Spring bear in Montana or Idaho?

So, this coming year I'd like to plan a spring hunt for one of these states. I've hunted for bear before with no success, so not my first hunt. It will be my first spring bear hunt. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas for units to look into? Not looking for GPS coordinates to your spot - just want to get an idea for where to start. What state would be better?

This would be spot and stalk - I don't have dogs, nor do I want to bait. I likely won't be making it over to the area before the hunt, so I'd be going in with Google Earth/Topo scouting only.

Thanks guys.

Tag_Soup

WKR
I don't have info on montana, but know central idaho fairly well. If you decide on idaho, you can look at harvest statistics online, but they don't always tell the whole story. I have found areas in units 33,35,43, and 48 with good populations of black bear. Unit 33 has always been where I had the most sightings, but they were also the furthest off trail and it can be a late unit to have the snow come off, which may shorten your hunt. The good news in idaho, most units are OTC. The bad news is most units are OTC. There are limited draw opportunities. I know unit 32 & 32A have good populations of bears, but they get pounded by the hound hunting crowd, so I wouldn't focus there as a spot and stalk hunter. Eastern idaho has some great bear hunting, but there is a strong Griz population too, so I always avoided it. My best luck spotting bears has always been getting up high on old logging roads and glassing clear cuts or brush pockets. There are plenty of places to do that in any of the three units that I listed, as well as dozens of others. I would expect to put in quite a few hours per bear spotted in idaho. The OTC tags lead to a lot of harvest by hunters focusing on other species.

OP
J
Thats why I didn't head straight for harvest reports. I know Idaho and I believe Montana both allow hound hunting and baiting. I've never hunted in an area like that, so its nice to have an on-the-ground perspective of how that plays into the actual hunt.

I'm thinking a mid-late May timeframe might be the best bet. Thoughts?

slick

WKR
Thats why I didn't head straight for harvest reports. I know Idaho and I believe Montana both allow hound hunting and baiting. I've never hunted in an area like that, so its nice to have an on-the-ground perspective of how that plays into the actual hunt.

I'm thinking a mid-late May timeframe might be the best bet. Thoughts?

Baiting & Hounds for bears is a no go in MT.

RAHC

FNG
Im assuming your coming from out of state. If so i would look at the areas Idaho has that are considered "reduced areas". Meaning tag prices and next to nothing and you can buy two of them. Units 10 and 12 come to mind. Plus you can bait which I highly recommend if you want to maximize your time.

OP
J
Im assuming your coming from out of state. If so i would look at the areas Idaho has that are considered "reduced areas". Meaning tag prices and next to nothing and you can buy two of them. Units 10 and 12 come to mind. Plus you can bait which I highly recommend if you want to maximize your time.

I will be coming from Washington. I don't mind the tag cost - I just won't be able to get over there before May.

RAHC

FNG
Nice at least your close. I believe units 4,6,7,9,10 and 12 are all "second bear reduced tag areas". I recommend picking one unit and establishing your site on one weekend (heavy baiting), then coming back for 3-6 days and baiting heavy every day. Bears dont rut until late May so your timing will be good. Any of those units are good I would just stick to forest service ground.

Jesse Minish

Lil-Rokslider
Unit 1 in Idaho is no bait or hounds. Lots of bear but depending on the snow fall the later in the season the better for spot n stalk in my opinion. The end of May is usually good and the season now runs till June 15.

Montana has lots of black bears. Me personally I like to wait til May to hunt them simply because I like glassing the avalanche slopes and they usually dont start melting out until then. although heading up high and glassing creek bottoms works well. Either way is fun and just a great way to shake off the ol wintertime blues