5 Guide-Tested Techniques for Grizzly Encounters, by Billy Molls

dotman

WKR
Great article, I found it interesting that you made no mention of spray. Do you carry spray. I've had a couple distant encounters that required no action, and when I was younger I always said well I'll just shoot the bear that charges. Well I've come to realize that if you have time to deploy a weapon, it's not going to stop (close range, body alarm accuracy here) a bear in its tracks, and even if you do land some shots a bear, or even a human for that matter still has enough life left to seriously injure or kill you. Especially if that was the intent to start with. I also realized that I don't want to kill a bear that I'm not hunting, (Bob Marshall). I'm choosing to enter into the small corner that these awesome animals have been pressed into, and I do appreciate them. Don't get me wrong, I'm not going to be eaten without a fight, but wonder what your opinion of spray is as a non lethal tool. Perhaps you don't mess with it as it's not mentioned.

Hmm, I wonder if bush pilots even allow spray in their planes. If one somehow burst that would be a guarantee for a crash.

Ian

Lil-Rokslider
Hmm, I wonder if bush pilots even allow spray in their planes. If one somehow burst that would be a guarantee for a crash.

good point, that'd be a bad day. I just wonder aside from where you'd have to fly in if Billy has had any spray experience or opinion.

WKR
We carry in some of our helicopters. It goes into a special tube that's like a pelican box, but round. FAA approved. That then gets stored in the boom compartment.
We never allow aerosol or compressed gas (except OUR oxygen tanks) inside the cabin, too risky. But it's not a big deal the way we do it.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

They are commonly carried in bush planes and helicopters up here. Usually in an outside compartment (belly pod, float compartment). If no outside compartment, they they are sometimes flown in an airtight container in the cabin. I've seen and used a variety from ammo cans, to home built PVC tubes with screw tops, to commercially made containers just for the purpose. Sometimes the air taxi or helicopter company has one they want you to use. Not usually for pilots to have a container duct taped to a strut or skid either if they are flying them a lot. Always worth asking ahead of time how they want to handle it.

It's always a bit of a hassle though. Which is one reason that I personally carry a gun instead of spray when doing field work. Other and more critical drawback is that you flat CAN'T fly commercial with them.

billy molls

Super Moderator
Howdy Ian, If I weren't already packing a .44 or .375 H&H, I suppose I'd consider spray. I figure when Grizz and I get cheeky I'm going to opt for a firearm every time, so I don't bother with the extra weight. That said, I'd rather have bear spray in my hand than nothing. I don't doubt at all that a good dose to the eyes would make many would-be man-mauling bears think twice. Cheers,

Ian

Lil-Rokslider
Howdy Ian, If I weren't already packing a .44 or .375 H&H, I suppose I'd consider spray. I figure when Grizz and I get cheeky I'm going to opt for a firearm every time, so I don't bother with the extra weight. That said, I'd rather have bear spray in my hand than nothing. I don't doubt at all that a good dose to the eyes would make many would-be man-mauling bears think twice. Cheers,

I definitely feel more comfortable having some fire power. I wonder if it is sometimes a different mentality depending on where you come from. Growing up in MT, I was always worried about the legal battle it could turn into if the evidence of a potential mauling didn't side in my favor. I can only imagine having to keep my wits with a griz bearing down on me. Thank you for the response Billy. Look forward to seeing you around.

jpuckett

Lil-Rokslider
Wow!! Awesome article. Sounds like you've got quite a large set of stones lol. Thermal rest lol. Love it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

billy molls

Super Moderator
Great article, I found it interesting that you made no mention of spray. Do you carry spray. I've had a couple distant encounters that required no action, and when I was younger I always said well I'll just shoot the bear that charges. Well I've come to realize that if you have time to deploy a weapon, it's not going to stop (close range, body alarm accuracy here) a bear in its tracks, and even if you do land some shots a bear, or even a human for that matter still has enough life left to seriously injure or kill you. Especially if that was the intent to start with. I also realized that I don't want to kill a bear that I'm not hunting, (Bob Marshall). I'm choosing to enter into the small corner that these awesome animals have been pressed into, and I do appreciate them. Don't get me wrong, I'm not going to be eaten without a fight, but wonder what your opinion of spray is as a non lethal tool. Perhaps you don't mess with it as it's not mentioned.
You're correct: I don't carry pepper-spray. A .44 or .375 H&H is my defense. Knock on wood, I've never had to kill one in self defense. My Dad did on a moose hunt together. However, he had a tag for it.
Cheers,

Gulfgoose

FNG
Welcome Billie. I also loved your book. Was just thinking about grizzly bears and pondering hunting unit 1 in Idaho. For someone that's not familiar with the ins and outs of grizzly country it's intimating for sure. Thanks for some insight.

Edited to add: After reading your article I might not have the Moxy for multiple encounters

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
We're in the same boat. Debating on a spike camp in Unit 1 but the grizzlys have us questioning this for a bunch of flatlanders.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
We're in the same boat. Debating on a spike camp in Unit 1 but the grizzlys have us questioning this for a bunch of flatlanders.
Some times you just have to roll the dice
ac855ffa354baea8990f922a745f857f.jpg

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

billy molls

Super Moderator
I guided in the Frank Church for 8 years. Back then grizzlies were very scarce. I never saw a track. I'm not at all familiar with area 1, but I'm sure there's some brazen grizzlies in that country. A human without the ability to use a firearm, or at a minimum a bow and arrow(legally) against a grizzly is by far a it's easiest prey to kill! They are being conditioned to have no fear of man. Not allowing hunting for them is totally irresponsible and goes against ALL human reason since the beginning of time. That said, I'd go. You should have a partner, and perhaps hunt together. Be vigilant. Take proper precautions and go. You'll likely have an adventure you'll never forget. Good Hunting,

Voyageur

WKR
Older article, I know, but I refer back to it from time to time. Curious if another 5 years of experience have added any additional advice to your list?

NDGuy

WKR
Easily one of the best hunting videos I’ve ever seen, mad respect for Billy and John. It would be an honor to get to hunt with either of these guys.

Reminds me of the old Peter Capstick books, chasing wounded and dangerous game in the thick brush. Thanks for posting.