Budget Pack for First Time Elk Hunter

I’m sure this has been a topic of conversation numerous times on this board but I’m going to give it a shot...

I’m a flat land hunter from Georgia but I have a chance to go on my first elk hunt to Colorado this year with my father in law.

I definitely believe in “you get what you pay for...” Unfortunately between the cost of the actual trip, other necessary gear items and the fact that most of my money is going into mine and my wife’s adoption fund, I can’t splurge on a MR or Kifaru.

Here’s what I’m looking for: a pack large enough (70-90 liters) to haul in my gear about 3 miles to camp and then to use as a daypack for the duration of the hunt and possibly to pack meat if necessary (at least a quarter back to camp to grab my pack frame).

There are so many different avenues I’ve considered but I don’t want to buy something out of ignorance/lack of experience and regret it when I get there. Any advice on what to look for and where?

Would like to stay around $200 or less.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LaHunter

WKR
Keep checking the classified ads for a quality used pack. Kifaru and MR definitely make quality packs (I have a MR Metcalf), but there are other choices that would probably work well for you closer to your budget of $200. A used Kuiu Icon Pro can be had for less $$ than the Kifaru or MR most likely, and is still a good pack. I used a Kuiu Icon Pro for the past 3-4 years and it worked well for me. Seek Outside is another option. Good luck on your hunt.

There's some good badlands packs around that price that should work. The 2200 is what I run right now and can do almost anything except a super long extended trip.

Pn8hall

WKR
Personally I think the best advice given so far is to buy a frame and strap a dry bag to it. I can almost guarantee that you will be hooked on Elk Hunting after your 1st trip! Plan for future hunts and you can add a bag to your frame and have a complete pack setup for the following year

ixia

FNG
The advice about trying to find a used, higher end pack (or at least frame) is solid. I used a USMC ILBE 2 from ebay on my first hunt. It's an arcteryx designed pack made by some 3rd party, and designed for something around 120 pounds of load. These can be picked up in various conditions for under $200, in my case about $100. It worked well, but I was pleased to move on to a kifaru frame.

What size guy are you? Maybe some one us have an extra set up laying in a gear closet somewhere that might work for you.

OP
Crucible02
Thanks guys... I really appreciate the help.

MrBillBrown... I’m 5’11” and 170 lbs.

Longshot... I’m definitely interested in the J34! That’s the Eberlestock Just One, correct?

Last year i bought an alps outdoorz commander x pack. It was more comfortable than my kifaru or kuiu with 70#. They list for $349 but you can find them cheaper. They come with water bottle pockets, a rain fly, belt pockets and a rifle/bow carrier, things that cost extra with other companies. The pack is a little heavy compared to others but it is so comfortable i never noticed. And once you start adding all the extra pockets to the others the weight difference isn’t as much as it seems. I carried a 5 day camp in it pretty easily.

You could just get something like an Exo frame and strap a dry bag to it,than buy a bag in the future

Not likely to find the frame alone for anywhere near $200, and you still have to buy the dry bag and whatever you're using to secure it.

Don't be afraid to look at a decent internal frame pack. I went on my first hint 2 years ago with an REI cresttrial 70. It hauled 60 lbs well and 80 lbs ok. We didn't kill anything Nd packing meat with it might/would have sucked but it also would have gotten the job done.

Used Gregory baltoro or mystery ranch backpacking packs can be found for that price.

Gritty bowmen has a podcast back in their beginning when Aron talks about hunting with what he could afford. It might suck a little (or a lot more) but it can definitely be done

If there is an REI around you they will let you try pacls on and walk around with 50lbs in it if you ask. This can help assure that it fits well

bowhnter7

Lil-Rokslider
Don't be afraid to look at a decent internal frame pack. I went on my first hint 2 years ago with an REI cresttrial 70. It hauled 60 lbs well and 80 lbs ok. We didn't kill anything Nd packing meat with it might/would have sucked but it also would have gotten the job done.

Used Gregory baltoro or mystery ranch backpacking packs can be found for that price.

Gritty bowmen has a podcast back in their beginning when Aron talks about hunting with what he could afford. It might suck a little (or a lot more) but it can definitely be done

If there is an REI around you they will let you try pacls on and walk around with 50lbs in it if you ask. This can help assure that it fits well

Yup.....just sold a barley used Baltoro 65L for $80 to a dude wanting to try backpacking. Options are out there just keep looking.
Next year save your nuggets.......a good quality USA made pack that fits is one of the best investments you can make.

Ive packed a bunch of meat with that Baltoro. Great pack. If you are truly on a budget the ILBE at $100 is unbeatable until you hit $300. Especially for a guy your size. Designed for a US Marine so bigger guys won't dig em but under 6' with a trim figure its unbeatable. Or spend the extra $200.

I have a used ilbe i’d sell for $85 tyd, bought it to use for training and just never used it. Also, sierra trading post has some 80-90 liter packs on sale for under $130. Might try campmor too.