Kifaru Whitetail pack

Chad.frank

Lil-Rokslider
Man, I don't understand all the complaining? After reading so many negative comments about this bag I started thinking that maybe Kifaru just half-assed it with this one, maybe rushed to get it out to market too soon and I was fully expecting the videos to really disappoint me...

Instead, Hell after I saw the short videos I want to buy one of the damn things. It looks extremely well thought out and gives you tons of options. It seems perfect for the WT hunter that may or may not need to pack out deer and that makes a trip to hunt elk once a year.

I'm curious to understand why some guys are saying this just won't work for them or their style of hunting? What is missing? Is it too large? Too small? What specifically do you want different than this? I'm truly curious to understand.

Sent from my SM-G610F using Tapatalk

I agree completely with this. Basically what I said but more straight forward.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ratamahatta

Lil-Rokslider
As someone who's been using an ILBE to pack out whitetails and turkey in the Eastern woods, this pack seems about right and well thought out.

Last edited:

Btaylor

WKR
Man, I don't understand all the complaining? After reading so many negative comments about this bag I started thinking that maybe Kifaru just half-assed it with this one, maybe rushed to get it out to market too soon and I was fully expecting the videos to really disappoint me...

Instead, Hell after I saw the short videos I want to buy one of the damn things. It looks extremely well thought out and gives you tons of options. It seems perfect for the WT hunter that may or may not need to pack out deer and that makes a trip to hunt elk once a year.

I'm curious to understand why some guys are saying this just won't work for them or their style of hunting? What is missing? Is it too large? Too small? What specifically do you want different than this? I'm truly curious to understand.

First to make a statement that it doesnt work for my hunting style or climbing needs is not complaining about the bag. It is a really nice bag and lots of folks will probably really enjoy it. I personally do not know a southern whitetail hunter that would need or use a bag that size. I have tried similar size bags and for me they just become sorta like using a 55 gallon drum liner for the kitchen trash can, way overkill. Guys in the midwest and esp. up north would probably get more use out of a bag that size for hauling more or heavier clothes.

It gives you options to wear independently or attach to a frame. And you can carry a stand between the bag and frame. All of those things are nice. At the end of the day though it is just a nicer version of the ad-lib systems we have all already fashioned together in one way or another. It does not re-invent the wheel, it puts armorall on it. I want the wheel re-invented.

What I want and I think a lot of hunters would love to have is a light frame that my stand stays attached too. Then combine that with a stick and meat hauling system with detachable purpose designed bags more specifically built for whitetail gear. To get even more specific, I would build it with a batwinged compression cargo panel where sticks would be attached but would also work for meat hauling. Add a small gear bag that attaches like a SO talon that could then be attached to the tree or hung on a hook. Once stand is hung, batwings could be reversed to compress belt and shoulder straps to reduce stand profile. It would be a one trip up the tree system that would add a large measure of function efficiency and comfort for guys that hang and hunt on public ground and hunt more than a couple hundred yards from the truck.

I have only looked at Kifaru and SO as far as how close they already are with regards to components already in production but both of them are pretty dang close. The tricky part is the stand attachment piece in my mind. The rest is just tweaking things already being made to fit within the system so it functions well for the guy working off the side of a tree as opposed to the ground.

bmart2622

WKR
I like it, I'm not a treestand hunter but depending on how it fits on the frame I could see myself using it for elk and mule deer hunts. I like built in pockets and storage so much more than floppy add ons with 3 bar sliders. Honestly, I like this layout more than any other current offering going all the way back to the mountain warrior

N2TRKYS

WKR

It looks like a western pack labeled for the "whitetail hunter." I don't like designated pockets cause I normally don't use the same stuff as everyone else. More often than not, that makes those pockets nearly useless. I don't like a frame pack for treestand hunting. I like my heavier items (my treestand) to be the closest to my back. I always hang my pack on my stand. I wouldn't be able to reach the front pocket that is supposedly there to store screw in steps.

These are just a few things off the top of my head.

bmart2622

WKR
What designated pockets are you talking about? The 2 front vertical pockets can be used for anything that will fit in them, Aron threw out a couple ideas but you could put anything that fit in there.

It looks like a western pack labeled for the "whitetail hunter." I don't like designated pockets cause I normally don't use the same stuff as everyone else. More often than not, that makes those pockets nearly useless. I don't like a frame pack for treestand hunting. I like my heavier items (my treestand) to be the closest to my back. I always hang my pack on my stand. I wouldn't be able to reach the front pocket that is supposedly there to store screw in steps.

These are just a few things off the top of my head.

I don't hunt whitetails, but have hung enough stands for blacktail. I get the pocket concern. I dont understand how your treestand wouldn't be closest to your back if you sandwiched it between the frame and bag, I don't know why anyone would put a stand on the back of this pack. Even if you wanted to strap your stand to the back, I dont screw my steps in with my stand dangling from my back, I either have already run my steps before hand, or put the stand on the ground, then run my steps.

With that said, I really was hoping this would check a lot of boxes for a new camera bag, and i will have to wait for some more in depth videos before deciding.

Also, 400 bucks is a decent chunk of change for a pack. I assume its because of all the sowing.

If Kifaru is going to continue on in what I consider really niche markets like this pack, id really like for them to sit down and make a dedicated camera bag that has suspension access and some other camera specific details, as the bags available in that market are really lacking, especially for outdoor use, and people who drop 6K+ on camera gear wouldn't blink an eye at 500 bucks for a bag.

Last edited:

N2TRKYS

WKR
I don't hunt whitetails, but have hung enough stands for blacktail. I get the pocket concern. I dont understand how your treestand wouldn't be closest to your back if you sandwiched it between the frame and bag, I don't know why anyone would put a stand on the back of this pack. Even if you wanted to strap your stand to the back, I dont screw my steps in with my stand dangling from my back, I either have already run my steps before hand, or put the stand on the ground, then run my steps.

