Spring bear

Frank the Tank and I have history! On Sunday June 09 2013 just before dark my best hunting partner and I spotted Frank four seasons ago. We were two far away to make a play on Frank and he was busy putting moves on a hot black sow. I called into work and took Monday off to go after Frank. That night we made the 7.42 mile trek into his layer. Frank never showed but another jet black bear presented a long range shot just before dark. I errantly sent a a round inches over his back not taking into account the rising thermals.

Fast forward three seasons. I hunted exclusively for Frank and one other giant black bear in a different area. I spent well over a hundred hours in Franks layer waiting and watching patiently. I found signs that Frank was still there and I knew no one had taken him as I had never seen any other hunters even remotely close to that area.

On Friday May 26th I made the first trip back into Franks layer for the 2017 season. Montana received above average snow pack and I've found the bear vegetation isn't prime in this area until late May. On my way up the mountain I stopped to glass several other prime areas that can hold bears. Low and behold I spot another large chocolate colored bear. Fortunately he was many miles away and would not be an option for that nights adventure. I continued my trek up the mountain and soon found myself in my favorite glassing spot. I settled into the hole I'd dug into the hill years past and set up my tripod and binos to start glassing. The time was 4:30 p.m.

Before I could even get set up I spotted a large brown object with my naked eye that seemed out of place. I've looked at this spot over the course of four seasons and have dang near every rock, stump and otherwise bear shaped object memorized!

When I peered into the binos I immediately recognized Frank. His size is unmistakable!! I scrambled to get out my spotter and took some pics and video before making a move.

I had already planned out this moment many times over in my head for the day Frank returned. I had even scouted the area sufficiently to know exactly where I could set up for a close range shot.

I wasted no time and got into position in less than 20 minutes. I cut the range from 731 yards to a very doable 270 yards. Frank had one last trick up his sleeve. He was feeding from right-to-left towards an opening on the ridge. Frank stopped behind the last tree, lifted his head and checked the wind. I felt the wind swirling with those unpredictable afternoon thermals. Frank's nose didn't fail him and he was now aware of my presence. He turned and made a break for the safety of the timber. Unfortunately for Frank, I've been practicing that shot at much farther distances. Frank bolted through a clearing between the trees. I trapped Frank as he passed through my 3 foot shooting lane and sent a 180 Berger Hybrid from my 7LRM. Frank disappeared as fast as he had appeared. He was gone and I had no indication of a hit.

I responded to the area where Frank was last seen. Signs that Frank had been there for at least a day were present but no signs of a hit or dead bear existed. I started by trying to track his route. It was initially impossible because there wasn't an inch of that hill side he hadn't trampled during his feeding routine.

For 2 hours I grid searched the hillside with no sign of a hit bear. I didn't want to accept that I had possibly missed my only opportunity at Frank. I searched behind every tree, stump and rock. On my last pass and on my way out after 3 hours of searching I finally located the only sign I would find of a hit bear. I lucked out and found a rear foot pad impression in the dirt in the general direction Frank had run. I was able to track him for about 15 yards when I found a small drop of blood about 3mm in size.

794a27df79825a0737ee5494c8460b69.jpg

I continued my search until nearly dark with no luck. Exhausted and nearly depressed I returned to camp and ended the 12 1/2 mile day.

I returned the following morning and vowed not to give up on Frank. I knew in my mind I had a good shot on Frank. My plan was to work the opposing, timbered hillside and creek bottom. I knew a mortally wounded bear would seek the darkness of the timber and the creek bottom. I started grid searching the opposing hillside working my way to the creek bottom every 10 yards. About half way down the hillside and just above the creek in a nasty rock outcrop I caught a whiff of that distinctive bear odor from the rising thermals. I froze in my tracks and scanned my surroundings. I glanced over my right shoulder and spotted Frank piled up in a hole in the brush only 5 feet from where I had just walked.

78169f84fc1999f64b03257a0d1204e6.jpg

A flood of emotion overcame me and a culmination of 4 seasons, close to 100 bears passed and a 7 hour search had come to an end. From the time I left my truck and returned I had hiked 33 miles.

607c4dbcba8879afc791144ba31c254e.jpg

What made this adventure even better was the fact that I had my best friend and 13 year old pup with me. She's accompanied me on many of back country bear hunts but had never been with me when I've harvested a bear.

Cheers
Montana Dan!

c8d7b9abaf4ea3f494eff12a393c82fa.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

JLH208

WKR
Good job danmayland! What are you going to do with the cape?
6350aa711bbf7a25063ea35bbb458664.jpg
I finished my skull yesterday and re colored my dead head bull, 6 to 8 months I should get my rug bag

- Jesse

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Frank was a tank! Congratulations. That's one heck of an emotional rollercoaster ride. Way to stick it with the search

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I finished my skull yesterday and re colored my dead head bull, 6 to 8 months I should get my rug bag

- Jesse

It's going to be a rug and I'll make something cool with the skull. I might actually mount the euro on a elk she'd similar to what you've got above!

Frank was a tank! Congratulations. That's one heck of an emotional rollercoaster ride. Way to stick it with the search

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Man you're not kidding!!! I teared up little and choked up when I found him!!

MtnBum

Lil-Rokslider
//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170531/c8d7b9abaf4ea3f494eff12a393c82fa.jpg[/IM

Man what a hunt! That's what dreams are made of right there, thanks for sharing your story with all of us. I love reading guys success stories, I didn't get the right opportunity to harvest my spring bear this year but I learned a lot this season which is a big plus! I hate to get off topic but I was just curious if you have a proof research carbon fiber barrel on your rifle. I work for proof and couldn't help but notice that that looked like one of our barrels.

//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170531/c8d7b9abaf4ea3f494eff12a393c82fa.jpg[/IM

Man what a hunt! That's what dreams are made of right there, thanks for sharing your story with all of us. I love reading guys success stories, I didn't get the right opportunity to harvest my spring bear this year but I learned a lot this season which is a big plus! I hate to get off topic but I was just curious if you have a proof research carbon fiber barrel on your rifle. I work for proof and couldn't help but notice that that looked like one of our barrels.[/QUOTE]

You're correct that is a poof research barrel. I tried to get you guys the chamber it for me but unfortunately you guys only chamber for the reamers you have on hand so I sent my reamer to Elk Meadow precision in Utah on your recommendation and they did a fantastic job with the titanium muzzle break to complement it. It's wrapped up in an AG composites carbon fiber stock. Total weight comes in at 8.14 pounds.

JLH208

WKR
1 more down in our group, 1 more to go. Today is the day, unfortunately for me I wasn't there with them last night because I was working and will also be working today but will be waiting on a phone call with saying bear down!
efd824f26b8a1eb6eaae9520f2587261.jpg

- Jesse

1 more down in our group, 1 more to go. Today is the day, unfortunately for me I wasn't there with them last night because I was working and will also be working today but will be waiting on a phone call with saying bear down!
efd824f26b8a1eb6eaae9520f2587261.jpg

- Jesse

Congrats!!!

vlad

Banned

- Jesse

Please let me know if you ever decide to sell this.

928d5b9317d43081df66199cd295baf8.jpg

942e77a48cd4f2b348af5d8d13a0f20d.jpg

Got mine done last weekend

This old boar was aged at 9 years roughly.