Am I wasting my time looking at Unit 43 (Idaho) for bear?

AustinL911

Lil-Rokslider
I'm throwing together a last minute spring bear trip for early June. I'm eyeballing around the Marshall Peak area in Unit 43 in Idaho. I'm not looking for a Booner or anything as it will be my first bear hunt. I'm just looking to get out, test some gear, spend some time in the wilderness, and hopefully glass up some bears.

Am I wasting my time looking towards unit 43 or do you think I'll have a reasonable chance of glassing some up?

todde1792

FNG
I don't know where Marshall Peak is, but there are a ton of closed roads up there right now. At least there were last week. So be sure to check before you take off, good luck!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

RustyHazen

Lil-Rokslider
I was just in that unit on Saturday. Glassed up 3 different bears first thing in the morning. The Marshall Peak area is great country, but there's still a lot of snow up high. As stated before, access will be a problem.

NickID

FNG
I was just in that unit on Saturday. Glassed up 3 different bears first thing in the morning. The Marshall Peak area is great country, but there's still a lot of snow up high. As stated before, access will be a problem.

What kind of areas were you spotting them in, timber, slides or grassy areas? Are they following the snow line up?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RustyHazen

Lil-Rokslider
These bears were well below snow line, feeding in broken timber in a steep canyon. A lot of people talk about them following the snow line, but you have to realize that the hill doesn't green up the moment the snow melts. There is always the snow line, then a zone of bare but dead grass, then the green-up. I would guess these bears were a good thousand vertical feet below solid snow.

I think 43 is worth looking at. Unit 39 has more bears though. Look halfway to Atlanta or so. +1 not trying to hunt the snowline.

vlad

Banned
look for a good outfitter. there looks of bears in Idaho. i have hunted there before.

vlad

Banned
and i hope yoou are carrying some good ammo, lung shot are best with bears/