Seek Outside 24", 26" or 28" frame?

Rokwiia

WKR
I have the Revolution Fortress 6,300 (24" frame) that came with the 2" extensions already installed so I've been using it at 26". I haven't fiddled with it yet. I'm sure that pack weight and torso length play into the decision what frame length to use.

Are you using your SO at 24", 26", or 28" and why? Do you adjust the frame height or set it and forget it?

I have a long torso. Most packs, I require a long frame.

However, with the Seek Outside, I have just stuck with the standard 2" extensions for everything.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I’m not familiar with the SO frame but I use a 28” kifaru frame. It’s interesting a guy in another thread said that he likes the he load lifters to be to his ears, my stone glacier solo frame dosent come tommy ears and that’s a 26” frame. I do have a long torso.

Fedster

FNG
I am using 24' now despite much much preferring 26', but I fly every week for family/work reasons and I can carry a 24' peregrine (the old 2400 CU, not the new one) without anybody every saying anything. I'd be the guy who changes frame height in the field depending on need, I never had any problem doing it.

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I wrote a post on our site about frame height, it's worth a read.

https://seekoutside.com/blog/which-frame-height-is-right-for-me/

In general, light loads and shorter torsos can get by with a shorter frame. I have an 18.5" torso and prefer a 24 for most summer backpacking with loads of 30-35 lbs. A 26 works fine for lighter loads and up to 50ish for me, and I prefer a 28 if I'm heavy.

Backpacking, I'd rather go with a 24 or 26 and not worry about changing frame height.

Elk hunting from a basecamp, I'll probably pack in with a 28 and then shrink to a 24 after dropping camp. The shorter frame gives better head movement and clearance when slipping through timber.

If you get an animal down, you can slip the extensions back in (two minutes, no tools needed) and haul meat with a 28.

I wrote a post on our site about frame height, it's worth a read.

https://seekoutside.com/blog/which-frame-height-is-right-for-me/

In general, light loads and shorter torsos can get by with a shorter frame. I have an 18.5" torso and prefer a 24 for most summer backpacking with loads of 30-35 lbs. A 26 works fine for lighter loads and up to 50ish for me, and I prefer a 28 if I'm heavy.

Backpacking, I'd rather go with a 24 or 26 and not worry about changing frame height.

Elk hunting from a basecamp, I'll probably pack in with a 28 and then shrink to a 24 after dropping camp. The shorter frame gives better head movement and clearance when slipping through timber.

If you get an animal down, you can slip the extensions back in (two minutes, no tools needed) and haul meat with a 28.

Id like to as a few questions about your above statements. If I have an 18" torso and will be packing 20-40lbs for training this summer... Then when I hunt will be packing around 35-45lbs until I have an animal down, is the 24 the best route?

My understanding is the taller the frame the better it works with heavy weights, but at a cost of agility. If this is the case, how can you get a 26 inch frame to not cause the shoulder strap lift and keep pressure? It appears that this causes lots of instability and increases chance of pressure points?

Thanks,

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Id like to as a few questions about your above statements. If I have an 18" torso and will be packing 20-40lbs for training this summer... Then when I hunt will be packing around 35-45lbs until I have an animal down, is the 24 the best route?

My understanding is the taller the frame the better it works with heavy weights, but at a cost of agility. If this is the case, how can you get a 26 inch frame to not cause the shoulder strap lift and keep pressure? It appears that this causes lots of instability and increases chance of pressure points?

Thanks,

Some of it is personal preference and how you like to wear the pack (captured / floating / lumbar ) which grommet setting (standard / low or wrapped webbing) and where you like to wear the pack (center of hips, below hips, above ) .

For reference, I have a 20 inch , maybe 20.5 torso and if I wear the pack on standard grommet / floating I can do whatever I want with a 26 frame, and can use a 24 for standard backpacking. If I wear the pack captured / lumbar / wrapped grommet ..which increases effective frame height .. I can do almost anything I need as well .. but if I do that on a 26 frame I get some limited head movement. The head movement is mostly only a limitation when going up the steeps. I can wear a 28 as well, but it's overkill for me .

Note: I wear my pack centered on the hips.

Now, we have some folks that work for us, that wear below the hips and are tall and a 28 is the only way to go for them. It depends on a lot, but we can achieve a really good fit on almost anybody as long as the frame isn't too big or they are really really skinny.

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor

Thanks,

Qualify this by saying it's my opinion...lots of our users do things differently.

20-40 lb backpacking - 24 for lighter loads, I'd probably go 26 for 40 lbs.

45 lb hunting - could do with 24, 26 better for that weight, but if I plan on killing something and packing meat, I'd want a 28.

It's important to note a few things about frame height:

- Frame height is relative to where you wear your belt. Wear belt high, you can have a shorter frame, wear belt low, you need a longer frame.
- Comfort with heavy loads isn't all about frame height. A belt that doesn't slip in the back and cause undue hip pain and overtightening is much more important. If that's solved, then frame height is about shoulder lift but also load distribution. Load distribution doesn't get enough attention.

I can make the same 80 lb load feel pretty good, or like absolute hell just by changing where it is in the pack. I like 70-80% of the weight between lower back and low ear level, centered around shoulder blades.

It's easy to get the weight up that high with our moveable load sling on the Revolution or the internal shelf on the Brooks. A tall frame helps with this as well, and guarantees shoulder lift. In short, the 28 is easy for me to adjust for heavy weight, and I like easy.

I have always used mine at 26" but I carry the extensions for 28" if ever needed. Weight nothing and take up no space.