Spring Bear Hunt in NE Oregon/advice

arri1942

Lil-Rokslider
Newbie to the forum. I am hunting spring bear in NE Oregon for the first time. Just wondering if anybody has hunted in the Wenaha or Starkey unit? I know Mt. Emily is supposed to be the best but draw odds don't look great. Not asking for info on where to go or honey holes, just wanting to hear any success stories because I think I will have a lot better chance to draw in Starkey or Wenaha. Thanks.

wncbrewer

Lil-Rokslider
No help for you, but I'm tuning in. I put in for the S blues tag and it will also be my first bear hunt out there (actually first ever for that matter)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wncbrewer

Lil-Rokslider
My plan for whatever it's worth is to glass some burns that are a couple years old as well as still hunt and call a couple of heavily timbered ridges that were hammered with bear sign back in September.

RAHC

FNG
Look for Onions and Dandelions. Spring bear will be in completely different areas than fall.

I just found this thread and I am headed over to Starkey this spring. Any tips ? How did you do?
It's my first time spring bear hunting so any pointers would be appreciated. Thanks!

Auckland

FNG
Lots of patience and time behind the glass. Glass, Glass, Glass. South facing slopes, or slopes that get a lot of sun will bring out the early sprouts and they will be feeding on them. They will be moving and rarely stop but just to nibble for a short time so when you find one, get it sized up and figure out if its what you are after and try to get ahead of them (wind in favor of course) for a shot. Not saying this is the only/best way to hunt them, this is just how it has worked for us. Hope it helps. Good luck and hope everyone fills their tags!

badshot

Lil-Rokslider
I just found this thread and I am headed over to Starkey this spring. Any tips ? How did you do?
It's my first time spring bear hunting so any pointers would be appreciated. Thanks!

You and I will both be there. Best bet is to plan to be there for as long as possible. I have found I get most of my looks after the first 2 days of glassing.

DRUSS

WKR
Hoping to get over in early may to find a few beers. My wife drew, shes not quite as aggressive as me .So we will be a lot more focused on where we will be going as opposed to wherever we find bears this year. But it will be a fun couple long weekends this may

Auckland nailed it above for tactics - I grew up in La Grande and while I’m holding out for a few more points to draw W Blues, here’s my take. Depending on your unit, you can find most of your bears come May 1-15 or so in those neck of the woods. When I was back home at the end of March, snow still was down in that 4,000-4,500 foot level, so giving it some more time to warm and green up is probably a good idea. Bring your shotgun and turkey calls, plus keep your eyes peeled for morels. It’s a super fun area to just be outdoors.