California black bear, deer

Fellow Californians,

I am trying to do some scouting this summer in the Emigrant Wilderness area, or possibly in the Carson-Iceberg or Mokulumne(sp?) Wilderness areas. I will be hunting with a bow in August so won't have tons of time to scout. A ranger told me the snow probably won't melt until June or July, so SR-4 and 108 are closed until then. This will be my first time backpack hunting into these areas, although I have hunted near Bull Run Lake a long time ago. Anyone else frequent these areas?

JohnnyB

WKR
I am familiar with the Mokelumne Wilderness area and have put a lot of miles on in and around there. Over the years I have spotted more bear than bucks, but there are both.

I can't wait till enough snow melts to retrieve my game camera. Maybe a month or so.

WKR
Saw many bear around Moraine Lake when I was there many years ago. Awesome country, rugged.

Lake was full of snakes, btw.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

jyatsko

FNG
Fellow Californians,

I am trying to do some scouting this summer in the Emigrant Wilderness area, or possibly in the Carson-Iceberg or Mokulumne(sp?) Wilderness areas. I will be hunting with a bow in August so won't have tons of time to scout. A ranger told me the snow probably won't melt until June or July, so SR-4 and 108 are closed until then. This will be my first time backpack hunting into these areas, although I have hunted near Bull Run Lake a long time ago. Anyone else frequent these areas?
Hey Buddy,

I plan on scouting Bull Run area this july for archery deer season. Msg me if you want to touch base.

J

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

Mischief209

Lil-Rokslider
108 is open to kennedy so you can get up pretty high and scout. Ive hunted carson more then anywhere in california and its gone wayyyyy downhill. I now get more cats on trail cam then anything. Decent bear population out there but bucks are few and far between. Couple good packs of coyotes also.

jyatsko

FNG
108 is open to kennedy so you can get up pretty high and scout. Ive hunted carson more then anywhere in california and its gone wayyyyy downhill. I now get more cats on trail cam then anything. Decent bear population out there but bucks are few and far between. Couple good packs of coyotes also.
When was the last time you were up near Bull Run peak?

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

Mischief209

Lil-Rokslider
I havent crossed into d5 or north or spicer in 4yrs since haveing a d5 tag. I hunt d6 south of highland and spicer lake in that section of carson every year.Ill usually make a couple day loop to backside of the cones not quite to the lake and then head east towards arnot peak down into jenkins. Stop by drew creek and back to spicer trailhead. With d6 going back to preminum i may not get the 6 tag and ill be over there this year. Seems like the more north you go more bears you see.

John Kimble

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone hunted Yolla Bolly or near the town of Covelo? Ive never hunted the emigrant but did hunt Hayfork and the Trinity Alps.

Pro953

WKR
I have hunted near Covelo. Good reputation area but it's not a great secret and sees a LOT of pressure. Lots of bears as well which can help if you have a tag. Just don't fall in love with a spot pre season and expect to have some friends, esp on he weekends as usual.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk