Budget Pack for First Time Elk Hunter

he_lives

FNG
Eberlestock makes a quality pack in that price range. Not near as comfortable as my Kifaru, but never had any issues either.

I see used dragonfly/blue widow or just one eberlestock packs for sale in that range quite often.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From my blue widow experience one would be better off with a regular backpack.

there are a ton of used kuiu packs for sale right now and many of them wont sell for what people are asking because there are so many for sale so dont be afraid to make lower offers. You could do worse for the money. Not the way I would go but they are not as bad as many on this forum would lead you to believe. That Alps back certainly does not look bad for the money. Watcher sierra trading post. a lot of really good gear on there for extreme discount prices.

there are a ton of used kuiu packs for sale right now and many of them wont sell for what people are asking because there are so many for sale so dont be afraid to make lower offers. You could do worse for the money. Not the way I would go but they are not as bad as many on this forum would lead you to believe. That Alps back certainly does not look bad for the money. Watcher sierra trading post. a lot of really good gear on there for extreme discount prices.

50eadda8a5cbc68f381cc8bf0723644a.jpg

I would not buy a used kuiu pack, they can break 5 miles back in the mountains

50eadda8a5cbc68f381cc8bf0723644a.jpg

I would not buy a used kuiu pack, they can break 5 miles back in the mountains

Yah i live in northern california so if i happen to be in the area when KUIU has their big garrage sale every year I go fight the crowd and look for deals. There are a ton of packs for sale there that look like that and worse. a couple years ago I went there with the intent to buy a pack and when i saw how many bran new looking packs had catastrophic failures i was convinced to go a different direction....I now love everything mystery ranch. Still, if i was on a very limited budget i would consider a KUIU as an option.

From my blue widow experience one would be better off with a regular backpack.

Agreed. I had a blue widow for one season, after using an Osprey as my first hunting pack and before getting a Kifaru. It was stiff and uncomfortable. Other than durability, there was nothing I liked about it more than my "non-hunting" Osprey.

Osprey, Gregory, REI, etc... they may not be designed to handle huge loads (+100#) very comfortably, but they will do 60-70lbs reasonably well and can be had for much cheaper than most specialty packs- especially with REI 20% sales, craigslist, etc.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
If your interested research kifaru t3 pack and see if large enough...I would sell you mine for $200 plus shipping...I’m running an exo now and it just lays around waiting for another adventure.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I hunted for years with a canelas Alaskan pack, it wasn’t as nice as the need breed of hunting packs available now (kifaru, stone glacier etc) but it will do the job, I used mine for elk, sheep and deer with no issues. I think you can get one for 150.00 bucks or so.

Also, I was in sportsman’s warehouse and they had some sort of eberlestock external frame for 200 bucks which was sort of cool.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Cabelas Alaskan is on sale for 119.00 right now, there’s probably a cabelas near you where you could check one out.