First Bear!!

John Kimble

Lil-Rokslider
Congratulations! I am beyond jealous. Hopefully this year I will get a black bear down.

Bar

Banned
Great looking bear. Congrats!

I wish I was enjoying a spring bear hunt, but the damn tree huggers got our spring hunt canceled forever.

woodmoose

Lil-Rokslider
congrats on the bear!

as far as recipes - all kinds,,,,make sure to trim most fat off,,,,,,I like bear stew (root vegetables and bear meat cooked low and slow),,,,,bear steaks,,,,BBQ bear ribs,,,,,I've even injected a bear shoulder with "A-1 New York Steak House Marinade" and grilled slow,,,,heck even bear steaks with garlic pepper only, grilled to done,,,,

key to me is to cook well done,,,,I've heard you didn't have to any more, but I'm old fashioned,,,,,

Bar

Banned
congrats on the bear!

as far as recipes - all kinds,,,,make sure to trim most fat off,,,,,,I like bear stew (root vegetables and bear meat cooked low and slow),,,,,bear steaks,,,,BBQ bear ribs,,,,,I've even injected a bear shoulder with "A-1 New York Steak House Marinade" and grilled slow,,,,heck even bear steaks with garlic pepper only, grilled to done,,,,

key to me is to cook well done,,,,I've heard you didn't have to any more, but I'm old fashioned,,,,,

Not sure who told you that you didn't have to cook well anymore, but you do. Trichinosis is not to be fooled with.

woodmoose

Lil-Rokslider
Not sure who told you that you didn't have to cook well anymore, but you do. Trichinosis is not to be fooled with.

ahh, but good sir - I said I cooked it all the way,,,said it was key,,,,despite what information is out there,,,,,,

and yes, I don't want trichinosis but I am also not overly afraid of it,,,,despite that nearly 100% of bears are carriers (badly infected normally),,,there aren't that many cases,,,,,,,

hwoever, yes, you need to prepare it carefully,,,,,there are reports that freezing for 20 days works,,,,there are temperature requirements,,,,,also the required temperature during cooking is lower than what I thought,,,,but I will error on the side of "well done" just as I always have,,,,,,,,

so please, take my post as it was intended,,,,that I eat my bear (and recommend others do as well) well done,,,,despite reports that might seem otherwise,,,,

thanks!

Bar

Banned
ahh, but good sir - I said I cooked it all the way,,,said it was key,,,,despite what information is out there,,,,,,

and yes, I don't want trichinosis but I am also not overly afraid of it,,,,despite that nearly 100% of bears are carriers (badly infected normally),,,there aren't that many cases,,,,,,,

hwoever, yes, you need to prepare it carefully,,,,,there are reports that freezing for 20 days works,,,,there are temperature requirements,,,,,also the required temperature during cooking is lower than what I thought,,,,but I will error on the side of "well done" just as I always have,,,,,,,,

so please, take my post as it was intended,,,,that I eat my bear (and recommend others do as well) well done,,,,despite reports that might seem otherwise,,,,

thanks!

I did take it as you intended. I didn't want a bad rumor started. You don't know how many might read your post and think they didn't need to cook bear well done anymore.

Just being cautious.

OP
Gobbler36

Gobbler36

WKR
Awesome bear ribs is something I did not think and will absolutely be trying on the next one
BAR sorry about the spring bear situation in CO maybe one day there you guys can get that back.

I have to say that this bear was delicious, it truly has been a treat for the family and I and good throw in from all the deer we've been eating lately. My favorite way was a stuffed meatloaf from Rinellas guide book. If you haven't seen that recipe check it out... freaking delicious and my 3 yr old devoured with the biggest smile while mumbling "daddy were eating your big bear"!

Bar

Banned
I haven't given up on eating bear meat. I hate to hunt for anything that I don't personally eat. I must be getting bears that have been chowing down on an old carcass. I need to shoot one with a mouthful of berries. Not easy around here.

Awesome bear!!! Well done. Judging bears imo is very difficult. I look at between 20-30 bears a season and still have difficulty telling sows from boars. Size is easier as you just get a feel for it. Especially after you see what a big bear looks like. The head is usually the best indicator of a boar. Blocky and wide whereas sow's tend to be more narrow. Sow's are typically shorter and more round. Boars typically have a more straight back and sow's appear more round.

Here's a picture of the bear I took this year. When I spotted the bear and took the following picture I knew it was a boar because of its head and size. However when I walked up on it in the next picture I thought. Damn, did I shoot a sow? From the angle of the picture head looks narrow with a really round rump. Turns out it was a short fat boar with a much wider head than I anticipated.

a45cb90f35fe68bf9a903511f6aa0b01.jpg

678472bdde89869440b3ba58a3643d11.jpg

89c223a54f45886ceb33195abfefe85a.jpg

a5f6220074fa0cb1e8bbcfd35117861b.jpg

It's never easy to tell imo but as long as you do everything you can to avoid shooting a sow with cubs. I once watched a giant bear for two nights making a plan to harvest what I thought was a boar only to find out on the third night it was a sow with two cubs that were hiding in the nearby timber. I watched that bear for over 6 hours over three days before I found she had cubs and it was a sow!! And of course I busted my ass and was within 200 yards when I spotted her cubs!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WParent

FNG
Real nice bear. My 46 year son and I are planning a DIY bear hunt this fall. I'm getting old and don't want to wait until I'm too old...