Need Multiple use pack

Mtaylor

Lil-Rokslider
Hello, I am looking for a EDC pack I can use to take my laptop to the office, but also one I can use for day hikes and a short turkey or deer hunt. I was looking at the Kifaru Antero, and Door Gunner. Any suggestions on either of these or another pack I didn't mention

Thanks

matman

Lil-Rokslider
I have no experience with either of this packs but I do own an urban ruck and love the layout and organization pockets on the bag. You can also add a large, med, or small pouch to the front of it to increase storage space. They also have a laptop slider for the pack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

btg108

FNG
The Doorgunner is apparently not an option for any laptop bigger than 13”. I’ve seen posts that indicate it’s too narrow. The Antero isn’t the best laid out for laptop carry, but it works if you add a laptop sleeve. The Urban Ruck is nice, but the solid cordura back makes a lot of sweat.

Have you looked at offerings from Osprey or maybe the First Spear Comms pack?

Urban Zippy or Antero. Love both for EDC and day hunting. Neither one will carry a heavy load though.

Randle

WKR
HPG tarahumara is a great all around pack. I has a padded sleeve pocket that may hold a laptop nicely. Depends on the size of laptop.

OP
M

Mtaylor

Lil-Rokslider
The Doorgunner is apparently not an option for any laptop bigger than 13”. I’ve seen posts that indicate it’s too narrow. The Antero isn’t the best laid out for laptop carry, but it works if you add a laptop sleeve. The Urban Ruck is nice, but the solid cordura back makes a lot of sweat.

Have you looked at offerings from Osprey or maybe the First Spear Comms pack?

I have not looked into those options. I will now. Thanks,
MT

btg108

FNG
Urban Zippy or Antero. Love both for EDC and day hunting. Neither one will carry a heavy load though.

I’d forgot about the Urban Zippy. It’s my go-to bag for all things that don’t involve a laptop. With a proper sleeve it could rock.

I wouldn’t trade my Antero for anything. Use it daily to carry my laptop to work and it blends in the corporate environment. It also gets day hunter out of. Recommend it to anybody.

btg108

FNG
Love my Door Gunner. I run the belt when hiking and take it off for the street.

Do you feel that Kifaru’s listed size for the Doorgunner is correct? I’m very interested in that pack...

hunting1

WKR
"Do you feel that Kifaru’s listed size for the Doorgunner is correct? I’m very interested in that pack..."

I think so but it carries like a bigger pack. I needed a day pack for hikes and non work travel, is perfect for my needs!

btg108

FNG
"Do you feel that Kifaru’s listed size for the Doorgunner is correct? I’m very interested in that pack..."

I think so but it carries like a bigger pack. I needed a day pack for hikes and non work travel, is perfect for my needs!

How well does the mesh back help to reduce heat/sweating?

Thanks!

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I’m planning to get an antero or one of those dayboacks from state be glacier in the not too distant future for this samenuse.

Going to work, carrying the laptop, day hikes etc.

Right now I just use a native lid for all that.

1shotgear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Hello, I am looking for a EDC pack I can use to take my laptop to the office, but also one I can use for day hikes and a short turkey or deer hunt. I was looking at the Kifaru Antero, and Door Gunner. Any suggestions on either of these or another pack I didn't mention

Thanks

Either the Sitka Apex Pack or the Ascent 12. I have the ascent 12 and use it for hiking, fishing, going into the office, and the gym. I did use the Apex pack for turkey hunting this year and it worked great. Both are very light weight and feel really nice on the back. The apex is probably a little more comfortable, but either will do just fine for what you are looking for it to do.

R_burg

WKR
Bumping this thread...

I am pretty impressed with what Kifaru is doing for this market right now. A combination between an Antero and a Quandry seems like it would be perfect, but maybe that is basically an Urban Ruck and I am missing it.

The MR offerings also look pretty good, but its a PITA to get any info about them (no videos and the pics on their website suck). Anyone know of anyplace to get info on the MR stuff? It seems like they have a TON of products now when only, what, 2 yrs ago they couldnt nearly keep up with production on their current offerings? Are they still the same quality they used to be?

If SG made a bag like the Avail but oriented towards EDC/Travel I would be very interested in that as well.

One last thing: Maybe its just me but I wish that these came with a sleeve to put the bag over the handle on my carry-on when I dont want it on my back when traveling... from googling this appears to be referred to as a "trolley sleeve". Whatever I buy, I'd like to get that added.

R_burg

WKR
Been doing some more reading... anyone have an opinion on the Urban Ruck vs the Door Gunner for a multi use pack?

-Traveling (14" laptop, misc stuff, etc)
-Pack for glassing/photography (85mm spotter, tripod, full frame DSLR + 300mm lens)

I feel like a door gunner ~1500ci would be the shit, which makes me look at the quandry, but I really want side water bottle compression pockets, both for water bottles and a tripod.

I have an Outdoor Research Elevator pack which is 850ci and I do not think that 1000 ci will fit my needs for what I am looking for.

Last edited:
I really like the SG Avail 2200. I feel it's worth a look. Almost bought one for this exact use. Through a strange mistake I had one sent to me and almost called to have them run my card so I could keep it but decided to hold off and pick one up at a later date since I had just bought a full Talus 6900 and Frame setup that was on it's way.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

R_burg

WKR
I ended up buying an Arcteryx Brize 25.

It won't be a sexy pick on this forum, but its everything I was looking for from one of the hunting pack manufacturers we all love, and only 100 bucks on sale.

I'll report back with functionality after I get to use it.