Fulcrum

Cwpalm

FNG
What are the thoughts on fulcrum being the one and only bag for them from single day hunts to multi day hung. How bulky is the fulcrum when it is in the 1800ci size.
I am wanting a pack for all uses even for workout gear for the gym and trail
Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kupper

Lil-Rokslider
I currently have the fulcrum. Its flat out too much bag for me. I really enjoy the wing pockets but would enjoy flush spotting scope pockets on the side just as much. Its just a matter of how frequently you're going to use it and for what purpose. I do day hunts 90% of the time and could easily get away with 1800ci but like you I wanted to just run one bag. If you plan on doing more 5+ day hunts than you do for day hunts or just everyday use then I would go for it. If you more want a do it all bag for everyday use and the occasional multiday hunt then I personally would look for something a little smaller. It does alright packing down in day mode but there is a lot of excess bag below the wings and you have to run straps across the wings to get them to hold tight if you don't have much in the main bag.

North

FNG
I just picked up a Fulcrum for my first backpack elk hunt. I haven't hauled any animals in it yet but I've been messing around with it loading it up with gear and weight for cardio. First off, check out Jordan's comparison of the Fulcrum and the Reckoning if you haven't already. This is what ended up selling me on the Fulcrum over the Reckoning, which was my other contender at the time. She has an additional video on her channel going over the features of the Fulcrum as well, plus there is another review of it in the Rokslide gear section here.

It's an awesome bag. It's one of those pieces of gear I end up just admiring even when I'm not actively using it and I always end up wanting to play with it and try different configurations and loads. Sometimes I just wear it around the house empty like a weirdo. This will probably be true for any Kifaru bag. They're just plain cool. That said, after actually seeing the thing, it is gigantic as the previous post noted. Since I plan on using it for an elk backpack hunt where I will potentially be carrying a large load of meat on top of my camp, I am happy with it and will not look back. Is it the bag to end all bags? It depends on how often you will be using its full capacity. With most of my camp gear in it, it's only about 1/3 full. I took it out the other day to use for backpack cardio and loaded it with 60 pounds of sandbags. Since the bag is so voluminous all that weight hung down like a diaper filled with lead and it was not very comfortable. I ended up taking the Fulcrum off my frame and just running my Native alone on the frame for the sandbags to keep the weight up higher.

Now, I'm sure with some combination of the right sized sandbag and compression straps you could get the Fulcrum to work for cardio, but the point is if you don't have enough stuff to fill it up everything is low in the pack. When in daypack mode there's a lot of empty bag there. Is it a big deal? Not really, but that brings us back to the question, “How often, if ever, are you going to use all that space?”

If you haul a lot of animals on foot, I'd go for it. There a ton of capacity for boned out deer and elk, capes, skulls, quarters, bear rugs, maybe a cool boulder you find on the mountain...You could literally stuff an entire dead turkey or coyote in this thing. Carrying around odd-shaped stuff like 5-gallon pails of bait, chainsaws, or sleeping bags for your 7 children? This is your pack. However, if you hunt close to the truck or are looking for a pack for non-hunting backpacking trips, you will likely rarely need the space. Even for a 4 week through hike, I don't know if you'd need all the space. Again, it's not that it's particularly heavy or too bulky, it's just that if you rarely will need the space, you may be better off with a smaller pack.

Keep in mind you can also expand the capacity of a smaller bag by using a bungee kit, adding pouches or cargo panels, or adding a lid like a Native if needed. Strapping your tent and sleeping pad to the outside, etc. There's also the Nomad 2 which has similar wings but allows you to completely remove your main bag when converted to daypack mode, giving you the option to make it a monster when needed.

In the end, it's up to how you're going to use it. I'm 100% happy with mine, but I do expect I may end up picking up a smaller one in addition to the Fulcrum for when I'm not on extended backcountry hunts. Then again I just like buying gear. I'm sure it would work well as a do-it-all bag if limiting yourself to one bag to rule them all. Good luck in making your decision!

