Stone Kifaru Evo

I purchased a Stone Glacier Evo 40/56 and with the fantastic customer service of Stone glacier I was able to get the Evo frame to fit me very comfortably. But, I kept doing research and found that possibly the straight stays aren't the best fit for me. So, I decided to take a chance that I could make the Kifaru composite stays fit in the Stone Glacier Evo frame. I ordered a set of 26" Kifaru composite stays, figuring if they are touch long I can just cut them down. Once the stays arrived I was suprised when they slide right in the Evo frame ( I assumed I might need to cut them a little narrower). They are about a 1/4-1/2" long but I was still able to close the velcro flap. I was even able to slide the fabric bag ,that Stone glacier has over the straight stays, over the kifaru stays. I have to say the pack feels like it was custom shaped to my back now. I haven't tried it with an weight yet, but I'll throw 40lbs in it tonight and see how goes. The Stone Glacier stay weighed .8oz on my scale and the Kifaru stay weighed 3.5oz. So, for a jump in 5.4oz I'm still between the Evo and the X curve in weight.

This is by no means a bash on Stone Glacier. In hindsight I should have ordered the X curve but right now I'm a little lighter than the X curve for about $30 more than price of the X curve.

Loaded pack opinions coming tomorrow if anyone is interested.

OP
S
You can see what the velcro tabs look like with the kifaru stays installed.
85ea20e79532ab956e845eb9e98a0968.jpg

Then you can see how they are a little too long.
67c22be812f5dc2ba8e03f88880e8f79.jpg

You can also see both stays next to each other and with the kifaru stay in the stone glacier stay sleeve
ab428c75ea75b5d5af6f423ea5449578.jpg

a152e4dcb8cd0e8fe2ef82182f7746c3.jpg
62481e1fcc86bcf08b65cd03a2434e4e.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Last edited:

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
That’s some creative thinking there Shallow Thoughts! Keep us updated.

OP
S
I was able to throw 40lbs in the pack and wear it around the house last night. I can't believe how much better the pack felt. Only a ruck of some distance will tell the truth but I anticipate good things. Then hopefully test the pack out with about 80lbs. Unfortunately, I'm not sure how soon I will be able to do that since I finished tearing what little ACL I had left.

OP
S
I took the pack out with 55lbs for a two mile walk to check trail cameras. The pack is more comfortable and I can let my hips carry more weight with out the belt sliding down. I think I might try 70lbs this weekend and see how it goes.

SCOGS

Lil-Rokslider
Don't the straight cross stays still basically keep the shape of the frame flat? Seems like it would be flat in the middle and curved on the outside. Can you post some pictures of the whole frame to get an idea of the overall shape? Thanks.