5 Guide-Tested Techniques for Grizzly Encounters, by Billy Molls

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
attachment.php

Hey Roksliders, super excited to have this writer back on board. If you were part of that first 500 Rokslide members, you probably remember Alaskan guide extraordinaire and writer, Billy Molls. He was one of our founding writers bringing stories of all-things-north-country to life. He's also the author of "Alaska and Me" which I reviewed right here a few years back Book Review: "Alaska and Me" - Rok Blog
(rumor has it that book # 2 is in the works)
I've stayed in touch with Billy all these years (in fact, if not for Billy "Hunting Big Mule Deer" might have never got off the ground) and am very happy to have him back on Rokslide.

He is wealth of info on Alaskan hunting, consistently bringing home the game for his clients the stories for the rest of us Alaskan wannabes. Billy''s also a family man (he was reading bedtime stories to the kids just a few minutes ago, I happen to know) and attributes his passion to his grandfather's inspiration so many years ago
attachment.php

So please give Billy a warm welcome and take a gander at one BAD-A grizzly article below- it could save your life!

5 Guide-Tested Techniques for Grizzly Encounters

attachment.php

Also, visit his excellent-inspiring website here: Billy Molls Alaska Hunting Guide | Videos | Modern Day Mountain Man DVDs

Billy will be on this thread, so be sure and say hello

Last edited:

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Welcome Billie. I also loved your book. Was just thinking about grizzly bears and pondering hunting unit 1 in Idaho. For someone that's not familiar with the ins and outs of grizzly country it's intimating for sure. Thanks for some insight.

Edited to add: After reading your article I might not have the Moxy for multiple encounters

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

dble07

Lil-Rokslider
Glad to see Billy back on board. I enjoyed his book and the couple DVDs that I have are my favorites.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Grumman

WKR
Thanks for the great article. I've never hunted in grizzly country but they scare the crap out of me ever since The Revenant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DRUSS

WKR
Welcome Billy, hoping to read some more stories. Been looking at some DIY backpacking for elk in Grizzly country . So looking to learn as much as possible before going.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

billy molls

Super Moderator
Hello Roksliders! It's good to be back! Thanks for the feedback thus far.

Guiding hunters is so rewarding because I have an opportunity to make my clients' dreams come true. I'm here to serve you. Please, don't hesitate to fire questions at me. I want to write articles with merit and value to you, fellow Roksliders. The wilderness of Alaska is a powerful, often life-changing place. I'm passionate about helping others experience it.

Leave it all on the mountain,

Great article and some real sound advice, thanks for taking the time to share it.
As you stated in the article greeting the bear on your own terms is huge. This past summer I had an adolescent grizzly come into my camp early one evening sniffing around, with my 450 Marlin in hand I put the run on it and all was well ( my terms ). A few hours later that night when I went out behind my tent to brush my teeth it charged me ( it's terms ). It stopped at about 10 yards bounced on its front paws and made a huffing noice that's hard to describe. I stood there in my shorts with tooth brush in one hand and mouthwash in the other, dumb founded and helpless. After a few seconds it turned and disappeared into the brush and it was over as fast as it started. I'm not sure that if I had my 450 or bear spray in my hands I would have had the wear with all to use them.
I look forward to reading more of your articles in the future and hope to see your book in digital format some day.

frankrb3

WKR
Thanks for the article. I hunt with grizzlies in Montana but have never had an encounter and will probably never gain the knowledge through experience that you have earned from hunting in Alaska. I appreciate you sharing what has worked for you, and it has given me confidence that I am doing most things right. Just hope I can keep it together when I run into my first bear. It's only a matter of time where I have been hunting.

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
Billy, really good to see you back. Man, you need to keep making more videos! I have them all and by far, the best out there and i think that most roksliders would enjoy them.

To the sliders..........Billy is great to talk with. Lots of good equipment experience and is willing to share that knowledge.

Randy

Great article. I've encountered three grizzlies over the years. Two of them were over a hundred yards away and left us alone after looking us over. In the Bob Marshall, one got a bit close and didn't respond to yelling or a shot fired at its feet at 25 yards. What did work was a burst of pepper spray that the wind carried down to her. She turned away and didn't come back. The USFS studied the effect of firearms vs. spray for bear defense and it came out about 50/50 in their examinations of successful bear defenses. I carry a can of UDAP and a Ruger Redhawk 4-inch .45 Colt loaded with 325gr. +P lead flat nose hardcast at 1350 FPS when I'm scouting or backpacking. Buffalo Bore makes them and so does HSM. I agree that hardcast is the only pistol bullet choice for grizzly. If you're family camping in grizzly country, keep spray, a magnum rifle in .30 caliber or higher or a 12 gauge with 1 oz. slugs handy around camp. A lot of people knock on spray, but I can tell you that as a law enforcement firearms instructor, my experience is that handgun accuracy under duress is less than optimal for almost everyone unless they practice several times a month. It's worse for magnum calibers and most magnum pistol owners are not practicing with them enough. Spray has a really wide margin for error and it can be used to buy you time to set up a shot with a firearm or can be deployed by another person in conjunction with a gun. Keep in mind that kids can use spray a lot easier than they can your .44 mag if it came to it.

Thanks again for the article.

wildcat33

WKR
Great article, this is nothing less than hard earned experience telling it like it is. Thanks for sharing!

Last edited:
Hey Billy, thanks for the article. Living in the southeast and traveling west / northwest to hunt, I have not encountered a grizzly yet. But I've always wondered how my reaction will be when it happens. I appreciate the 5-step bullet point article with tips on how to handle the encounter.

BRWNBR

WKR
One thing that seems realativly common with my clients who aren't used to curious bears is a slight moment of panic. Keep your wits about you, stay calm and rational. Billy's arcticle is spot on. But if you freak....lol

Ian

Lil-Rokslider
Great article, I found it interesting that you made no mention of spray. Do you carry spray. I've had a couple distant encounters that required no action, and when I was younger I always said well I'll just shoot the bear that charges. Well I've come to realize that if you have time to deploy a weapon, it's not going to stop (close range, body alarm accuracy here) a bear in its tracks, and even if you do land some shots a bear, or even a human for that matter still has enough life left to seriously injure or kill you. Especially if that was the intent to start with. I also realized that I don't want to kill a bear that I'm not hunting, (Bob Marshall). I'm choosing to enter into the small corner that these awesome animals have been pressed into, and I do appreciate them. Don't get me wrong, I'm not going to be eaten without a fight, but wonder what your opinion of spray is as a non lethal tool. Perhaps you don't mess with it as it's not mentioned.

Mike7

WKR
Great article Billy, thanks. That advice all makes sense, but I would not have known to try some of those things without your experiences and you explaining it.

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
Well I feel much better about dancing with a Griz now. Thank you for the tips just glad we don't have them here in Colorado. Welcome back to Rokslide. can't wait to read more of your stuff.

Jauwater

WKR
Good article. Bears are a common topic of discussion when I'm bringing new people into the woods. I myself, know very little about bears. After a handful of bear hunts, and several reads about the animal I feel I'm starting to gain some knowledge. All thanks to people sharing their knowledge, and experience. It's much appreciated. Thank you!

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk