Pack Size?

WolfpackNOgun

Lil-Rokslider
Looking to get a new pack this year. What size would best suit the following needs:

Mainly day hunts from truck to field or tree stand
Half dozen over nighters and scouting trips
A few 3-5 day trips a year

Thanks.

*I am thinking about 3500 size

Grady.J

Lil-Rokslider
3500 or so would probably be fine, but I suppose it depends on your gear list. The bigger packs can usually compress down really well too, so it doesn't hurt to go bigger.

OP
WolfpackNOgun

WolfpackNOgun

Lil-Rokslider
3500 or so would probably be fine, but I suppose it depends on your gear list. The bigger packs can usually compress down really well too, so it doesn't hurt to go bigger.

Right now going bigger for me, is anything bigger than a typical day pack.

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
3500 ci with a breakaway feature would would work well if you're looking to carry a treestand on the pack, or carry out a first load of meat when you get something down.

Depends what you're hunting and if you have help packing out. I ran a kifaru argali with just snow collar, about 5000ci. I was able to fit hind and front elk boned out, & 1/3 of my gear. Still took 3 trips and had wished had a little more room when packing out solo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mt Al

WKR
In my opinion, your size of 3500 sounds about right. You can strap stuff to the outside/top for longer trips and cinch down for day trips.

I just went through the same exercise with a new pack, very similar goals to what you listed. I have nothing to compare it to, so no claims on how well it works against others, but I went with a MR Selway. Reason is they're local to where i live. Has worked well so far but all the competitors have similar size/layout packs.

Mark at EXO

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I think you're right on in your thinking. Our 3500 (which is actually around 4200 if you take advantage of all of the pockets) is great for everything from day hunts and up to those 3-5 day trips.

1shotgear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Looking to get a new pack this year. What size would best suit the following needs:

Mainly day hunts from truck to field or tree stand
Half dozen over nighters and scouting trips
A few 3-5 day trips a year

Thanks.

*I am thinking about 3500 size

I would look into the Stone Glacier 3300. Its a great day pack, but it's big enough to use for a 4 day back country hunt as well. It has the Xcurve frame and for belt size is depending on your waist. There is room for spotting scope and a tripod on either side of the pack. It comes with a meat shelf that is rated for 150lbs. There are a ton of accessories that you can attach to the pack a well. I really would look into that. If not go a little bigger with the 5900.

Last edited:
OP
WolfpackNOgun

WolfpackNOgun

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks guys. I think the 3500 approximate size is what I'm gonna go with. talked to a couple different manufacturers and all have assured that it is the best size.

EXO has good videos on YouTube where guys show what they have packed, mostly in 3500’s. It depends on you compact your gear is and how much crap you take, most people tend towards the minimalist side.

My wife was looking at my gear pile I’m laying out for CO this September and asked where my extra clothes were. I replied that I have a change of socks. “For a week?” “Yup.”

If you’re the type to carry stuff like a speaker, coil of rope, a pot and bowl, and “just in case” stuff, you’ll need a bigger pack. You’ll then end up downsizing your gear in the future, so you might as well just do it now.

OP
WolfpackNOgun

WolfpackNOgun

Lil-Rokslider
EXO has good videos on YouTube where guys show what they have packed, mostly in 3500’s. It depends on you compact your gear is and how much crap you take, most people tend towards the minimalist side.

My wife was looking at my gear pile I’m laying out for CO this September and asked where my extra clothes were. I replied that I have a change of socks. “For a week?” “Yup.”

If you’re the type to carry stuff like a speaker, coil of rope, a pot and bowl, and “just in case” stuff, you’ll need a bigger pack. You’ll then end up downsizing your gear in the future, so you might as well just do it now.

Thanks. If you subscribe to their podcast and email, they actually just sent out a 3day pack list. I tend to lean toward the minimalist side accounting for what i actually need.

frankrb3

WKR
I like to get as much of my gear inside my pack as possible and is the reason why I upgraded from a sg r3 (3300 ci) to the sg sky 5900. I still strap some things to the outside but I definitely like the larger bag which still compresses down almost just as small as the R3 yet allows me to pack more of my gear inside the main bag.

Reactions: Jac

rm06

WKR
I know there are a lot of recommendations for the 3300 and I'm sure it's a fine pack. I'm a SG fan and have the Sky 5100 which is discontinued and wish I had gotten a larger bag. They compress super small when needed and you can fit a bunch of gear in there. I can manage about 5 days out of mine but it is pretty full. A larger one would have been better suited to the task but I make it work.