Wyoming Grizzly Hunt

elkhuntrr75

Lil-Rokslider
Am I wrong or is Wyoming getting greedy? $600/$6000 for a tag seems pretty high. It might as well be $1200/$12,000 or $2000/$20,000. There are plenty of people with lots of money but no cents. Lol get it no cents.

The special draw increases this year was a tough pill to swallow as well. Not to mention the money grab agreement they have with outfitters surrounding the wilderness. I hear Idaho is beautiful in September. It’s for sure more rugged.

I burned my elk points this fall. Once I burn through my deer and antelope, I think I won’t buy in anymore except for moose and sheep. I am sure that they won’t miss my money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NDGuy

WKR
No it's cheap compared to other places you can hunt them.

Last edited:
OP
E

elkhuntrr75

Lil-Rokslider
I agree ND. A brown bear tag for a nonresident in Alaska is $1000. Probably around $1500 after the hunting license and applicable stamps.

Wyoming is not only gouging nonresidents now, the are gouging their own residents.

NDGuy

WKR
I agree ND. A brown bear tag for a nonresident in Alaska is $1000. Probably around $1500 after the hunting license and applicable stamps.

Wyoming is not only gouging nonresidents now, the are gouging their own residents.

No I am disagreeing with you. You need to hire a guide with the tag in AK so it's more expensive than WY from what I have seen.

OP
E

elkhuntrr75

Lil-Rokslider
We would have to hire a guide in Wyoming ND. I bet 90% of WY grizzly units are wilderness.

mntnguide

WKR
Wyoming resident moose/sheep/goat is $125...non res is $2300.. roughly 18x. Grizzly 600/6000...10x. Your right, we should be charging non residents more for grizzly cause it's still less than half of what you would have to pay anywhere else to hunt grizzly. And if it bothers you.. don't apply. Simple

.. and yes, you can easily hunt Grizzlies in areas 1-6 outside of wilderness areas. Plenty of bears in the national forest

NDGuy

WKR
Wyoming resident moose/sheep/goat is $125...non res is $2300.. roughly 18x. Grizzly 600/6000...10x. Your right, we should be charging non residents more for grizzly cause it's still less than half of what you would have to pay anywhere else to hunt grizzly. And if it bothers you.. don't apply. Simple

.. and yes, you can easily hunt Grizzlies in areas 1-6 outside of wilderness areas. Plenty of bears in the national forest

Can't we all just be happy for the opportunity and sensible game management?

There seems to be plenty of anti-hunters willing to pay the fees to save one more bear, must not be too high.

Greedy? I'm sure their revenue from griz license applications/sales pales in comparison to the $ needed for legal costs and costs to manage the hunt. There is no shortage of people willing to pay non-resident license fees. I don't feel like license fees are going to some frivolous venture. The decline in hunter participation frequently quoted isn't the people traveling across the country to hunt elk. It's people who take a weekend a year to hunt locally that are declining and that seems more likely if it becomes overly expensive or complicated.

wyodan

WKR
I have zero problems with the current price of the licenses. I would have zero problems if the price was more. It is going to cost way more to oversee this hunt and manage the population. I never feel bad about contributing to that.

Gobbler36

WKR
Simple, if you don’t like the prices to apply out west then don’t apply and stay home and hunt. One more person we don’t have at a trailhead.

kscowboy01

Lil-Rokslider
Where is everyone seeing their issuance number? I see the usual "unsuccessful" next to my name but no number. I applied for the units that required the full tag price upfront, if that has anything to do with it. Thanks in advance.

wyosteve

WKR
I think the issuance number is only for those that applied in areas 1-6 where the top 10 will get notified.

rgrmike

Lil-Rokslider
Personally I'm really excited with the potential opportunity to hunt Grizzly in Wyoming. It cost me $15 to try and $6,000 if I'm fortunate enough to draw. I would imagine the odds this year will be better than in the future. All in all the hunt may cost me 10k? Sure that's a ton of money but I believe Alaska is 15-20K? It seems to me that we're getting better opportunities for a variety of species in a lot of western states. Colorado is admitting we have Wolves and possibly Grizzly. Perhaps those are hunts my kids can go on in 20 years.

I know I was really spoiled with the cost of Whitetail hunting in Ohio. The bag limit in my county was usually 5-7. I think a tag was $20. My dad didn't even want to pay that. It's just a different hunting culture in the Mid West or at least it seems that way to me. In a lo of ways western hunters are much more heavily invested in the pursuit of game. Now that I'm a CO resident I always tell my dad to come out. I solo bivy hunt and he has ZERO interest. Not willing to do the work or pay for a tag. Keeps more guys out of the woods I guess.

I would actually be willing to pay more as a resident to get CO to stop selling so many tags. I hate how they manage elk. I would rather hunt in CO every other year or pay more for a tag and have a better chance to harvest. I don't even hunt rifle anymore because there's so much orange.

OP
E

elkhuntrr75

Lil-Rokslider
Personally I'm really excited with the potential opportunity to hunt Grizzly in Wyoming. It cost me $15 to try and $6,000 if I'm fortunate enough to draw. I would imagine the odds this year will be better than in the future. All in all the hunt may cost me 10k? Sure that's a ton of money but I believe Alaska is 15-20K? It seems to me that we're getting better opportunities for a variety of species in a lot of western states. Colorado is admitting we have Wolves and possibly Grizzly. Perhaps those are hunts my kids can go on in 20 years.

I know I was really spoiled with the cost of Whitetail hunting in Ohio. The bag limit in my county was usually 5-7. I think a tag was $20. My dad didn't even want to pay that. It's just a different hunting culture in the Mid West or at least it seems that way to me. In a lo of ways western hunters are much more heavily invested in the pursuit of game. Now that I'm a CO resident I always tell my dad to come out. I solo bivy hunt and he has ZERO interest. Not willing to do the work or pay for a tag. Keeps more guys out of the woods I guess.

I would actually be willing to pay more as a resident to get CO to stop selling so many tags. I hate how they manage elk. I would rather hunt in CO every other year or pay more for a tag and have a better chance to harvest. I don't even hunt rifle anymore because there's so much orange.

Well said Mike. I have a friend that’s paying close to $3000 for a drop camp for a OTC CO tag. I wouldn’t feel comfortable spending that kind of money without putting some boots on the ground. CO does manage elk goofy and sells tags like our government prints money.

npm352

WKR
I am glad they are availible to hunt...but yes, Wyoming is super greedy. And they were long before this. Sheep point were like $7 when I started applying...then $100, then $150. Their whole special license system is a slap in the face to people who build points. It is just a step closer to simply selling tags to the highest bidder. But they have a lot of antelope so I hunt there alot. Interedtimg fact: it appears they do spend money well at least enforcementwise. My first three antelope hunts I was stopped in the field each year to have my tag checked. And one day we hadnt even seen another hunter and here comes a CO.

At least they arent Utah, who give a huuggee portion of their primo tags for auction.

I wouldnt pay $6000 for a griz tag there because if someone shoots a female the week befire youre hunt, you do not get to hunt. I'd gladly pay $6000 for the tag if I knew I would have a chance to hunt, which you do not. When you charge $6000 a tag, it gives the bear huggers ammo to say, "hey, they are doing this for the money and as soon as they can they will increase tags to increase revenue!" If they charged what an elk tag costs, it wouldnt be an argument.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J120A using Tapatalk

wyosteve

WKR
If you don't get the chance to hunt, the license fee is refunded according to the regs.