Washington early seaon bruins?

slvrslngr

WKR
So, I'm looking to get after bears a bit more this season. Will be hunting here in Washington, so no lack of critters, but I've got some questions.

How are the hides in August? Hunt them up high, in the alpine or stick to clearcuts? Any other tips/suggestions for finally punching a bear tag? Will likely be rifle hunting, BTW.

TIA!

Hides are so so. Not great. I like hunting them in the alpine. But if there isn’t a food source ripe that high that early then there won’t be much for bears.

Good luck

VO2Max

FNG
From my limited experience, their hides become much thicker once temps get lower and stay low-er... In the Alpine, from what I have learned, later September into early October is about right.

TRIPLE

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve been pretty successful up high in August. Personally, I get serious about bears about the 3rd week in August (and into mid September) and I’ve never had a problem with the hides of a Washington fall bear (even earlier in the month)

Food sources are THE key to killing bears, so where your going will slightly dictate timing. Western slopes of the cascades as well as higher old clear cuts tend to be productive a couple weeks before the eastern slopes, but in general on average weather/snow pact years around Aug 20th will produce

I have a backcountry spot that is a 10 mile hike to get to, but when you catch it right (ripe berries), there are literally bears everywhere. 4 years ago, I saw 9 bears in 2 hours from a single vantage point. The next morning, I saw another 4 bears that I thought I hadn't seen the evening before, for a total of 13 bears in about 4 hours of viewing. There were bears of every color phase you could imagine and some absolute monsters. I haven't been able to catch it that good since, but go back nearly every year to try.

epicaaron

Lil-Rokslider
I have a related question for early season Washington bear hunters, especially those on the east side: what do you consider a reasonable temperature for killing a bear and taking good care of the meat? I'm considering doing some hunting in and around ALW in the next couple of weeks in the evenings, but I'm nervous about August temps. I am considering hunting in the evenings, and trying to butcher and pack at night when its colder and there are fewer bugs and yellow jackets.

weatherbow21

Lil-Rokslider
I've never seen a rubbed bear in the fall. The hides aren't nearly as thick but They still look fine, better than a lot of spring hides actually since they aren't losing their winter coats or rubbing.

I've never been able to find a clearcut that had feed for a bear in it. I've found some that look like they should be good, such as evergreen huckleberries, red huckleberries, and salal berries, just never seen bears in them. Like others have said, its all about food for bears.

OP
S

slvrslngr

WKR
Been a bit since I've checked in here. Thanks for the responses and advice. Looks like my brother might be coming up to join me for bear so I'm going to need to get out and find some!

NateO 77

Lil-Rokslider
Curious how the hunting went. Bear hunting is my favorite hunt due to the low hunting pressure. I hunted bears in western wa. for 3 years and only saw one running away from me with no shot opportunity. After that something just started too click and now I see bear on more than half of my trips up looking for them sometimes multiple. I would also say the hides on all of the fall bears I have shot or helped pull out were decent enough to keep and have tanned or even rugs made.