Spring bear

Yeah, snow was knee deep here about 1000ft up out of the valley. Stopped me in my tracks. That is after I managed to get past the non-roads.....grrrrrr.

Made a trip up today, all the FS roads are still closed due to snow depth and /or erosion. There was a winter storm that dropped almost 2 ft in some areas, probably quite a setback for the dates that the roads will open. Hiking was tough, snow over my knees in the shade around 6000'.

Well, I got about 1000ft out of the valley today. There was nothing green....at all. Snowed on me all day. Did manage to see everything but bear. Think it is still too early here. Gonna wait 2 weeks.

Going next weekend here in SW Idaho. My spot is only about 6000' elevation. I think I'll be good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JLH208

WKR
610680b2a0a474f67125c0dab1ad4ddb.jpg

Also SW Idaho, called the other day and my road will not be clear for a while so coming up with a plan B

jmccartie

FNG
No, North. Bonners ferry area.

Have you had past luck in Bonners? Everything I read about bear is long range scouting (no bait in zone 1), but everything near me (about 30 min south of Bonners) is heavily forested. My only idea is to walk the grassy forest service roads.

Would love any tips if you have them!

JLH208

WKR
Have you had past luck in Bonners? Everything I read about bear is long range scouting (no bait in zone 1), but everything near me (about 30 min south of Bonners) is heavily forested. My only idea is to walk the grassy forest service roads.

Seems like about all you could do, except maybe set up and call as well?

Jon Boy

WKR
Went shed hunting in central MT yesterday. Didnt pack the rifle because its been snowing/raining and was forecasted to snow all day. Ended up running into 2 bears. One was in his den but came out to have a look after I took some pictures. Cool day.

I actually live in Naples. The tactic that works for me is to find clear cuts that are south facing. Bears will come up the hill, eat grass and shutes all while catching the morning sun. Or you can find known bear areas and track them. That works well for others I know. Most areas north and east are the best. North of hwy 2 and east of 95. This year sucks for spring bear......it's like endless winter here. I can't get to any of the good areas. Fall bear is different. Then you go between 95 and priest lake.....lots of bear there. Fall is the only time you can get in there though.

IrishnId

WKR
I'm working out of Bonner's for the next month. Brought a pack and rifle just for evening excursions. Hopefully I can find some places to walk into.

ALL the good places you can't get into. Either too much snow or roads closed for various reasons. I am trying something new because of that. Good luck.

I am itching so bad to get out after spring bears! Just need a bit more snow to melt and it'll be go time. I bought a new calf moose in distress call this year and am hoping it will work well for calling in grizzly bears once I spot them. Best of luck to all, stay safe and have fun!

JLH208

WKR
9e85c3ecfc8249c2a4b37cec8fb46b60.jpg

Got ours out yesterday, not the same spot as last year but close. Was lucky to borrow a 4wheeler and got it stuck a lot but made it to a good area that nobody else has been in. Local guy said a he spotted 2 bears in that area a couple days prior.
78e9890a27be2610b452fdd50a94aa66.jpg

Forgot the lid to the barrel and a few other things haha and decided to start with one barrel here and maybe in a week take the other up in a different spot.
f90faecd0583d05ec194859f373a4171.jpg

No bear sign but saw a set of wolf tracks some large moose tracks. Will be going back up in a week to check cameras, refill hopefully and throw the lid on, maybe throw the other barrel up and do some glassin.

Quick update on the swan valley. I was out this week still lots of snow up high but the bears are out. Most guys are finding them in the creek and river bottoms. Im waiting til my new reckoning shows up to get serious anout it. Best of luck to everyone

DDAM

FNG
@missionmtn1990, do you know how far in are they going in to get eyes on the bears? I'm heading out in about a week towards the palisades area. I ordered the Kifaru Native to attach to my reckoning, took approx 3 weeks for them to ship it out so if any of you are planning to get one, Order well in advanced or else you will be like me and hoping it'll come 1-2 days before heading out =\

Well all roads still closed. So I had to walk along ways. I ran into a griz at roughly 20 yards or so. He was bedded down and poked his head up....then just got up and walked off. Only bear I have seen this spring though.....suck.

BCSteel

FNG
I went out this weekend to check out some terrain I've never been to before. No bears spotted but I saw some good country and had a good time.
70ce598a407ee46a749c64bb081588d5.jpg
1c9157c98f7f92b576eabf7c8015d5dc.jpg
5fd9e094f9fe439c38337c1ba8285300.jpg
decf96423fde81a608c487b6452a77d8.jpg

I was down just south of condon yesterday. I got eyes on a good boar for just a second bit didn't have time to capitalize. East side of the highway is melted out pretty good. I got my shipping notice on Friday for the reckoning so with any luck at all I should have it by Tuesday.