Trying to slim down my Kifaru system. Open to suggestions

Coyote813

Lil-Rokslider
In my first foray into serious backpack hunting last year, I made a few mistakes by taking too much crap (clothing/food/etc). I still landed what some would call a respectable pack weight of 52lbs including bow and 100oz of water for a 5 day hunt. I ran a kifaru frame, reckoning and guide lid as a pack system, and while it perfomed well, I was left feeling it was a bit too much after a 3000’ gain in the first 1.3mi. So this year I am trying to not buy a whole new pack system, but cobble together some parts that I already have to try and drop some weight. Here is the best I can come up with thus far:

Drop the reckoning completely (I am not totin a spotter for September elk) Replace with 55l dry bag, held on by cargo net, then run a native as a compression panel to sandwich my bow between the two. This, coupled with cutting out a few things and a couple lightweight gear upgrades, cut my pack weight by nearly 10lbs. I can hit camp, dump the dry bag with clothes and camp gear, and just run the native on the frame on top of the cargo panel for day hunts from spike camp.

Here is where I am running into issues... I need LOTS of water, therefore the ol’ nalgene and steripen is out for me. I run a 3l bladder and try to keep it topped off when I hit half a tank. I was trying to use the native to carry my bladder/kill kit/puffy/food, but this puts the weight pretty far back when I try to use it as a compression panel for my bow (i strap it to the pack on the way in). Trying to keep the dry bag as flat as I can to combat this, but if I add to the dry bag to take away from the native - it grows backwards as well. Kind of a catch 22 situation. My OR dry bag aint exactly got a hyro port, and I would like to keep it fairly buttoned up in case of a thunderstorm (which happens quite frequently it seems).

Tried running the native all the way up top horizontally, and the width doesnt bother me, but with the weight of the bladder it seems to try and pull the pack backwards off my back and destabilizes the whole she-bang a bit. Cant seem to get it to stay up high where I need it.

Does anyone run a similar setup that you have had success with? Or am I just being too nitpicky with the way it carries and just suck it up for the several hour hike in?

I have been eyeing SG packs, as they seem to have a taller, more slender profile than kifaru, which MAY carry a bit better, but Im sure with the collective knowledge of you all I can find a solution within my current set up.

Seth1913

Lil-Rokslider
Have you tried carrying your bladder in the lid? You could modify your frame to hang the bladder behind the dry bag.

92xj

WKR
26" frame. Woodsman pack. In the gap under the pack I run a roll top pod that holds my compete camp and sleep system. Drop the roll top pod and run the woodsman in day mode. Plenty big enough for clothes, food, kill kit, water, etc. And not overly big and heavy. I've enjoyed running this setup.

oldgoat

WKR
Have you weighed the pack and weighed the dry bag and cargo net? Is there a significant difference in weight?, Because if there isn't, then just being able to properly load and arrange the weight can make it less weight on your body by taking away it's leverage! I cut a lot of weight last year without cutting too much comfort by going to a lighter sleeping bag and pad, bought one of those SolLite foam pads and a center zip slick bag, also went to a Havalon knife versus fixed blade knives. I still carry the Steri-pen and nalgene and a Dromelite 2L bladder. I carry my bow and it's a stick bow so that helps a lot with my pack weight, no way I'm traveling through elk country without my bow in my hand unless the elk is in the pack already.

Tag_Soup

WKR
Reckoning can’t outweigh the dry bad/native/cargo net by much, if at all. I would suggest dropping the lid and running just the reckoning. Rain and insulation layer in one side pocket, any long items in the other. Run the water bladder between the bad and frame. Your bow can go on the back with the lower cam in the lower handle. This lets you utilize the entire volume for pack in, then compress down. Use a couple stuff sacks or pull outs for small gear. I find this works really well for me. When I take the spotter I move outerwear from the right side into a lid. If you have reasonably light gear, you should be able to get your 5 day pack w/3 liters of water under 40 pretty easily. I am at about 30 running this way with water & 5 days food, without the lid, tripod and spotter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Reckoning is 2lb 13 oz, the Native + cargo net is 1 lb 14 oz, plus whatever your dry bag weighs. If you don’t already have the native, I’ve seen guys use KUIU packs on the Kifaru frames. Their Ultra 1800 weighs under 12 oz, and the way it straps to the feamit can compress a dry bag between it. They also make a 3 oz, 2,500 ci dry bag.

If you’re lust worried about the water bladder, they also make a sleeve that may allow you to carry it right up against your frame, hanging from the upper stays.

Hydration Bag Holder - Hunting Bags and Accessories | KUIU

I know a lot of guys aren’t KUIU fans, but they have a lot of accessories that can add flexibility, and all their stuff is lightweight.