Last edited:

DaveG4

FNG
I just sold a EXO 3500 and bought the new Kifaru frame and a Fulcrum. I really like the size. When its cinched down its pretty dang compact. Ya, single day its a bit much...until you have to haul an elk out.

valtteri

FNG
That was a great summary by North!

For positioning sandbags I simply cinch down the lowest horizontal compression strap and then use two straps to position and tighten the sandbag up high. Works really well. Essentially the lowest compression strap creates a ”shelf” for the sandbag. And since the Hunter frame has so many tab loops for compr straps, you can really adjust where you want to place the sandbag.

For winter camping the Fulcrum excels as well. I do overnighters and the space allows for all kinds of things, such as camp chairs and beer. 😂

I also use it for hauling shotgun shell boxes to the range. It’s just so easy when you can just throw the boxes into the bag, cinch it down and you’re done. You can just put pretty much anything in there.

This summer I am going to try to stuff my Weber Go-Anywhere grill in it so we can take it on family picnics.

So for me, the size is perfect for what I use it for. Previously I used a smaller bag where I was constantly struggling for space and it got old really fast. Now, I couldn’t think of a smaller bag!

Hunter Sargent

Lil-Rokslider
My buddy uses one, and IMO it has too many compartments for my uses. I prefer a main bag with maybe one or two pockets, if any. When my buddy had his loaded up it looked like a turtle shell on his back...I started calling him Leonardo, haha. It was bulged out on the sides so bad that it it was 12" wider than his pody and started snagging on everything as soon as we went off trail. This could be because he didn't load it properly, though, IDK.

For your uses I would look at the Reckoning or AMR if you needed a bigger bag and are set on Kifaru. The SG 5900 would do everything you need it to very well.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I love my fulcrum, but I’ll admit it’s not my only bag. I use the fulcrum as my main workhorse pack, it’s mounted on a 28” tactical frame so it’s basically kifaru a heaviest pack and their heaviest frame, it’s about 7.5-8lb with a few medium pockets on it. It does compress well in day mode (if you don’t want it to bundle out while training then cinch down the 2 straps that run along the bottom of the pack before loading it) so if I’m out and want to hunt from camp I have no reason to carry a smaller bag. I’ve used this pack for caribou and moose hunts where I was out for over a week but when I was trying to finalize my setup for shorter 3-4 day sheep hunts, I realized that while this pack would work, it probably wasn’t optimal so I got another pack for that specific use.

I think a fulcrum would be pretty hard to beat for a 10-14 day trip personally.

Brendan

WKR
Used the EMRII for 3 seasons before it, and used the Fulcrum alternating with the 22 Mag last year. I like the 22 Mag for day hunting better, but as my only pack, I'd definitely take the fulcrum.

No issues compressing pretty much any load down, empty bag compresses down to the size of the frame. Intermediate loads compress fine too, and no problem with heavy loads falling to the bottom of the pack if you load it right.

If you're never going to use the size / space, it's overkill. But if you need one bag for everything, I think it's a good choice.

Lawnboi

WKR
I can't say much about the fulcrum, as I don't have a season on the bag yet. However I purchased it as my one bag to do everything. I also still own a highcamp 4800, and used to own a timberline, along with a few of their smaller bags.

Personally I'd never use the frame as an everyday around town or gym bag, no matter what pack was on it. Just me though. You will probably get some weird looks but it will do it.

Looking forward to putting the fulcrum to use. Got it because I got sick of trying to stuff and squeeze stuff into my 4800 highcamp and lid, I wanted something again that I didn't have to worry about size, especially when meat is on the ground. Downside is obviously weight, but I can handle an extra pound for my kind of hunting. It's not a terribly heavy bag once you take out the plastic sheet deals that I see no value in.

Brendan

WKR
Personally I'd never use the frame as an everyday around town or gym bag, no matter what pack was on it. Just me though. You will probably get some weird looks but it will do it.

I agree with this - missed that potential use above. I wouldn't use my 22" frame and 22 Mag let alone a 26" frame and my Fulcrum. I'd get an EDC bag for the gym and around town type of stuff.