2019 Idaho Spring Bear Hunt

This is my first foray into the rockslide forums. I've been stalking around here for years, but have not posted. Looking for some advice in planning a backcountry 2019 spring bear hunt in Idaho. First, I'm a newbie at western hunting/backcountry hunting, although I'm an avid backpacker. I'm planning on packing into the backcountry on a spot & stalk style hunt. A couple of questions I'd like to leverage the collective wisdom of the group on:

1. What are some techniques/methods of E-scouting areas to find bears? I'm looking in units 10, 10a, and 12. Looking at Google earth and topo maps to find avalanche chutes, South facing slopes, etc. What else should I be doing?

2. What time in the spring is best for this type of hunt?

3. Any general advice/lessons learned from your experience you can share?

Thanks in advance
Caleb

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Follow the green up up the mountain depending on when you go. Grass is the main bear food source in the spring.

The trick is getting access to a lot of the country. You've got roads that are snowed in (usually anything above 6,000 feet until June or later) and roads that have washed out that haven't received maintenance. You really want to look at snotel, call the local forest service, figure out where you can drive, and have backups.

Mid May to early June is all good. Some guys have preferences in there and you could also go a little earlier or later but that time period is often when spring bear is hot.

Graves14

WKR
A lot of That country is really steep and heavily timbered. Just be ready for a lot of elevation change and lower visibility. I was considering elk hunting that unit but once I got there and looked around, decided to go to a different unit.

GL with the hunt!!

OP
calebmason33
This is great stuff, thanks and keep it coming

TheTone

WKR
10a is covered in logging roads in large parts of the unit and many of those parts will be covered in clearcuts and nasty regen.

OP
calebmason33
10a is covered in logging roads in large parts of the unit and many of those parts will be covered in clearcuts and nasty regen.
In other words, not a recommended area?

TheTone

WKR
In other words, not a recommended area?

Outside of a few specific spots it wouldn't be my choice.

All of the units you mentioned would be a tough go for a person. Its just really gnarly country; steep, brushy and heavily timbered in large amounts of it. IMO its seriously underrated country in terms of toughness.

OP
calebmason33
Outside of a few specific spots it wouldn't be my choice.

All of the units you mentioned would be a tough go for a person. Its just really gnarly country; steep, brushy and heavily timbered in large amounts of it. IMO its seriously underrated country in terms of toughness.
Thanks for the advice. Any recommendations on units I should look at? Those units were somewhat attractive based on being reduced/bonus tag units and higher harvest rates, although many of them appear to be over bait.

TheTone

WKR
You are most likely correct that the majority of bears are harvested in 10 and 12 over bait. I think you "could" get into some glassable country off the trail systems along highway 12, but I do have less experience in there than I do in the unit 10 country.

For me personally I look at areas that are more open, breaks type country. Think salmon river and south to the snake river plain for more country like that.

lang

Lil-Rokslider
I've guided in 10 in the late 90's but only in the fall. Lots of bears, but it is big and thick country. Access in the spring is tough where we were, and coming from out of state could be tricky from year to year unless you just come late in the season. I am farther in the panhandle now and see the most action late may into early june.

cambo0420

Lil-Rokslider
Look up Randy newberg on YouTube and look up his e-scouting videos. I think there is 4 parts. He is very in depth in his explanations and explains it really well