Bait, Spot 'n' Stalk, or Hounds

OP
B
Since last year I've done mostly spot and stalk, I did set up 2 baits though. Haven't sat em much, but they were mostly to help my nephew get a bear and for me to keep tabs on bear activity. I did tag along on a hound hunt with a friend last week, turns out I still enjoy the rush of listening to the dogs working out a trail. I even tried calling a little last fall and this spring without success, but I'll keep throwing it into the mix every now and then.

BRWNBR

WKR
Never hunted bears with hounds. Although I can see where working with the dogs would be a lot of fun. Bait and spot and stalk I’ve done.
For me spot and stalk is where it’s at. Although I mostly hunt grizz/brown bear I’ve had a few dozen black bears mixed in there as well. Any bear above treeline in the Alaska tundra is great fun, especially if you can work it to sub 50 yards in wide open country. Man that’s a great experience. No bait, no cover, no dogs, no aid other than your stalking skills on a predator. Something primal about that I think. Baits great fun to, but it’s different. I imagine hounds is great fun to, but also different. Just a little something for everyone!

Those who say baiting is so easy have most likely never ran multiple baits from the beginning of a season until the end of a season. Add that to having to sit still for hours on end while hunting and you have a scenario that many cannot keep up with enough to be successful.

In short, I do whatever is practical for the location I am hunting and I have an absolute blast doing it. Best of luck!

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Baiting is hard ****ing work. But very effective. In Idaho, predators need to die! So I am for any legal means necessary. Hunting bears is great fun, no matter the discipline.

lang

Lil-Rokslider
I bait when I can. Tough with a young family and tight budget (won't let it affect elk season in any way). Baiting gives me a little more freedom to bait when kids are in school and wait for things to get good before I sit.

Fishn4eyes

Lil-Rokslider
I've done both spot and stalk and have been on three baited bear hunts in Alberta.

I like both of them.

I like the bait hunts for archery and for being very selective in bear size and sex. The guy I hunt with runs ground blinds so you are up close and personal and really get some good interaction with the bears. They'll come up and stick their heads, paws and anything else in the blind.

Pretty cool to watch the bear behavior and if a good boar comes in it puts you in a great position for an ethical shot.

I just like to hunt bears and plan on doing a hound-style hunt in BC to try something different.

To each his own, everybody has different opinions and that's just fine with me!