How does anyone decide???

Drew a NV bull tag and plan on headed into the wilderness area for a few days at a time.

Met both Aron and the SG guys at the NV Sheep Show and had my mind made up on a SG Sky5900.

Since then have decided the Kifaru Reckoning may be a better fit for me while both bags seemed a bit bigger than what I need.

Now I’m looking at the Woodsman, Muskeg 3000, and to make things worse SG releases the EVO 3300. Feel like the Muskeg with a guide kid would be plenty but set me back more than a Reckoning albeit waterproof vs not.

Kind of a rant lol but any suggestions would be appreciated...

Trying to decide is driving me nuts!

Sometimes you've just got to jump in, even though you know the water's cold!

I own Kifaru and Exo packs, love them both. But that doesn't change the fact that I want to buy a Stone Glacier and a Seek Outside. Try to find some guys that own some of these packs and try them on so that you can decide what fits you, or buy 2 or 3 packs, keep the one you like and return the others.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Theres a lot of choices out there, its a great time to be in the market. Like the other poster here, I also ended up with 2 packs, a kifaru Fulcrum on a 28" tactical frame and a Stone Glacier Solo 3300, I could get away with the Fulcrum, its a great pack but I was just intrigued by the SG stuff and had to have one. To me they fill different roles, the SG is for shorter hunts in steep country where I want the lightest setup possible, the Fulcrum is for longer, trips with heavier packouts (moose, elk, caribou).

The difference between the 2 is ~ 4lbs. Both are great products and I'm keeping both I'd give Kifaru the edge when it comes to fit, features and versatility/adjustability, the SG gets the edge un being lightweight and compact.

OP
ShockTroop0811
Theres a lot of choices out there, its a great time to be in the market. Like the other poster here, I also ended up with 2 packs, a kifaru Fulcrum on a 28" tactical frame and a Stone Glacier Solo 3300, I could get away with the Fulcrum, its a great pack but I was just intrigued by the SG stuff and had to have one. To me they fill different roles, the SG is for shorter hunts in steep country where I want the lightest setup possible, the Fulcrum is for longer, trips with heavier packouts (moose, elk, caribou).

The difference between the 2 is ~ 4lbs. Both are great products and I'm keeping both I'd give Kifaru the edge when it comes to fit, features and versatility/adjustability, the SG gets the edge un being lightweight and compact.

My biggest concern is comfort. I’ll more than likely be packing out any meat via horseback depending on distance and elevation/terrain.

I’m a bigger guy; down 30 lbs since drawing my tag so I’m saving weight by passing on beers rather than shaving it with the lightest gear possible. The Kifaru frame options intrigue me cause of this. I have 54” chest, bigger shoulders and arms and smaller waistline comparably. Having some frame options would probably benefit me...

The good news is that just about everyone sells frames and bags separately. If you’re still between different companies I’d start with a frame that suits your hunting style 90% of the time and see how comfortable it is with different sandbags as a load hauler. Regardless of what the manufacturers claim, packs fit people differently and the best frame for you won’t be the same as someone else. If it’s not working out it will sell on here quicker than a whole setup.

If it works then look at bag options, taking your gear into account. My buddy and I are going on the same elk hunt this year and will run vastly different sized packs. I tend towards a smaller pack for day use and carrying extra food or a bigger camp in a dry bag on the meat shelf. I want to go light and fast, and have the items I expect to use accessible via outside pockets.

For a potential future 14 day moose or caribou hunt, it’s not a big deal to buy a larger bag at a later time.

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
IME most all packs feel good with 30 lbs.

A few feel good with 50 lbs.

Very few feel good with 70 lbs.

None feel good with 100 lbs, but 1-2 will feel better than all the rest.

All the top companies, us included (Seek Outside), have return windows.

If it were me, I'd run up the credit card and order 2-3 different packs, try them in the house or around the yard with 100 lbs, then return the ones I didn't like in new condition.

