Bear Calling in the Brush?

hjcruger

FNG
Hi, all. I'm all about exploring the "big woods" of Vermont, and am trying to come up with an excuse to go back to a spot I scouted this fall a few miles into the Breadloaf Wilderness. A 2-3 day bear hunt would likely fit into my schedule because it is so early in the fall. Here's my conundrum. Damn near any type of hunting is tough in Vermont because of the prolific undergrowth in uncut areas. Visibility is generally limited to 20-50 yards (below are some pictures from the spot I'm talking about). I'd love to give predator calling a whirl, but doing so in such thick cover seems like a good way to get swatted by a hungry bruin. What do you all think? Would the limited visibility make predator calling for bear unsafe? Even if it was safe, would it be reasonably effective? Thanks.
IMG_1752.jpg

IMG_1759.jpg

IMG_1760.jpg

IMG_1774.jpg

Find a moose calf in distress call and give it a whirl. You'll be ok, just be smart and very aware of your surroundings.

eyeguy

Lil-Rokslider
If you can pack in a tree stand that would make you safe and improve visibility.

What will surprise you, is how quiet they are coming in. You most likely (especially making noise with a call) wont hear them at all, unless the everything is really dry and crunchy.

wawhitey

Lil-Rokslider
Do ot, its a blast. Called in my bear last spring, snuck in behind me, didnt hear a thing til it was 10 yards away

Saylean

FNG
Limited visibility can be a great way to call. The bears feel safe and might come in. Like others have said, they may come in quiet, they may come busting in, or they may hang up just out of reach. My advice, find a sturdy back support like a tree or stump, or if you can get up high on a stump and call away for an hour. If you have a buddy to come along, toss him 75 yards to either side of you. Watch your down wind, they will try to sniff you lots of times, so make sure that is your lane of fire.

Good luck, post pics and happy hunting.

OP
hjcruger

hjcruger

FNG
Thanks for the advice, everyone. Looks like I'll have to give predator calling a whirl!