MT black bear

Does anyone have eyes on Tally Lake area? Just curious on roads and snow depth, I've checked the snow depth site but would like to hear from people out there. Just want to make sure I've got all my bases covered before heading out thanks.

Still quite a bit of snow everywhere but it's supposed to be warm and sunny for a while now so that should help. Bears are out and about check down low

Slingshot

FNG
Still alot of snow here around 9 mile close to frenchtown, more than past years. Keeping the bears down below the snowline. But ive seen alot more bears than i usually do this time of year.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

MtnBum

Lil-Rokslider
I reside here in the flathead valley, i went up near tally lake the first part of april to do some pre season scouting and you couldn't drive up far enough to get whitefish mtn meadows rd. due to the road not being maintained throughout the winter. I was over near Onley, MT bear hunting last week and snowline where i was at was about 3800ft. Im sure the roads near at tally lake have gotten a lot better within the past month and with the weather being 70 degree here today Im curious to know what the conditions will be like this weekend.

MtnBum

Lil-Rokslider
If your still about a week out you should be alright by then, weather here is supposed to be in the high 60's to low 70's for the next week or so. Either way let me know how it goes! This will be my first year getting out in the spring with intention to havest a bear. Im thinking of opening a new thread to figure out what guys on the forums take is on which areas are good for bear hunting in NW MT, specifically near the flathead valley. Ive heard walking the log and fire roads up by the hungry horse reservoir can be the ticket but thats about all ive heard so far. Any other advise would be awesome!

There are bears almost everywhere. I usually have my best luck going in a ways on the mountain bike but lots of guys find them right from the truck. South fork is good as is the north fork. I prefer the swan valley but that's just because I have property down there. Just be patient and spend lots of time behind the glass and your bound to turn a few up

OP
D
This will be my first spring hunt for bear, I was out last fall and fell in love with the mountains not sure why I didn't get there sooner. I will definitely post updates when I have service or when back.

MtnBum

Lil-Rokslider
Awesome, best of luck to you on your hunt. I hope you enjoy your time up here in gods country!:cool:

Last edited:
OP
D
Hunted for 3 and a half days found one bear couldn't get it done though all my fault, I'm ok with that it means I get to spend more time in some awesome country