Spring bear

Gobbler36

WKR
Anyone from eastern Idaho around the Swan Valley have any input on their snow level in the mountains towards the palisades? Would appreciate any "eyes on deck" detail. I'm planning on hitting those area early May and trying to decide whether crampon/micro spikes will be needed.

Just drove through this area for work on my way to Jackson two weeks ago and snow was still up high but looked as if the a majority had melted again though this was from the Hwy so take it for what it is

Slingshot

FNG
Spotted this beautiful bear a week ago around 4,000ft along the Montana/Idaho border. wished the bear was a little bigger watched him eat for 30 minutes before he finely caught wind of me and ran off the road.

Make sure the video quality is on high some reason it wants to play it in low quality.

[video=youtube_share;MOKgDP6I6nA]https://youtu.be/MOKgDP6I6nA[/video]

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Cool video i know nothing about bears but that one looked big to me. Would you say it's average or below average size so I'll have a better idea. Hoping to make it up that way the end of the month.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

JLH208

WKR
Definately experienced some walk up shrinkage but can't bitch too much, got my first bear. Sitting behind a tree by the blind my brother and friend were in, this young sow walked in around 1700 today. I believe it is the one my brother missed. The only bear to be hitting the bait every day. 30 yards double lung, died within 50 yards.
da1761018e26d720d8e8b03711497d92.jpg
f62b5430703471eb9b6ff3d73d877eda.jpg
82b7600f37fab3f1dbfcab071bf808c3.jpg
3ef117d5642ae9ae0b6dbe7e159ef31e.jpg

- Jesse

JLH208

WKR
I was able to get it on film which I was happy about, and I also found this sweet dead head yesterday morning 200 yards from our bait. It had been under snow this whole time and we'd probably walked right over it.
55ed8280c73057b553053ae17b72674c.jpg
53b9cf97123e1b6d57acacf2bd79a22a.jpg

- Jesse

DDAM

FNG
Just drove through this area for work on my way to Jackson two weeks ago and snow was still up high but looked as if the a majority had melted again though this was from the Hwy so take it for what it is

Thanks Adam634, I was up there about a week ago, bumped into a bunch of everything except bear until the last day and it was a sow with cub. I was going for spot and stalk and the last place I expected to encounter a bear was where we saw it. The bears were less than 20 yards away from me in a tree but I didn't notice, my buddy behind me caught the movement and yelled out to me because I was getting pretty darn close to a mama bear with a cub. Searched for 4 days just to finally find one sign of fresh bear scat on the last day. But elk and deer where every where, steep country though. Would've been a tough one regardless. Thanks again!

I was at far north yesterday and there was a guy there checking his bear. This thing was tiny. All jokes aside, my dog is bigger. I'm pretty sure it was either a big 1 year old or really small 2 year old. Judging from the looks of it....about knee high or so tall.....tiny.....but dude was super proud. However, he has a bear and I don't right now....lol.

Slingshot

FNG
Lol yes that's what I learned growing up hunting bears in the spring, is if the bear looks small it is definitely small and If it looks big it's probably still small.

Well, my partner got his bear tonight. He had the better shot, so he took the first. He shot broadside at about 40 yards. It spun around and he told me to shoot. So I put a 300 grain 375 through its open mouth and out its butt.....througb and through. After that, it still was staggering around. So my buddy shot it again. It then went down, but slowly. It was a good looking brown boar. I would say it was around 200-225lbs. A really good looking spring bear.

Dang how did I miss this thread!!! Awesome guys. It's been "hot" for bear action here in SW Montana. I've seen 12 bears since May 1 only hunting Friday nights mostly. I'll post some pics an vids soon if bears I've come across. I took my best bear last Friday night. Still combing through pics but I'll post soon!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk