Are Returned High End Packs sold as New by the Manufacturer?

I did a search and didn't find any good answers to this question. I certainly don't want to pay for a new pack and get a pack that someone "tested out" for 30 days then returned. That being said, I like the concept of being able to test a pack. I guess it comes down to different methods of testing out. At any rate, does anyone really know what happens to the high end packs that are returned? Perhaps the companies could chime in on this. Thanks.

I was wandering the same thing. Probably not going to get an answer. But, if someone were to actually test the pack for 20 or 25 days, it wouldn’t pass as new. If so, there wasn’t a lot of testing going on.

OP
A
I strongly doubt that no one returns high end packs. Many post that they buy more than one and return what they don't like.

I strongly doubt that no one returns high end packs. Many post that they buy more than one and return what they don't like.

I disagree. Many post that is what someone else should do. I do believe some people buy more then one and sell the others. But, real world logistics say that buying several brands and, returning the ones you don't want within 30 days just isn't possible. It just doesn't happen like that in the real world for a reason.

So you want to be able to try packs out for free but don’t want one where somebody else has done the same?

Nobody is selling packs that have been covered in sweat, drug through the mountains, and hauled bloody elk quarters “as new.”

The packs that are returned and sold are likely ones that have been worn around the house or yard for 15 minutes, same as buying shoes or jeans that someone else tried on in the store.

If a guy really takes advantage of a 30 day return policy by using the pack in the field for that long, my guess is they are sold at a discount in their retail location. There probably aren’t enough of them to make it worth listing online or some other type of sales model.

dotman

WKR
You would never know, can’t return a soiled pack so all come back looking brand new with tags I would think or are sold in the classifieds. Not sure why it would bother anyone to get a pack that looks brand new that maybe someone returned after checking it out for a few days.

You ever ask to test drive a vehicle for a few days? I have and they still get sold as new to the next customer yet I may have put 300 miles on it.

My current pickup had almost 400 miles on it when I bought it as a new pickup, all miles from people testing it out.

I doubt any credible vendor would sell their advertised product as new, if it wasn't. I am sure these end up in trade shows, employee discounted programs or some sort of sale item at a special event. I'd love to get my hands on a few packs that have been used by someone else, and returned in 30 days, with a proper discount of course. I would then own a SG, SO, and an Exo to go with my Kifarus.

I, personally, would be very disappointed if I purchased an advertised new pack and found sweat stains on shoulder harness or hip belt, or some sand in the bottom of the bag.

rlmmarine

WKR
When I purchased my kifaru pack I ordered a kifaru bag as well. Aaron was my sales agent I told him I liked my kuiu bags but the support didn't fit me right but I was also backed up time wise on a caribou hunt. He told me that as long as the bag could still be sold as new they would return it. When I got the new kifaru frame I mated it easily to the kuiu pack and sent the kifaru bag back. So yes some people due send them back. The one I sent back was never out of the plastic but it was sent back.
Thanks again to aaron as well because the pack fits great and he went out of his way to find me one in the time frame I needed.

MattB

WKR
All I can say is, when I lay in bed at night, this sort of things doesn't begin to cross my mind.

I think the same question could be asked about high-dollar boots and well....a lot of items that get returned. I think the answer is pretty much based on common sense. No seller of packs is going to sell (as new) any returned pack which shows indications of actual use. Stains, dirt, abrasions etc would all disqualify that pack from being sold to you or me. Think what would happen if this wasn't the case. So while any pack might have been tried or used (slightly) that wouldn't bother me at all. Ever wonder about those base layers you just received?

I actually am one of those guys who buys a pack or multiple packs (and boots) knowing I'll be returning whatever doesn't work for me. I personally have no problem ordering 3 packs and returning 2. I always qualify this with any pack (or boot) seller before purchase. I don't give anything hard use and certainly no dirt or sweat figures in ever. I'm mainly checking fitment and in the case of a backpack I'm going to load it with 40 pounds of something clean and carry it around a couple different times. Typical eval time is over 3-5 days and then I repack the returns to ship. I've never had any problems doing this and I respect the companies enough to be sure I keep their items completely clean and undamaged with no signs of wear.

Randle

WKR
I think the same question could be asked about high-dollar boots and well....a lot of items that get returned. I think the answer is pretty much based on common sense. No seller of packs is going to sell (as new) any returned pack which shows indications of actual use. Stains, dirt, abrasions etc would all disqualify that pack from being sold to you or me. Think what would happen if this wasn't the case. So while any pack might have been tried or used (slightly) that wouldn't bother me at all. Ever wonder about those base layers you just received?

I actually am one of those guys who buys a pack or multiple packs (and boots) knowing I'll be returning whatever doesn't work for me. I personally have no problem ordering 3 packs and returning 2. I always qualify this with any pack (or boot) seller before purchase. I don't give anything hard use and certainly no dirt or sweat figures in ever. I'm mainly checking fitment and in the case of a backpack I'm going to load it with 40 pounds of something clean and carry it around a couple different times. Typical eval time is over 3-5 days and then I repack the returns to ship. I've never had any problems doing this and I respect the companies enough to be sure I keep their items completely clean and undamaged with no signs of wear.

+1 well said

lif

WKR
I recently bought a Stone glacier pack. I was encouraged by the folks at Sg to order both the xcurve and krux frames and try them out for up to 30 days and send back the one I didn’t want. I kept them for around 2 and half weeks. Put 12 miles on each and sent back the frame i didn’t want. No questions asked. I kept the packs clean other than some possible sweat. I’m also curious what happens to them after they are sent back, but make no mistake, people do send them back. Frequently I believe. PS. Thanks stone glacier for having such great customer service.

OP
A
Thanks for the replies. As mentioned in my original post, it sort of comes down to what people think is reasonable testing. I've tested plenty of boots and I only wear them inside on carpet and don't wear them long enough to get sweaty. The nature of pack testing is a little different and I don't really want to get a "new" pack that has been tested for a couple of weeks with 50 plus pound loads. I'll try not to lose any more sleep :)