SG X-Curve pull question

FURMAN

WKR
I just received my sky guide 7900 and I do not understand the pulls. Every other pack I have owned with "power pulls"(kuiu, Seek, EXO, Kifaru) allows me to loosen the belt while still buckled and cinched. On the SG it will not loosen unless you A. unbuckle it and pull both the buckle and the adjustor or B. remove the strap from the adjustor and just use it as a non "power pull". Am I missing something? I love the bag but this is most likely a deal breaker for me as I almost always need to loosen one side or the other to properly adjust the belt when I fist put it on.

Last edited:

bmart2622

WKR
If you hold the webbing and pull on the buckle it will loosen. If not in buckling it only takes a second.

OP
FURMAN

FURMAN

WKR
I appreciate the help but no holding the webbing does nothing and unbuckling to adjust the pack could be a no go, non starter, deal breaker. I am not a rookie backpacker. Every other pack I have used just works. When it is time to throw the pack on and go it is time to go not stand around adjusting a pack for multiple minutes. I honestly do not see how anyone would deal with this belt setup. I will be calling them in the morning but thought maybe someone had a good suggestion.

Last edited:

bmart2622

WKR
Lots of guys are running that frame and I have never heard of that complaint before. After I read your post I went down and tried mine and if I hold the webbing and pull up and away, the belt loosens. The belt on the Xcurve does hold tight by design. There have been times when I over tighten the belt that it wont loosen easily and I just unbuckle it and adjust it, which takes a couple seconds.

sndmn11

WKR
I have mentioned this before on a few different threads as well. Pete has told me the only way to loosen a tight belt is to unbuckle it.

OP
FURMAN

FURMAN

WKR
Lots of guys are running that frame and I have never heard of that complaint before. After I read your post I went down and tried mine and if I hold the webbing and pull up and away, the belt loosens. The belt on the Xcurve does hold tight by design. There have been times when I over tighten the belt that it wont loosen easily and I just unbuckle it and adjust it, which takes a couple seconds.

Too many other options with belts that just work. It does not just take a couple of seconds especially when the same thing happens the second, third, fourth, etc attempt. With every other pack maker you can micro adjust basically to get it just right.

Last edited:

bmart2622

WKR
Well Im not sure what to tell you. Give them a call, I guarantee they will do everything they can to make it right. Again there are thousands of guys running that frame and dont have that problem, maybe something is defective, maybe user error. I know that if I accidentally over tighten and have to re adjust it, I certainly dont overtighten it again 2,3,4...more times. The Xcurve is far from an epic fail.

OP
FURMAN

FURMAN

WKR
Well Im not sure what to tell you. Give them a call, I guarantee they will do everything they can to make it right. Again there are thousands of guys running that frame and dont have that problem, maybe something is defective, maybe user error. I know that if I accidentally over tighten and have to re adjust it, I certainly dont overtighten it again 2,3,4...more times. The Xcurve is far from an epic fail.

Again I sincerely appreciate the help. I will call. I have no doubt they will have great customer service. The bag is awesome but I can guarantee I would take any of the other companies' belts over this. The frame and suspension is mostly like awesome just like the bag but the belt not so much.

mt100gr.

WKR
I have gotten into the habit of manually "backing" some of the webbing through the power pull and kind of feeding it into the buckle as i tip it and pull to loosen the belt. I don't even think about it now, it just works. The SG Evo frame is the same.

I agree, the 4 other big name packs I have/ have had worked more smoothly but I constantly had to re-tighten them, same for the load lifters and shoulder straps - all of the buckles slip. The SG packs are the only ones that stay put every time. That said, the Seek Outside revolution frame i am playing with also, has no power pulls and 2 one inch belt buckles for a more dynamic "micro adjust" system. Not what I was used to but it just works too. A guy can get used to anything.

jhm2023

WKR
You may have to do some DIY mods(different buckles) or go a different route. The belt was designed to lock down that way. Here is from the SG website.

The Powerlock hip belt has forward assist pull with locking features to eliminate any webbing slip, even under the heaviest of loads. The tighter the belt is adjusted, the tighter the lock on the webbing.

slim9300

WKR
You may have to do some DIY mods(different buckles) or go a different route. The belt was designed to lock down that way. Here is from the SG website.

The Powerlock hip belt has forward assist pull with locking features to eliminate any webbing slip, even under the heaviest of loads. The tighter the belt is adjusted, the tighter the lock on the webbing.

I have never had a Kifaru slip even a tiny amount once tightened. I don’t understand why you can’t loosen a small amount of slack without unbuckling? I guess it wouldn’t be a huge deal for me, but I’m just curious. But I did get to try on my first X-Curve frame this weekend. I would like a larger lumbar pad but I guess that’s an option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
FURMAN

FURMAN

WKR
I guess I am weird. I have never had a belt slip.

sr80

WKR
I hated that about that frame. I added a trislide to mine that made it work the way you wanted. Ill see if i can find a picture

sr80

WKR
I picked up two of these buckles..this is a canadian site but you'll be able to find them in the states im sure. I cut a 1/4 slot in the bar and slipped it into the webbing of the trislide on the frame. Then fed the belt webbing through it. Worked great. Also you could order the power pulls from one rios valley that they have for the mystery ranch nice frame. You also have to reroute the webbing through the buckle as it now holds the tension at the new brown buckle vs the belt buckle

ITW GT Ruck 154-0300 Strap Adjuster Coyote Brown

Belt Guide | OV Innovations

xGpLMl4.jpg

lif

WKR
Sounds like you already own a bunch of great packs. You should return it and use all the awesome belts you already have.

OP
FURMAN

FURMAN

WKR
I picked up two of these buckles..this is a canadian site but you'll be able to find them in the states im sure. I cut a 1/4 slot in the bar and slipped it into the webbing of the trislide on the frame. Then fed the belt webbing through it. Worked great. Also you could order the power pulls from one rios valley that they have for the mystery ranch nice frame. You also have to reroute the webbing through the buckle as it now holds the tension at the new brown buckle vs the belt buckle

ITW GT Ruck 154-0300 Strap Adjuster Coyote Brown

Belt Guide | OV Innovations

xGpLMl4.jpg

This may work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
FURMAN

FURMAN

WKR
Sounds like you already own a bunch of great packs. You should return it and use all the awesome belts you already have.

I’m not a giant fan of the other bags.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

R_burg

WKR
Im loling at "epic fail" over here.

Ive never seen this complaint before, but you don't like the belt and now its a huge design flaw.

I have no issues with the belt. I appreciate that it does not slip, like most other designs.