AZ BEAR - Anyone?

My boss has a home in AZ and has asked me to research possible Black bear hunting in AZ. I am hoping I may get this hunt as a company "bonus"...so trying to do my due diligence.

Any pointers on where to hunt? High bear concentrations? etc? Any pointers really would help. I am going to contact the AZ game a fish, but I have always had great luck with the resident "experts" on Rokslide.

Not looking for anyones honey holes.....just some pointers.

Thanks in advance!!!

RoJo

WKR
4B, 23, and 27 are good choices. It depends on what kind of hunt you are looking for. In the fall? Full-blown wilderness backpack hunt? Hiring a guide?

OP
Ironmerganser
Thanks Rojo.
Fall rifle hunt. Have read that glassing and predator calls are the way to go in the fall.
Have found a couple guides....would prefer to do it myself by packing in and such, but we will see how much info I can get.

teamvit

Lil-Rokslider
With the season opening in August packing in can be rough. Your are hunting the desert and will see 100+ temps. If it is a good pear year the bears will be low, which makes them easier to find. If no ripe pears they will be a touch higher often in the manzanita oak country (a lot thicker). I haven't ever hunted them high in the pines since it is harder to glass. I will bring up the temps again as I have them make a hunt miserable for people who aren't prepared. Bring plenty of water. If you go in OCT temps are better but units can and will close.

RoJo

WKR
^^^
Good info there.

Oct. is definitely the more pleasant time to hunt. Some of those hunts will close pretty quickly, but others will stay open well into Nov. or later. But those are naturally the tougher hunts. Much of the country in those areas is very rugged, with limited glassing opportunities due to dense vegetation. Calling may be the ticket in those places. In areas with limited prickly pear availability, they may be dining mostly on manzanita berries. Sometimes you can find glassing locations overlooking huge stands of manzanita, but if you get a bear down in that stuff it may be pure hell getting it out.

teamvit

Lil-Rokslider
I wouldn't rethink it, but be prepared. Without prior scouting it can be tough to find bears. Moisture/rain influence feed and where they are.

I absolutely love AZ bear hunting (maybe I'm a glutton for punishment). Its been a few years since I've had the opportunity to go but will be going again this year.