CO Sept Rifle Tag!

rgrmike

Lil-Rokslider
Going on my first bear hunt. I have an OTC Archery Elk tag and a Bear Rifle Tag for units, 4,5,6,14,16,17,161,171,214,441. Does anyone know if I can carry both weapons? I've been told that if I'm rifle hunting then I must wear required orange etc. If I'm not wearing orange (while bow hunting) I can have my rifle but it cannot be operational (I would assume if I pulled the bolt I would be good). I was just going to mainly focus on bow but it would be nice to have my rifle towards the end of the season. I've never been bear hunting before so any links or advice is appreciated. I plan on doing a backcountry spot and stalk and treat it how I would an elk hunt. Thanks guys!

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Are you saying that you only have a bear tag? If so, I would pick your weapon and go. I certainly wouldn't be hauling both around. And if I had an archery elk or deer tag as well, I would focus on those and then throw on the required orange if I started chasing a bear with the bow.

swampokie

WKR
I have a bear rifle tag. I thought about buying an elk archery and doing both but probly just stick with bear. I think I would just wear the orange and back both weapons. I hate covering up all my Kool kid camo but not sure elk or bear care.

Last edited:
OP
R

rgrmike

Lil-Rokslider
I have both tags. I was debating on carrying both weapons and just wearing orange. I didn't know if it was legal to carry 2 weapons though....

OP
R

rgrmike

Lil-Rokslider
Elk is my priority but in the 15 days I elk hunted last year I ran into 3 bears without looking for them.

OP
R

rgrmike

Lil-Rokslider
Are you saying that you only have a bear tag? If so, I would pick your weapon and go. I certainly wouldn't be hauling both around. And if I had an archery elk or deer tag as well, I would focus on those and then throw on the required orange if I started chasing a bear with the bow.

I have both tags. Elk Archery and Bear Rifle.

Bulldawg

WKR
Go kill an elk, then when you come back for the second load bring the rifle in and shoot the bear eating the gut pile!

I would focus on one or the other, I think that if you try for both you'll end up with none. With the tag in your pocket if you come across a bear when elk hunting you could always shoot it with your bow too.

bsnedeker

WKR
Go kill an elk, then when you come back for the second load bring the rifle in and shoot the bear eating the gut pile!

I would focus on one or the other, I think that if you try for both you'll end up with none. With the tag in your pocket if you come across a bear when elk hunting you could always shoot it with your bow too.

Is that legal in CO? I know in some states that would be considered hunting over bait, but if not I agree 100% with this advice!

Chances of randomly running into a bear in CO are pretty slim if you ask me, so I would focus on elk. If you happen to see a bear with a bow in your hand, give him a run! If you are hunting big-open country you could definitely glass one up, but if you are hunting timber forget about it.

Bulldawg

WKR
Yeah it's legal, you can't move the carcass to a more optimum location but if you gut an elk you can kill a bear that's eating it.

Is that legal in CO? I know in some states that would be considered hunting over bait, but if not I agree 100% with this advice!

Chances of randomly running into a bear in CO are pretty slim if you ask me, so I would focus on elk. If you happen to see a bear with a bow in your hand, give him a run! If you are hunting big-open country you could definitely glass one up, but if you are hunting timber forget about it.

OP
R

rgrmike

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks guys. That is my plan. Last year I bumped one up at about 30 yards trying to move in on a herd. I had one walk underneath me while I was glassing from a peak and I glassed one at about 1/2 mile. They're in my area for sure but my priority is elk.

swampokie

WKR
I guess I’m different. My priority is bear but if I happen upon an elk maybe I can use his gutpile for bait. Saw several while elk hunting last year so I don’t think it’s that uncommon to see a bear in Colorado

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Saw several while elk hunting last year so I don’t think it’s that uncommon to see a bear in Colorado

I guess that depends on where you're hunting. I can count on one hand how many bears I've seen while hunting in 38 years in Colorado.

But ya, my advice is the same as Bulldawg's.........shoot your elk and then come back to shoot your bear on the gut pile. Just make sure you're wearing the orange if you go after one with the bow.

ckleeves

WKR
I don’t have enough fingers to count how many different bears I have seen in one DAY in Colorado! It’s all in where your at.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I don’t have enough fingers to count how many different bears I have seen in one DAY in Colorado! It’s all in where your at.

Ya, that's why I picked up a bear tag two years ago while hunting over in your neck of the woods. As much as I've heard of the bears in that part of the state, I figured it would be a slam dunk. Not a one......even carrying bacon in my pack.

ckleeves

WKR
Ya, that's why I picked up a bear tag two years ago while hunting over in your neck of the woods. As much as I've heard of the bears in that part of the state, I figured it would be a slam dunk. Not a one......even carrying bacon in my pack.

You gotta go a little further northwest and get into the oak country for the real high concentrations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
R

rgrmike

Lil-Rokslider
I'm optimistic about the bears. Last year I ran into a good size elk herd, multiple moose and some bears. Obviously my goal is to harvest but I get exciting just seeing animals. Nothings worse than a landscape void of any life. I think my plan will be to focus on Elk. If I harvest then pack the rifle on all trips back to my downed animal. I'll be back there pretty good so I'll have time.

chindits

WKR
Go for it Rgrmike. In one area last year I saw more bear than elk and in another area I only saw elk. I would chase what is in the area I am hunting. You can always use a that bow any season you want except with an ML tag. I don't know if it would be that fun packing a slung rifle while trying to bow hunt elk though.

OP
R

rgrmike

Lil-Rokslider
Go for it Rgrmike. In one area last year I saw more bear than elk and in another area I only saw elk. I would chase what is in the area I am hunting. You can always use a that bow any season you want except with an ML tag. I don't know if it would be that fun packing a slung rifle while trying to bow hunt elk though.

I have a pretty lightweight rifle that I considered slapping on my pack and leaving at my spike camp once I get set up. That way I have options when I'n far from the truck. I'll be about 6-8 hours from the truck this year so I don't want to have to walk back to get it if I'm surrounded by bears.

I may get to hunt with my buddy also who has an elk tag so I guess I we can hunt together spotting and if we get on something help each other pack it out.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
You gotta go a little further northwest and get into the oak country for the real high concentrations.

Oak brush is of the devil. Probably why I don't see that many. Haven't spent much time in that stuff in the last 30 years. I prefer timberline. However I did find a nice spot where I was hunting with about a dozen of these in about a one acre spot.

Attachments

• 100_3172.jpg
    100_3172.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 42