OP
Coyote813

Coyote813

Lil-Rokslider
Reckoning can’t outweigh the dry bad/native/cargo net by much, if at all. I would suggest dropping the lid and running just the reckoning. Rain and insulation layer in one side pocket, any long items in the other. Run the water bladder between the bad and frame. Your bow can go on the back with the lower cam in the lower handle. This lets you utilize the entire volume for pack in, then compress down. Use a couple stuff sacks or pull outs for small gear. I find this works really well for me. When I take the spotter I move outerwear from the right side into a lid. If you have reasonably light gear, you should be able to get your 5 day pack w/3 liters of water under 40 pretty easily. I am at about 30 running this way with water & 5 days food, without the lid, tripod and spotter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I saved about 1.5lbs by dropping the reckoning and guide lid. Ran the bladder bewteen bag and frame last year and had a failure of the bladder closure (platypus big zip), so im not the biggest fan of that system - however I am running a different bladder this year with a different closure type, so that may not be an issue any longer. Ive slimmed my gear down pretty far, with my only “heavy” comfort being my BA copper spur @ 3lbs. If I could stand a tarp, Im sure I could make it all work since that tent takes up some bulk in the drybag - but I tried a tarp and I hated fighting that joker to get the pitch right on uneven ground. So my puzzle has the pieces pretty much set, just trying to come up with ideas to reconfigure it. If I cant get it sorted out I will just throw the reckoning back on and roll with it.

OP
Coyote813

Coyote813

Lil-Rokslider
Have you considered a Nomad 2? I find it very versatile.

I ran the nomad 1 for about 4 months shed hunting and training, I really wanted to like that pack, but fighting the straps/grabit/guide lid became too much of a hassle. Versatile? You bet! But someone always pays, and I paid with time fiddling with all the straps.

Tag_Soup

WKR
If you are enjoying the setup with the dry bag, you could look into having a custom bladder sleeve sewn into the back of the native or even getting something like an Exo "slurpy Stalker" to run independently. I haven't tried this, but could see it being pretty easy to integrate both inside the dry bag or on the Pals of the native. You may need a couple custom mods and 3 bar sliders to use the pals as an attachment though.

DWP51

Lil-Rokslider
You have a new bladder... so try it hanging from the carry strap on the top of the frame, sandwiched between the dry bag and the frame. Unless you are over tightening the compression straps you should be fine.

Try this simple thing before and see how it performs, because it sounds as if your biggest concern is with a bladder failure? How you pack the dry bag will be a factor as well...orient your gear so that there are no hard items being compressed against the bladder and you should be good.

MIKEYB

WKR
Sounds to me like you need to go to a simpler light weight bag, like the Markor, Argali or the old high camps. All discontinued but can be found in good shape used. I have been moving away from a big floppy lid on top and prefer the pals matrix for just a pocket.

I run a light weight dry bag to hang food and a Kifaru 5 string for my sleep system, pad, bag, pillow, tent. It all gets pulled out at spike camp, set up, food hung, grab may day rations and ready to go.

Personally prefer to drink from a nalgene than suck out of bladder, If I'm requiring more water I'll run an additional bladder or collapsible container. If the water is some what clear a steripen seems adequate for filling up a 4 liter bladder plus with a nalgene bottle. makes for a nice break, or just slam the nalgene and top off.

I rarely take any extra clothing, but seem to pack food home every time.

OP
Coyote813

Coyote813

Lil-Rokslider
I figured out a solution to my issue! As mentioned above, I had an SG bladder sleeve that I rigged up on some 3-bar sliders to keep the bladder against the frame. That helped out tremendously. Also moved some of my heavier food items to the dry bag and some of my lighter clothes to the native, and it ended up balancing out really well. Thank you all for your suggestions and input! Love this forum!

Also as mentioned above, I may seek out a Tahr to try running this setup with that instead if the drybag, and the Tahr is a little narrower and a bit taller.

dotman

WKR
Put an EXO 2k bag on it and call it a day. Run a dry bag between frame and bag for camp gear.

OP
Coyote813

Coyote813

Lil-Rokslider
Put an EXO 2k bag on it and call it a day. Run a dry bag between frame and bag for camp gear.

I have actually had my eye on that little exo bag for a while, havent been able to pick one up yet to give it a go. But that seems to be a really good option.

dotman

WKR
I have actually had my eye on that little exo bag for a while, havent been able to pick one up yet to give it a go. But that seems to be a really good option.

Fits like it was made for the Kifaru frame, just change out the buckles to itw nexus and your good.