With that said, I really was hoping this would check a lot of boxes for a new camera bag, and i will have to wait for some more in depth videos before deciding.

Also, 400 bucks is a decent chunk of change for a pack. I assume its because of all the sowing.

If Kifaru is going to continue on in what I consider really niche markets like this pack, id really like for them to sit down and make a dedicated camera bag that has suspension access and some other camera specific details, as the bags available in that market are really lacking, especially for outdoor use, and people who drop 6K+ on camera gear wouldn't blink an eye at 500 bucks for a bag.

I don’t like the wasted trips up and down the tree. Once I start up a tree, I don’t come down until my hunt is over. I don’t want to tote the extra weight of a frame when I don’t want it in the tree with me.

N2TRKYS

WKR
What designated pockets are you talking about? The 2 front vertical pockets can be used for anything that will fit in them, Aron threw out a couple ideas but you could put anything that fit in there.

Yep and I wouldn’t find them useful at all. They would either not be fully utilized or would be filled with smaller items that you’d have to dig through to find something.

Maybe it's the name that throws me a curve. It's a great looking pack and I love the idea of it attaching to a standard frame and pulling double duty, but I still don't think this won't appeal to most "whitetail" hunters.
WT hunter either carry their stuff in a small pack to a preset stand sight or are mobile hunters like myself.
99% of the mobile guys have a carry system of some kind attached to there stand and all their gear in a small pack that's strapped to the stand.
As a mobile guy I can't fathom putting a climber or stand and sticks between the frame and pack four time a day and then having the frame left to deal with while I'm on stand.
Climbing with a stiff frame pack sucks. I've done it with Kifaru, Exo, Cabelas, Kuiu, and Sitka.
For that kind of money a "whitetail hunter" is better off with a quality frame permanently attached to his stand and a $50 pack.
I actually like the pack, but fail to see the WT part of the design.

Edit: Should say attach and detach two times.

Last edited:
I think it looks great. The fact that they put purpose into the pockets for certain pieces of gear is great. And the no one has mention the fact that it can be worn as a stand alone Pack or on a frame makes it extremely versatile. It’s something Kifaru has never done.

I mentioned that indeed.

I whitetail hunt on the ground and in the tree as much as anyone and, can't see where this isn't a huge step in the right direction for the back 40 hunters, the big woods hunters, and the out west hunter of all things. It appears to me to be a great day pack. Versatile, functional, and ORGANIZED.

Everyone is entitled to their own. I am just shaking my head here wandering what these guys expected this was going to be. And, what they require different to suit their needs better.

What I want and I think a lot of hunters would love to have is a light frame that my stand stays attached too.

Get a Army ruck frame and zip tie it to your stand. It weighs about 3 pounds and will carry more then you can.

Squirrels

WKR
You could have replaced the subject of this thread with “new women’s handbag” or something of the like and the conversation would be pretty similar. I’ve enjoyed watching this one...I will continue to watch , hahahha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Deepshax

WKR
I don't hunt whitetails, but have hung enough stands for blacktail. I get the pocket concern. I dont understand how your treestand wouldn't be closest to your back if you sandwiched it between the frame and bag, I don't know why anyone would put a stand on the back of this pack.

its quieter and quicker - at least for me

Btaylor

WKR
Get a Army ruck frame and zip tie it to your stand. It weighs about 3 pounds and will carry more then you can.

I have a Molle II. Tried it the way you suggest but ended up just putting the straps and belt directly on the stand because there was basically no difference in how it carried. There is a big freaking difference in how my SO pack carries the same weight. This discussion is about a high end pack company dipping thier toe in the whitetail world. I do not know Aron but I suspect he values straight ahead no BS feedback on products good, bad or indifferent more than a bunch of fanboy drool. I can clearly see where a good number of whitetail guys would thoroughly enjoy using this new pack but there are also a lot guys that have an entirely different gear criteria and some of us have expressed those thoughts here. How is it, given the shear enormity of different gear configurations that these western hunting companies have designed and produced for western hunters, all whitetail guys should just do back flips and be happy with the first thing they produce for our predominant species to hunt.

Fact is I am tickled to see a company like kifaru take a step towards the whitetail world because as a broad stroke statement, western gear companies produce higher quality gear than the average whitetail company when you are talking about fit, function and weight. Our answer to a good pack system capable of hauling your gear and quartered out deer is a 2 wheeled cart that just flat out suck if you arent hunting right next to a 2 track or in wide open woods in flat ground. This new pack doesnt work for me but I am hopeful that it is the first step not the only step. Maybe Kifaru, SO, Exo, SG or MR will jump on in and take a serious look at this market, get feedback from hunters as to why and how they want gear to function and build in those directions. I spend 40 days or so chasing whitetails every year and it would be nice if my gear for that was on par with the gear I have now for hunting elk for a week.

Lawnboi

WKR
its quieter and quicker - at least for me

I have tried the sandwich deal as well. Greatly prefer slapping a stand on the back for most distances I was traveling. Granted everyone is different in how far they are going.

I found sandwiching a stand to be loud, and take too long to get attached/detached. Slapped on the back with a grab it and strap was quick, quiet and easier.

This pack intrigues me. I need to see more info on it. May replace my 14r depending.

Iv also been eyeballing he MR treehouse.

Squirrels

WKR
I have tried the sandwich deal as well. Greatly prefer slapping a stand on the back for most distances I was traveling. Granted everyone is different in how far they are going.

I found sandwiching a stand to be loud, and take too long to get attached/detached. Slapped on the back with a grab it and strap was quick, quiet and easier.

I will second this, just way easier