This time next year, I'll have a Seek Outside and a Stone Glacier so that I can be satisfied that I've given all of the packs a test run, of course then I'll be wondering if I should try the Exo K2, the newest Kifaru frame, so It's probably never going to end!

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
This time next year, I'll have a Seek Outside and a Stone Glacier so that I can be satisfied that I've given all of the packs a test run, of course then I'll be wondering if I should try the Exo K2, the newest Kifaru frame, so It's probably never going to end!

That’s right it never ends, almost exactly a year ago I pulled the trigger and invested in a kifaru frame and pack....this summer, there’s new bags and frames out.

Same thing happened with my stone glacier, I got my frame and a few weeks later a. We frame came out.

all these new packs are cool but I doubt they would significantly improve anything other than spending my money.

jspradley

WKR
I honestly doubt you can go wrong with any of them.. the frame is the most important part IMO and all the top guys make good frames now. :)

The driving motivation for me was a lighter pack, that could carry a decent load when needed.

I was using a Large ALICE that was over 6 lbs empty, and then the ILBE, that was over 8 lbs empty.

I ended up looking hard at Seek Outside and Stone Glacier as both were/are modern designs of lighter weight.

I finally went with a Seek Outside Unaweep 4800, that weighs a little over 3 lbs empty.

I've been real pleased with it. Of course everybody has a different body, and not every pack suits everyone.

Not a bad idea to order a few, and return the ones you don't decide to keep. Or just be prepared to return until you find the one you like.

Last edited:

R_burg

WKR
While I agree, it doesn't change the fact that I'll still probably buy something that I don't really need.
Haha. As true as this is at this point I'm over buying bags.

A lot of other stuff I'm still willing to buy more junk than I need, but 300-400 dollar bags that will most likely change SLIGHTLY next yr is off the list, lol.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
I like having a large pack bag, you never know when a bigger trip will happen, and these packs are all so light the few extra ounces for the next size up is not that big of a deal in the broader scheme of things. IMHO if you are on the fence about size go bigger! : )

1shotgear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Drew a NV bull tag and plan on headed into the wilderness area for a few days at a time.

Met both Aron and the SG guys at the NV Sheep Show and had my mind made up on a SG Sky5900.

Since then have decided the Kifaru Reckoning may be a better fit for me while both bags seemed a bit bigger than what I need.

Now I’m looking at the Woodsman, Muskeg 3000, and to make things worse SG releases the EVO 3300. Feel like the Muskeg with a guide kid would be plenty but set me back more than a Reckoning albeit waterproof vs not.

Kind of a rant lol but any suggestions would be appreciated...

Trying to decide is driving me nuts!

I would go with what fits you best. I run SG and love it. SG is very comfortable and light weight and is perfect for what I need it to do. I had a Kifaru years ago, and when I switched to SG I wont wear anything else. Everyone is different and has different preference's, but if you tried both on at the Sheep Show go with the one that feels the best.

What Scott said! I recently switched to Stone Glacier after years of running Kifaru. Aboslutley nothing wrong with Kifaru. High quality stuff, great customer service, everything you'd want. But...SG just fits me better. You're probably different. That's why the classifieds here always have packs and or frames for sale. Congratulations on the NV bull tag. Lived here since '99 and still waiting. Best of luck! Let us know how it turns out.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

If it were me, I'd run up the credit card and order 2-3 different packs, try them in the house or around the yard with 100 lbs, then return the ones I didn't like in new condition.

this is what i did and id highly recommend. or find someone local who will let you try them out with a load. otherwise youll always be wondering if theres something better. loaded them up with 90lbs and walked around the house. packs are a lot like boots with a heavy load. what works for all the guys in this thread might not work for you.

IMG_20171220_161825806.jpg

I like having a large pack bag, you never know when a bigger trip will happen, and these packs are all so light the few extra ounces for the next size up is not that big of a deal in the broader scheme of things. IMHO if you are on the fence about size go bigger! : )

This is good advice, there isn’t much weight penalty to sizing up, and the bag can compress down for a smaller load. The opposite isn’t as easy to do.