fact that a true test is several trail miles with meat. Two years ago I used the K2 XO, then kifaru hunter frame on a EMR, Last year SO. All are good options, just depends on your body type and fit. We’re in exciting times to have several amazing options to choose from as hunters.

mvmnts

WKR
I have run the SG XCurve and the SO Revo frames. Honestly, I like the SG frame better, but I sold it to try the SO system because it's much lighter overall, and the frame is maybe 90% as comfy. For me, shaving 2lbs off my SG setup was more than worth it, and I love the features and design that SO is coming out with. The Kifaru stuff looks good and they're local so I really want to give them business but all of their packs are over built and over complicated. My guess is that anything from Kifaru, SG or SO is going to work really well for you IF you really know how to get a pack to fit. It takes a while to really learn how to dial everything in and experiment. I'd buy a couple systems and really, really test them. You have the 30 days, use them. Make sure you order at a time when you have the time to load up each pack with a lot of weight and go out and hike in them. Don't walk around the house or around the block, get out there and walk miles in them. You'll learn along the way how to adjust them because they probably won't be right. Each company has pretty good info on youtube for adjusting the pack, that is paramount. They all have a slightly different approach so I'd watch them all, you'll learn something regardless of which pack you're using.