New here, looking for advice

My Dad does DIY archery elk hunts on a fairly regular basis. I have been planning to go (we live in Ohio), but something has came up each year and I haven’t been able to go. First me and my wife bought a house and put a bunch of money down. Some unexpected things came up with the trip and I didn’t have the extra money. The following year my wife and I took on 3 foster kids and I didn’t want to leave her alone with them after only having them for a few months. This year we’re taking the kids (their adoption should be final next month) to meet my wife’s grandmother that lives in Georgia because she’s in her late 80’s and we might not get another chance. SO next September I get to go (Lord willing).
I’ve got almost everything for the trip, but I need a pack. I’m not looking to break the bank. I was thinking about the ALPS OutdoorZ Commander X. It’s $350 and has great reviews. I was also thinking about keeping an eye out for something in the classifieds here, but I don’t really know what I’m looking for. I found a KUIU Icon Pro frame that comes with an 1850 and 5200 bag. Is that a good setup? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
No idea about the pack you’ve mentioned but if it doesn’t work out.... the Horn Hunter Full Curl system is an excellent alternative set up in the same price range.

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
The Alps I'm sure will be durable and will stand up to big loads. I fooled around with externals a lot developing our frame, and vertical stiffness they've got in spades.

But $350 for a 9+ lb pack I just can't justify. One of our Divides weighs under 3 lbs and would handle heavy weight as well or better, at the same cost.

Last edited:

Rokwiia

WKR
I know when money is tight. BUT... there is NOTHING worse than a pack that is not super comfortable!!! I can easily say I have spent 5k on packs over the years. Some good, some bad, one incredible. That incredible pack is a Seek Outside Revolution. For me it carries like no other. HOWEVER, we are all built different so it's a matter of finding what works for you. SPEND EVERY SINGLE PENNY YOU CAN SQUEEZE OUT OF YOUR POCKETS!! You will thank yourself. A great thing to do is find two you like. Buy both on a credit card. Load them up and walk around your house. Adjust then readjust for a good fit. You will find one that carries better than the other. Spend the $20 for return shipping and a full refund. Now you have a pack that fits great, feels good and will serve you for years to come!! Best of luck

Jim

PS: Try and avoid those ONE SIZE FITS SOME mass produced packs. Again, you will thank yourself!