Spring Bear Idaho debating wilderness units

tculv

FNG
I'm looking to do my first spring bear hunt in Idaho this upcoming season, well my first bear hunt ever. I plan on doing a spot and stalk. Per the research I've been doing I feel I've overwhelmed myself with a number of great areas to try but would really like to narrow it down.

I've been looking specifically at Units 16a, 17, 19, and 4.

If anybody thinks one area is better than other let me know. I'm not necessarily looking for a honey hole but would very much appreciate a good place to start from. I will have an ATV to use as well.

I'm trying to also get time off work during the first part of June feeling this may be a good time. Any input on this would also be appreciated.

Thank you in advance

Last edited:

Zoo Keeper

Lil-Rokslider
I'm in the same boat all the way around except planning for late May, was looking 10, 12, 28 (based off coworker), or 39.

Looking forward to any advice folks have as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
T

tculv

FNG
I also looked at 10 and 12. May I ask what the coworker stated about those area? What are your thoughts on the snow levels do you think they would be low to none at the time your planning to go? You can send a PM if you want.

10 and 12, atleast near the mt/id border are going to be snowy this year well into june...and that is if it quit snowing now. They are forcasting heavy snow in that area, several more feet, on top of the 7-8 that there is currently. I really hope that doesn't happen.

Wasatchbuck

Lil-Rokslider
hunting unit 10/12 2 years ago. Did a ton of research per google earth and talking to lots of people. There are plenty of bears in both of those units, problem is its really thick, like jungle thick and steep. Not a whole lot of places to do much glassing. Be prepared to do a lot of walking. We saw bears but on average each bear we saw was a long way off and easily required dropping and gaining thousands of feet in elevation. It was definitely one of the harder hunts I have been on.

we like to try new units every year and this year we are focusing on units that do not allow baiting and/or hounds. So right now we are pretty much set on Unit 1. Spoke to a fishcop and biologist the other day. Both confirmed an abundance of bears in unit 1 with the biologist saying the area we are looking at has the highest density in the state.

Zoo Keeper

Lil-Rokslider
I also looked at 10 and 12. May I ask what the coworker stated about those area? What are your thoughts on the snow levels do you think they would be low to none at the time your planning to go? You can send a PM if you want.

There was no solid logic behind it, where they decided to hunt. They had success. Sounds like they did a fair amount of ATV riding though...

10 and 12, atleast near the mt/id border are going to be snowy this year well into june...and that is if it quit snowing now. They are forcasting heavy snow in that area, several more feet, on top of the 7-8 that there is currently. I really hope that doesn't happen.

Yeah, we discussed that & most think it won’t be easy to hunt this area until mid-late June.

As far as 39, the feedback I was given was to look at 43. Good access with less Boise crowd. It’s also only a ~5 hour drive for me from SE ID. I still haven’t ruled out the Salmon region, but I think everything is going to depend on snow/temp across the state.

I had considered going to 39 for my spring bear, the harvest numbers are huge but 43 is also tempting. I live in Mountain Home so neither is far, I guess we'll see where the wind takes me. I'll probably end up scouting both over the next month and if you're interested I can pm you info on what I see.

Zoo Keeper

Lil-Rokslider
I had considered going to 39 for my spring bear, the harvest numbers are huge but 43 is also tempting. I live in Mountain Home so neither is far, I guess we'll see where the wind takes me. I'll probably end up scouting both over the next month and if you're interested I can pm you info on what I see.

That would be awesome of you.

I know I will be going for a long weekend late in May, but hopefully a weekend trip earlier in the month. Even knowing snow melt & road conditions would be a huge help.

That would be awesome of you.

I know I will be going for a long weekend late in May, but hopefully a weekend trip earlier in the month. Even knowing snow melt & road conditions would be a huge help.

I'll definitely let you know, and if you want when it gets closer to when youre coming out in can update you on snow and roads real easily. Both units are literally in my back yard

43 is a good choice
39 is a zoo in any season, also do not overlook the pioneer zone but that area will be dependent on snow as well

I hadn't even considered the pioneer zone, I will definitely look into it! I just looked at 39,43-45 because they are so close to Mountain Home that I can make quick trips up to scout. This spring has gotten really busy really quick so I only have 4 days at the end April and 4 days at the end of May to get out and hunt so optimizing the amount of time I can scout beforehand has been key. I haven't wandered into 43 yet I have only looked at the F&G numbers of bears taken in spring, any recommendations on a good place to start scouting? This is my first bear hunt and I'm doing it solo, I've be researching bear habitat and spring activity but I wouldn't say no to any starting points.

I would shy away from unit 4 for spot and stalk, not a ton of quality ground for that type of hunting, also it is open to baiting and hounds. Up this direction unit 1 is a better bet.

Unit 1 or another unit up north is the place to go. High bear densities and pressure is different than deer/elk season.

Last edited:

Coach529

Lil-Rokslider
I would shy away from unit 4 for spot and stalk, not a ton of quality ground for that type of hunting, also it is open to baiting and hounds. Up this direction unit 1 is a better bet.

That is good info to have. I live in Post Falls and would like to do a spring spot and stalk hunt.

Thanks.

Kulshan

Lil-Rokslider
When you guys are saying snow will be an issue in 10 and 12 is that for all roads or should most arterials be clear by mid May?

Ive never hunted Idaho and I’m looking at 10, 19 or 21. Backpack, spot and stalk.

I'd stick to higher concentration bear areas to make it easier on yourself. But the Salmon River Breaks should be pretty good. You'll have to hike some super steep terrain to get out of the river. The plus is youll for sure have access because the road is really low.

Last edited:
How did the bear hunting go last spring for the guys posting about their plans?

I learned a lot! Spent a bit too much time in an area I knew and was comfortable with instead of changing my plans and moving to areas with a higher bear density. I did see a bear, and it was where I least expected to ever see one. I was hiking to a gassing spot and saw it moving on the hill side adjacent to me, at noon, in 93 degree weather! Just out for a stroll. Long story short, I couldn't go after him. I'm hoping for better luck this spring!