Idaho unit 1 spring

Osprey

Lil-Rokslider
I've been looking into doing a spring bear hunt in 2018 in Idaho unit 1. Hunting Black Bears has always been something I wanted to hunt and I want to hunt them DIY style spot and stalk. Not over bait or hounds or a outfitter. I have a few questions for those familiar with this area and maybe chat via PM on areas I'm looking at hunting. I was looking at hunting late May or early June if I had to pick one 9 day slot would it be better to hunt late may or early june towards end of season? In May and June what would the bears primary forage be in this area I'm assuming the lush green grass but the more I can learn to read the prime areas in my hunting area the better off I will be. During the spring what have you expereinced as the best movement times I've read late morning through evening?

chuckles

Lil-Rokslider
I live in east Idaho, ill be headed up this year in may for my first time spring bear hunting in Unit 1. Ill get back to you if I remember, if I forget shoot me a msg and I will do my best to help you out!

if anyone has any advice or help I could use it for unit 1 also!

eyeguy

Lil-Rokslider
Unit 1 is in my final 3 choices of units for this 2017 spring hunt. I have read in a few places the ticks can be bad. Is this true in most all units and elevations? Wondering how the snow will be in mid may when we will be there. 75-100 inches of snowpack is being reported in quite a few areas in northern idaho.

Ticks can be horrible but I only seem to get into them where Elk or Moose have wintered. Generally not an issue, but when I am in the I am in them thick. I would say it is an average snow year, Lower elevation got a bit more than normal but pretty typical year in the mountains

weatherbow21

Lil-Rokslider
I can't speak for north Idaho for sure but I've hunted Colville, WA a decent amount for bears which isn't far from idaho and ticks can be horrible there. Buy some Permethrin and spray everything down with it, that stuff really works well on ticks

Wasatchbuck

Lil-Rokslider
Well, I live in unit 1.....whatcha want to know.

I will be heading up to Unit 1 this year. May 19-29, I have done as much research as is possible speaking with Idaho land office out of priest lake, game and fish biologist and of course google earth. Right now we are focusing in on the west side of the selkirks(east side of priest lake) based on everything I have been hearing. Seeing as how you live up there does this information hold true or should we be looking elsewhere? Many thanks!!

eyeguy

Lil-Rokslider
Wasatchbuck, As I posted above we are thinking of unit one also. I am a little worried that I was directed to the same area on the east side of priest lake. Good bear numbers I am sure but wondering about hunting pressure. The state land that is being managed for timber over there is getting hit hard by the bears and sounds like they are directing folks there to try to decrease bear numbers. Guy said the bears are hammering the new growth pines when they are 3-5 feet tall. Anyone hunt that east side of priest lake in mid may have any info on hunting pressure?

something for all of you to factor in this year is the extreme snow pack. I honestly don't know if you will be able to get up there until june... The snow in the low land of priest lake won't be gone until mid april... Not to steer you away cause there are a ton of bears in that area, but you might need a snow mobile to get to them.

It should be a good bear spot. I hunt mostly on the idaho/montana line. General rule is: east of 95 has alot less pressure than west. Most people go west. However, plenty of bear there. Just alot higher probability of running into more people that direction. The snow is melting fast. We are flooding something fierce here. In fact, at this point I think the number one worry will be access. We have had ALOT of mud slides and road closures. So, the road you want might not even be there.....no joke.

Somehow I erased a post. They are eating mostly grass until the berries come up. Try distress calls, they work for me. Always on the lookout for the easy meal. Be aware, you are in grizzly country. Not as bad west as it is east of 95 with grizz and wolves. However the bears here are small in general. They are not alaskan coastal by any stretch. The wolves are feral, large, Canadians though.

Wasatchbuck

Lil-Rokslider
Lots of country no matter how you look at it. Plenty of room for everyone to roam around. Those that are willing to walk the gated skid roads and or hike into country will eliminate the majority of people as usual. For me killing a bear is awesome but just as much I love seeing new country. if push comes to shove unit 1 is pretty damn big and always room to move to plan B.

East of priest lake is good. If you're willing to get away from the roads there are good grassy hillsides to catch them on. Anytime of day. Id aim for mid to late May. Things are melting off about average this year. Be prepared for long shots though

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Thanks! ive just heard of a ton of guys going around Priest lake area just on these forums but were not afraid to hike as many miles as it takes and we've been practicing out to 600yds so long as a bear shows then we should be good.

Wasatchbuck

Lil-Rokslider
we saw plenty of bears up there last year and not a single other hunter. Yes there were the non-consumptive users rallying around on atv's and utv's but we lost them as soon as we got away from any main road. And this was over memorial day weekend. There is an absolute ton of country up there and plenty of bears to go around for those willing to work for them.