Spring bear

Jon Boy

WKR
I've seen 11 so far but no shooters. All down low in creek bottoms still. I saw a sow and cub the other day so its safe to say all of the bears are out now, just gotta find where they are.
3dc262bcfc6b1537a95f1a7f3af6677b.jpg
d89670b006dea6f7914b98bf479559c3.jpg
1e7d5a674ab959bc52e1d546babeea44.jpg

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

Well, I went out this weekend on Friday and Saturday to a different spot that i had never been. Saw lots of sign, but not one bear and a lot of ground was covered. Talked to F&G and they said blackies aren't really coming out yet that they know of.....so....make of that what you will. I was up off the Canadian border because roads are all still closed in my normal spots.

JLH208

WKR
Checked out bait yesterday and found we had a hit. The sign looked like only one bear maybe in the middle of the week, but the melting snow erased his tracks. He bent the barrel a little while trying to pull logs out and ate a bit of what was on the ground. Will be checking the camera cards today and will post what we find.
2adad88bece6452f2229b06d97da2c2c.jpg
92b588ab1501606b05467065eda9f625.jpg
2e1a98b886d1a240586bfc511a5422e1.jpg

- Jesse

eyeguy

Lil-Rokslider
Good luck with your spring season! Was the last picture an am or pm? Others look at after dark. We leave in 5 days cant wait.

JLH208

WKR
Good luck with your spring season! Was the last picture an am or pm? Others look at after dark. We leave in 5 days cant wait.

Thanks you too! It was around 0700 which hopefully gets later in the morning. The rest were just before dark and once at about 0200

- Jesse

92xj

WKR
Anyone been in the area between Lolo and Pierce lately? Curious of the snow report for bears. This isn't the exact area I'll be going but I think close enough for a realistic report. Wouldn't mind PMing with someone on the area as well. This will be my first time in.

Anyone been in the area between Lolo and Pierce lately? Curious of the snow report for bears. This isn't the exact area I'll be going but I think close enough for a realistic report. Wouldn't mind PMing with someone on the area as well. This will be my first time in.

Still lots of snow up high throughout the area. You'll find plenty of burned off slopes on the south faces at the 5,000' range but expect some difficulties actually driving to the areas. Lots of bears starting to hit the ground!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Any particular area? We are over that way pretty regularly (have a couple bait sites out on the Idaho side) you can pm me if you would like, and if it is an area we are familiar with I would be glad to help out.

JLH208

WKR
5d0336ffd75dfb111f91a566f6863ca3.jpg

Just thought I'd let you guys in on what I'm doing this week. I have never sat in a blind for an archery hunt before and figured with my situation I needed to practice for this. We are going to either be in my buddy's antelope ground blind or just in the brush blind we built when we go sit the bait this weekend and we will be sitting in chairs. Due to lack of space and trying to minimize movement I wanted to prepare for a shot from the chair in case I don't have the opportunity to get up. I figured out that setting my chair at a 90* angle to the right positions me closest to a normal standing or kneeling shot. I was surprised at how comfortable it actually was. Only thing I had to work on was keeping my chest out, as the chair made me want to slump forward. Other than that this chair worked great and was perfectly clear of strings and cam at full draw.

- Jesse

Kmarkwardt

Lil-Rokslider
What elevation are you N Idaho guys hunting? I'm down in Sandpoint and am searching for my first bear. I, like you guys have been running into a lot of snow and a lot of closed roads. The lower elevation (3000-3500') places that I have been able to get into haven't yielded any sign at all.

Are you trying to stay right at or just below the snow line as it rises?

I live outside bonners ferry and I ran into a grizz at the end of my road 2 weeks ago. That is in the valley. Ran into a lot of sign up by eastport lastweek, but didn't see a bear. No snow there at That elev. That is around 4500 or so. Got up snow creek area last week aswell. Ran into snow there at 5k.

Kmarkwardt

Lil-Rokslider
I live outside bonners ferry and I ran into a grizz at the end of my road 2 weeks ago. That is in the valley. Ran into a lot of sign up by eastport lastweek, but didn't see a bear. No snow there at That elev. That is around 4500 or so. Got up snow creek area last week aswell. Ran into snow there at 5k.

Thanks Shooter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If my normal hunting partner can't get out on Friday evening I will let you know and I will take you out if you want. No promises though. Also, my normal spots I can't get into.....so I'm exploring aswell.

IrishnId

WKR
I've been out after work almost every night. Bonners is full of awesome people. I've only seen two bears, but they've been well past my effective rifle range, with no way to close the distance. Ticks are horrible. Won't be able to get back out up there only have two more days of work. Finally got a bait set out around home though. Hopefully pics will be soon.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

JLH208

WKR
e23f402e23afd192a760c21e40cac08c.jpg
f93c63f04c5e186f5b3e9c3869d71669.jpg
bfe0ba16ed8b46a853fe2c825684a732.jpg

Got a few more coming in. My brother missed a shot Saturday night on a good blonde right before dark. He was pretty bummed. I'm hoping to find that big brown this weekend when I go!

- Jesse

Got a few more coming in. My brother missed a shot Saturday night on a good blonde right before dark. He was pretty bummed. I'm hoping to find that big brown this weekend when I go!

- Jesse

That big brown one looks pretty nice, if the trail cam time is correct that is an odd time for a big bear to be there, has he been consistent?

We will be going up this weekend to check our baits, they have been in since may 1st and generally start getting active around the 3rd week of may (6500ft). Curious if the snow this year will affect that date. Judging by the marks we chain our barrels to, when the snow is gone the barrels will be atleast 4 ft off the ground.

JLH208

WKR
That big brown one looks pretty nice, if the trail cam time is correct that is an odd time for a big bear to be there, has he been consistent?

The time is correct and yes it is very unusual but unfortunately not consistent. He is pretty sporadic. The blonde my brother missed was on time every night.

- Jesse