Bear Country Hiking

JigStick

WKR
When you guys are hunting bear do you make noise when hiking into the back country? So as not to startle one on the trail and potentially get mauled? When I was hiking in the Tetons it was greatly encouraged to make noise while walking into the back country to alert my presence to bear and moose

Uh, no. First, because bears aren't scary. I don't wander around the mountains constantly worrying about bears. Because I don't drive a Prius or wear skinny jeans. Second, I'm there to kill the bears, not the other way around. If I run into a bear on the trail, it's dying, not me. In short, if you're a hunter and not a granola munching yuppie, don't worry about it. Be a sneaky a-hole and focus on killing bears, not avoiding them.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think he is talking about grizzly bears. Ive never worried about it except in Alaska packing meat back to the air strip that had a bunch of bears on it and it was thick.
If it makes you feel better why not except possibly it'll detract from the whole outdoor experience

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Uh, no. First, because bears aren't scary. I don't wander around the mountains constantly worrying about bears. Because I don't drive a Prius or wear skinny jeans. Second, I'm there to kill the bears, not the other way around. If I run into a bear on the trail, it's dying, not me. In short, if you're a hunter and not a granola munching yuppie, don't worry about it. Be a sneaky a-hole and focus on killing bears, not avoiding them.

Feel better now that you've stroked your manhood?

I think this is a pretty legitimate question.

I grew up in the southeast U.S. around alligators and snakes, not bears. So when I walk through a swamp in june and july, I know how to conduct myself. I do not know how to conduct myself in bear territory and I won't pretend to just to seem manly. You discouraging and belittling people who want to gain some knowledge is pretty ignorant and contrary to what this whole site is about.

Last edited:
here, here! good show molle.
i've had 4 bear maulings in the areas i have worked, so yeah, it is a concern when i hike.
the op was asking for advice not ridicule.

I'm not trying to ridicule the OP, just the idea of walking around rattling cans/being excessively noisy while trying to find and kill a bear. Packing out through thick alders in grizzly country is another matter entirely. Hunting black bears in Idaho or Montana? That wouldn't make one bit of sense. In that case you're trying to walk into a bear without it having a clue you're there, not alert the whole mountain to your presence. Packing meat in the dark in grizzly country? By all means, be noisy.

If I'm hiking at night and have my pup with me I place a bear bell on her collar.

If I'm hunting without the pup I'll occasionally yell out "hey bear." If I am seeing a lot of sign I'll definitely be on a higher alert. I'm also careful when on an overgrown trail with head high brush with little or no visibility. So brushy trails, typically near river bottoms or across avalanche chutes are places I'd yell out and make noise. Basically you don't want to be hiking with your head down on a trail with limited visibility and surprise a bear at close range. Also use your nose. They are pretty stinky critters and often that is the first sign you're close to a bear.

Seeing as you'll be carrying a bear tag though I don't think you'll have any issues :). At least that's how it works out for me.

Op if your intent is to shoot a bear I would obviously not make noise as I've shot a bear literally 50 ft up a trail before and have run into them numerous times all over the place.

If your in the dark or your set in hunting an area you've scouted out then making noise doesn't hurt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
JigStick

JigStick

WKR
Im not trying to be an asshole. It was a serious question. I only hunt black bear here in PA, and the mountain laurel is so dam high and thick sometimes I have to crawl on my hands and knees on game trails to get to where I want to hunt. The last thing I want is a startled black bear looking me in the face while Im prone and not behind my rifle.

As much as I like fishing, hunting, hiking, etc...and always want to fill my tag...my number one priority is getting back to my wife and three kids safely. Ive never had the privilege of hunting out west, but I'm working on a mule deer trip and maybe a wolf trip in Idaho. And I was wondering how you guys go about "hunting" and "stalking" in bear country. I was always told to make noise when in bear country. So i was just looking for some advice.

Im not trying to be an asshole. It was a serious question. I only hunt black bear here in PA, and the mountain laurel is so dam high and thick sometimes I have to crawl on my hands and knees on game trails to get to where I want to hunt. The last thing I want is a startled black bear looking me in the face while Im prone and not behind my rifle.

As much as I like fishing, hunting, hiking, etc...and always want to fill my tag...my number one priority is getting back to my wife and three kids safely. Ive never had the privilege of hunting out west, but I'm working on a mule deer trip and maybe a wolf trip in Idaho. And I was wondering how you guys go about "hunting" and "stalking" in bear country. I was always told to make noise when in bear country. So i was just looking for some advice.
Out west here it isn't nearly as thick as your part of the country. When walking along and glassing canyons, there's always a chance that you'll walk right into what you're looking for. You really don't need to worry about getting mauled. Stay quiet and keep an eye out while you're walking, if the bear knows you're there it will be getting out of dodge. Especially when you aren't in grizzly country, the bears aren't a threat.

dotman

WKR
Feel better now that you've stroked your manhood?

I think this is a pretty legitimate question.

I grew up in the southeast U.S. around alligators and snakes, not bears. So when I walk through a swamp in june and july, I know how to conduct myself. I do not know how to conduct myself in bear territory and I won't pretend to just to seem manly. You discouraging and belittling people who want to gain some knowledge is pretty ignorant and contrary to what this whole site is about.

Screw that, I'll walk around with grizz any day before gators and snakes and Pathfinder is correct, bears are not lurking everywhere to get you unlike gators and snakes.

I hunt thick oak brush and try to make the least amount of noise I can, I've had bear within 15 yards and them not know I was there. When hunting we tend to be more alert to everything then when just out hiking. Only thing that worries me is getting in between a sow and her cub but that is the risk we take when hunting.

Last edited:

Bulldawg

WKR
It's just a numbers game, the odds of having a physical confrontation with a bear is so small. Every time you look at your phone when you get a text while driving gives you a higher chance of crashing and dying, way higher than a bear mauling.

Growing up we would travel to Yellowstone and my parents would preach and preach about grizzlies and how they're out there and will attack you, we have to make all sorts of noise when hiking. With all that worrying you never seemed to have as much fun as you should be. My folks still feel that way and tell me I'm stupid and I'm going to get killed when I hunt in grizzly country because I tell them I'm not afraid of grizzlies, but I know that I can't let fear over take me, I respect the animals and take the necessary precautions to ensure there is not an encounter at camp and I stay aware when I'm moving through the woods. Other than than I just hang out and have fun.

Last edited:
Idaho or Montana? That's where 50% of the grizzlies in the lower 48 reside. Archery season is high time for grizzly attacks. Lots of guys sneaking around in camo making elk noises wouldn't attract an obnoxious grizzly or two would it?

If you hunt/hike long enough, you will run into bear at some point. All you can do is be prepared and stay vigilant. If you feel like you may be in a bad spot or need to clap or make noise, do so. While hunting I personally have never felt the need to make noise but if I'm going into an area hiking where I know there are griz, it doesn't hurt if you make Some noise or turn around and look back every 200 yards or so. As stated above, bear mauling odds are pretty low for the number of encounters people have every year with them so just go out there and enjoy yourself while staying vigilant.

My first time in Grizzly country was 10 days in the Chugach National Forest. A girl was mauled in the area the week before we got there and and a man the week after we left.

At first, we made noise the entire time we hiked. By the end, I felt like we were more smart about it. We made noise when visibility was low and we were just trying to get to a glassing location.

Remember the golden rule though, complacency kills!

frankrb3

WKR
Also use your nose. They are pretty stinky critters and often that is the first sign you're close to a bear.

One summer I worked as an outfitter in North Eastern Minnesota. It was my last night and I was moving out of my cabin and packing my stuff into my truck when I noticed a really weird smell. Almost like a skunk, but definitely not a skunk. I had a head lamp on and looked towards a cleared area in the woods used as a client parking lot. Just caught a glimpse of a black bear as he sneaked by and back into the woods. He was probably 30 yards. As far as making noise in bear country, i don't do it. I see more wildlife that way and that's why I am out there in the first place. If I think there is a bear nearby, or I get a bad feeling, usually I pull out my revolver or bear spray and listen. Stay alert and be responsible for your own safety and I don't think you will have any problems.