New Kuiu Shoulder Harness

JNDEER

WKR
Looks nice! my only complaint about there packs and the reason I cannot use them is the darn hip belts. They just don't fit me and hold a loaded pack well at all. Sure wish they would work on a wider and longer belt.

Just get another. The new Ultra bags and this harness are very nice.

The new ultra 4000 is a nice looking pack as far as layout goes, Very similar to the SG 3300 ive used for multiple years now, with a couple additions I wish the SG had.

By the way, Congrats on the Western Trail shoot this year Doug!

OP
RosinBag

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
The new ultra 4000 is a nice looking pack as far as layout goes, Very similar to the SG 3300 ive used for multiple years now, with a couple additions I wish the SG had.

By the way, Congrats on the Western Trail shoot this year Doug!

Thanks much. It was a big bucket list item checked off.

SG makes solid stuff. I do prefer the Kuiu bags and how they are laid out over any other and the new harness is making them that much better overall.

R_burg

WKR
Doug is awesome, he took the time to help me through my initial bag purchase. Thanks again Doug!

That being said I sold my Kuiu bags, IMO the shoulder straps arent the issue, the hip belts are stiff as hell and dont wrap well. They "carry weight", but my lower back feels it compared to my SG.

The Icon Pro 3200 is a great little bag. I loved it and the comparments work well. The larger Icon Pro bags, not so much. Too much shit to go through, it actually makes organization harder (for me) and they feel very bulky.

IMO the SG's are the most versatile bags out there. My 6900 gets smaller compressed that my Icon 3200 did and its not close. My only complaint about SG is that literally 2 weeks after I bought my bag directly from them they started selling them through a bunch of online retailers and I could have gotten it for 10% cheaper had I waited, lol.

Kurt seems awesome tho, so I'm glad his company is taking off.

Looks like the shoulder harness is up on their site. It’s actually really nice for those of us with the Icon 1850 kit because the day pack requires you to remove the shoulder straps from the frame. These could stay on the frame permanently instead, letting you have 2 separate packs. If they apply the same concept to the hip belt a lot of guys might switch back to KUIU packs. Everyone seems to like the bags but not the hip belt.

Last edited:

IdahoElk

WKR
Looks like the shoulder harness is up on their site. It’s actually really nice for those of us with the Icon 1850 kit because the day pack requires you to remove the shoulder straps from the frame. These could stay on the frame permanently instead, letting you have 2 separate packs. If they apply the same concept to the hip belt a lot of guys might switch back to KUIU packs. Everyone seems to like the bags but not the hip belt.

What's wrong with the hip belt? I haven't had any issues with mine,in fact it's really nice not having a huge hip belt that generates sweat.
Funny how we are all different.

Seems kinda strange that the ONLY way to to get it is shoulder straps only, but you can't buy the waist belt separately. So if I wanted a pack with the apex shoulder pads, I have to buy the full Icon suspension, then the new shoulder pads, then switch them out, and then what do I do with the Icon shoulder pads?

I'm sure the new shoulder straps are great. What has kept me from buying a frame and suspension on the outlet right now and trying KUIU again, is that dang belt. Their large belt worked. But, the padding was a good inch shorter on both sides versus my Kifaru. It just didn't cover the front of my hip bones with padding. When the pack got heavy, the webbing on the KUIU was uncomfortable. The KUIU was very well designed, though out, and built pack. They are a SOLID choice if the dang belt fits you ok. My wife is 125 pound women that could wear the Large belt tightened all the way down. That gives you an idea of how KUIU meets waist sizes with only two belt choices on padding size

The belt is definitely made for a smaller framed guy. However, if their belt padding was an inch longer, ensuring that it cupped the front of my hips versus the webbing, I'd never got rid of mine. At 4 pounds and a little, that 22 inch frame and a 1850 was the absolute PERFECT pack for what I do here. If they address that, they WILL get my business again. They have got the strongest, most rigid frame I have ever worn. I really hope they fix that belt.

Seems kinda strange that the ONLY way to to get it is shoulder straps only, but you can't buy the waist belt separately. So if I wanted a pack with the apex shoulder pads, I have to buy the full Icon suspension, then the new shoulder pads, then switch them out, and then what do I do with the Icon shoulder pads?

I think they’re targeting existing customers with this one. I’d imagine if you called them up they could fix you up with a new package. I know guys have bought hip belts separately when they were changing sizes.